Hi I'm very new in MO and need gardening advice!

Mexico, MO

We are rehabbing a historic building in a lovely part of Mexico, MO with lots of old historic homes. Its an apartment from the 1920s, a mix between Spanish (think KC Plaza) and Arts & Crafts. It has a large lot behind it that we plan to fence with iron fence and then plant. We also have the landscaping around the rest of the building to do.

So far I have put out 6 variegated rose barberries in places where they should fill in over time, and also have put junipers and daylillies and a yucca looking red grass in the formal planters.

In order to discourage people hanging around who shouldn't be near basement windows I want the plantings to be thorny but also attractive. I'm thinking of conifers for structure, rambling roses for ground cover and blooms, various kinds of yuccas, golden and red barberry, and maybe some ornamental grasses. For seasonal interest I envision various wildflowers springing up and reseeding.

That catch is that the landscaping that goes in must be pretty hardy, drought tolerant, and tough. I live and garden primarily in Texas, and although we are up a great deal, I really want to put the right plants and textures in place in the first place, and get them established, then let them grow without needing too much care.

We will be there next summer to live and work on the whole thing (and do some gardening of course). And we have great neighbors who have been kind enough to water in those barberry plants and keep the planters going when it was dry this past summer. . .

This building was gorgeous in its heyday. I want it to be lovely in the community again, and I think the gardens are a big part of that. I already have 3 established trees planted across the back, 2 maples and a cedar. Also lawn (albeit with some dandelions) some mature hedges (that grow fast and needed lots of trimming this past summer.) I have a yard guy that does the routine mowing, but I want something to really pop with lots of structure, and red and yellow blooms to set of the place.

Part of why I'm asking now is I wonder what site prep I need to do for foundation beds as we head into the winter. The building has a long side facing north which gets morning sun and then afternoon shade, and the long south side gets morning shade and then afternoon sun except for the dappled shade the trees provide. The ground is pretty hard and barren right up against the north side of the building and of course I don't want to encourage water getting into the basement either by loosening the soil at the foundation too too much. . .

I want to use the trees we've already got if possible, and once the fence is up, plan to plant ornanmental grasses and daylilies along its base so the mower won't need to mow right up to the fence. . .anyway lots and lots of ideas!!

Hope a long post is OK. Just excited to find this site and learn from ya'll. We don't have WINTER like ya'll do in central Texas, so I know the garden is another animal up in central MO!

Here's the building so you can see what we are working with. We want to make it lovely again, inside and out. Thanks SO much!!

Thumbnail by virmargardens
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

My sister used to stop in your town when she came from Newton Kansas to Illinois. How about some "Knock Out " roses arround your foundation. They bloom all summer and fall and are only 3'x3' or 4'x4' shrubs. Just an idea. BEV

Mexico, MO

The "Knock Out" roses are the 5-petal deep red ones with some yellow in the center? When should I be planting those? Now or is it better to wait for spring?

I guess that generally that's a big question I have. Since the hard frosts come much earlier than I am used to, I don't know about planting timetables for 5b. Also the frosts are deeper. We were going to set some things out this month but I am worried there's not enough time for the roots to get established before the freezing weather sets in.

Also does anyone know a good nursery in Columbia or Jeff City? So far I have shopped at the box stores, since I know where those are.

Thanks so much!

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I just planted one for a nieghbor but it was from a funeral. Fall is a good time but I woulsay a little earlier. If I were you I would wait until Spring. Do search and it will give you better advice. Sorry I do not know the stores down there. Good luck. BEV

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Welcome to Missouri!

You said, and I quote: In order to discourage people hanging around who shouldn't be near basement windows I want the plantings to be thorny but also attractive. I'm thinking of conifers for structure, rambling roses for ground cover and blooms, various kinds of yuccas, golden and red barberry, and maybe some ornamental grasses. For seasonal interest I envision various wildflowers springing up and reseeding.

My answer: you don't find many plants thornier than barberry bushes - alternate the red with the lime green varities and thay will be beautiful as well as act as a barrier.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

There is a house close to Audrain Medical Center that has some of the best xeriscaping I have ever seen.. The house itself is sort of a dusty peach color , lots of blues and grays in the plants.. Just such nice landscaping. I wouldn't expect you to landscape exactly like that , but you could certainly get some ideas about what drought tolerant plants would work in this area.

Iris work so well in this area.. They are lovely in the Spring and don't take so much water throughout the rest of the year. Purple coneflowers are another one that are lovely and don't take much watering.

I have a sister that lives in Mexico. I buzz through there on occasion.

Also, Welcome to Missouri.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.