Thinking about giving Cannas Away?

Louisville, KY

I plan to dig up a lot of cannas this year and I have thought about giving a lot of them away. The main problem here is time and work. I have a few workers here and can have them do the bulk of the work. But this would mean paying for the labor and shipping of the plants not really the plants themselves. So I am not sure exactly how long it would take to package them up and ship to different parts of the country let alone the cost for each box. I posted this to see how many people would be interested in this and if it would be worth while. If not I know a few local people who are willing to come by a pick them up.
The cannas are not my top choices in fact a few are down right bad. Most look similar to species. I would be sure to put a few odd balls in with each box but on the most part these are just tall seeding cannas. If this interest enough people and it will not cost me any money I dont mind it. The problems maybe how many I can ship out and getting them out in a timely fashon as this time of the year I have the workers doing a ton of stuff. So it could take sometime to get the rhizomes off.

So if your interested and not extremely picky or can give me slack on shipping when I have the time then this maybe something I can do.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Corning, NY(Zone 5a)

Extremely interested, not picky, but if any shape or form of a white one fell in to a box for me, I would wet my pants.
Your PICS just blow me away:)Anita

Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

Oh yes, I am very interested!! Your pictures are beautiful!!! I am not picky and would be delighted with any of your culls!! :)
Sharon

(Cathy), MO

I'm interested also. Anything would be fine.

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

Me too BW,
But while I would like to get something for postage, why not list them in the ads, it would cost you $5 for the ad and maybe you could recoup your costs.
With that said, I would be more than will to pay a few bucks...
So either way, let me know, I am interested!

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

absolutely. i like the ad idea myself. i would love to be able to get end of the year clearance cannas thru the classifieds. but if you do this be sure to post it EVERYWHERE.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm interested!! Not picky, any will work.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Interested too. Willing to pay adoption fees!

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

I am VERY interested!

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

me too

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Very willing to pay adoption and relocation fees..................

Louisville, KY

I will post something up soon on the other form when I get to digging them up. Good to hear so many are interested. THANKS

(Jan) So Milw, WI(Zone 5b)

I would be interested too!

NYVOICES99: ROFLMAO!!!!

Orlando, FL

I would be interested too...what fun. I love to look at all you do. If you get the boxes from USPS that say all you can fill up to 20 pounds. You can put probably 10 or more in a box. Not sure how many you want to clear out. But may be worth it for you. I paid 8.95 for a box and sent 13 smaller tubers in it. And if you go get the boxes..you can call for pick up at your place. I would gladly pay shipping any way you decide to go with it.

Thanks
Robyn

Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

Which other forum?? I don't want to lose track!

Sharon

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I'd love a box too. Please reference this thread if you can so I don't miss if you post on another forum.

Deborah

Louisville, KY

Due to the rain and weather I am running behind. I will post when I plan to put these up.

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

i would love some also

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Anita, you are killing me here:))))) Sounds like a canna free-for-all...at least for postage!
Bev

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

I would be interested in getting some of your cannas too.

(jax) Dundalk, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes, I am still interested, in any format you choose to use. Just let me know when you are ready for adoption fees.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

I'm interested also and will pay for the shipping also.

west allis, WI(Zone 4b)

Me too please

(Becky) Colmesneil, TX(Zone 8b)

Is it too late???? I want some too..lol THANKS!!!

Louisville, KY

I plan to thin the hurd later this summer. I never went through with this because of kidney stones at the end of the season which made it impossible for me to dig the plants up before winter hit. Sorry for letting you all down but I was in bad pain for many weeks.

(Becky) Colmesneil, TX(Zone 8b)

No problem bwilliams.... I am so sorry to know you were so sick. I have never had kidney stones but have heard you would just as soon die... they hurt so bad!!
Hope you are feeling better!!

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

glad to hear that maybe the worst is over, brian. did they do lithotripsy or surgery? keep us informed so we can cheer you on.

Louisville, KY

I was in pain for 2 to 3 weeks which would come and go depending on what I was doing. I was able to pass the stones at home thank goodness. Kideny stones seem to runs in my family. Around the same time I had the stones my father had 2 stones, one in each kidney the sizes of quaters. He was rushed to the hospital and had to stay in for several weeks sense two kidney stones at the same time are life threatening and can shut down both kidneys. My small stones were in no way compared to his. He had to have surgery for both kidneys. It seems every 2 to 3 years we get a kidney stone attack in the house.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Brian, sorry to hear about your stones. I do know how they hurt, for 15 years I was having stones every 6 months and had to have surgery each time for removal. Bad stuff until they found out it was my thyroid causing excess calcium in my body. Had thyroid surgery and have gone over a year without any stones. So if you go ahead and decide to get rid of the cannas just keep us informed and we can go from there. Take care and drink lots of water.

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

Hi Brian! I'm sorry to hear about your kidney stones....My sister Trish had them a couple of years ago and said it was the worst pain she'd ever had. Even worse than having a baby. Ouch!!!

If you decide on thinning out your cannas I'm still interested also. I would also love to purchase some canna seed of your pretty/different cannas. PLMK

Northern Piedmont, NC(Zone 7b)

Brian, I would also be interested in some of your cannas.

Jean

Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

I am so sorry to hear of your kidney stone problems-----I have also been told that the pain is much worse that childbirth, and certainly not as rewarding!
I am still interested in any of your cannas that you might be thinning.
Take and keep well.

Sharon

Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

I am so sorry to hear of your kidney stone problems-----I have also been told that the pain is much worse that childbirth, and not nearly as rewarding!
I am still interested in any of your cannas that you might be thinning.
Take and keep well.

Sharon

Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

Ooops!

Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

If you still have some I would be interested in some and would gladly pay postage,and I don't care what kind or color. Sorry to hear about your kidney problems, take care of your self. Thanks Susan

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I bet Brian lost this on his watch list because he has been posting on other threads.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Ouch on the stones!! The hospital was quite full when my ex was admitted for kidney stones. The only room available was the maternity ward! Everyone deliver babies on that floor, and this man delivered kidney stones! He had since appreciate motherhood.

Hull,Ga, GA(Zone 8a)

Brian, I am interested in the Cannas too. Hope your feeling better and when you are well, can start your gardening again. Be well

Louisville, KY

I am okay now the stones just hit at a very bad time right during the end of last season when I was taking stuff inside. It made is impossible for me to get the cannas dug up intime and they were mulched over. Once they start coming up. I plan to move them and seperate them. I will post more once that gets started.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i would love some, and am also willing to pay adoption and relocation costs

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.