Is this a skunk?

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

This critter has been coming to our back yard every night and eating the bird seed off the ground at the base of the feeding station pole. It was so dark, all I could see was the blob of white. Fearing that it was a skunk who would stink up the place if I set off a flash, I hesitated to take the picture. But last night I got courageous. And he/she(?) didn't even care. It's not the best photo, too fuzzy for my taste, but at least we finally have an idea what it looks like. DH is convinced it's a skunk and it certainly is shaped like a skunk. But shouldn't there be a black strip down the back? Maybe it's a baby?

Thumbnail by bebop2
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I think it is a great shot considering the subject matter! It is indeed a skunk. We have them around here too, we call them negative skunks. Ours have white where the black usually is and black where the white usually is but all combos are possible really. You have guts to take that pic and not startle him, good work.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I need a better closeup to tell - couple feet away if possibe ;)

Missouri City, TX

bigcityal,
You trying to get someone in trouble? lol

Raised 2 of them years ago. They are quite docile, but don't startle them. they usually will look at you and stomp their front feet as a warning if they feel threatened.

They have 2 scent glands, and are capable of firing each up to 6 times, but can also completely "unload" in a single blast.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

'Negative' skunks should spray perfume!

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I was out walking one winter morning with a skunk coming up the path toward me - I stopped and waited and it kept coming closer - finally it looked up and turned and walked away. Thankfully.

3 dead skunks on our road this past week - yuck!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

That's an old song ;)

They seem to be out and about more getting hit in the fall.

Right in the middle of a construction zone - poor workers!

North Augusta, ON

Yup...bin a bad week for raccoons here....lookin for someplace to hole up for the winter I guess.....

Bad week for Red Sox and Diamondback fans too.

The 3 HR's in a row in the sixth last night was pretty cool, but not the bottom of the fifth!

Venice, CA(Zone 10a)

Hey Bebop2; It is an excaped pet (Hybrid) skunk.It has already been fixed.Start feeding it dry cat food and you'll soon have another "kitty".They make Great pets.-

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Baby skunks are very cute :-)

Missouri City, TX

Good pets, yes -- but be sure that all the trash cans have pet-proof lids. They are nocturnal and LOVE to scrounge in the garbage -- you will wake to find that a "one-player" soccer match occurred and every item was the "ball" at some point during the night.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

an almost blond one???? never seen one like that either!

Not a natural blond though.

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

We live out in the country and the dang things always start coming around this time of year. Our St. Bernard got sprayed this week. You can just imagine!!!!

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

I'm trying to imagine how many quarts of tomato juice a St. Bernard would require to get rid of the smell. . . . TJ is what we use on skunk-sprayed pets, but this would require clearing out the supermarket shelves!!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Wow, that's a new one on me! I've never seen a skunk that was anything but the traditional black/white. are you sure this is, though? it looks like a badger to me, but they're bigger, aren't they?

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

I've never seen any like this either but I'm going with ngam's post about the negatives.

I had one last year that was mostly white on top. Didn't stick around to ask him to identify himself!

Brewster, MA(Zone 6b)

Skunks around here look like that.

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Wait, now I'm confused! I've never ever seen a skunk with a black stripe! Every single skunk I've ever seen (and I've seen a lot - knew a few too. But I digress..) anyway, every skunk I've ever seen has always been black with a white stripe! Just like the one in the photo! Are there really skunks that are white with black stripes?!

Venice, CA(Zone 10a)

Hey Guys; http://chrisinorl.home.att.net/ Check out "Becky" at 1 year old.These are exotic/Hybrids that do not exist in the wild.The fact that she didn't mind the flash at night lets you know it isn't a wild animal.At most its feral.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

how cute!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I can't let DD see those cute skunk photos - she loves animals, and would want to get a pet skunk.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

well.. remember skunks have HIGH rate of rabies. I am surprised at the skunk eating at the feeder. Skunks generally eat the same stuff cats do, not into "seeds". I was all prepared to enlarge your pic and disagree with the id of skunk but it really does appear to be a skunk!

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Why don't you scare it and see what happens?

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Melsatz, I like the way you think! THAT would remove all doubt!! hehehe

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

prairie home companion "News from Lake Woebegone" featured a close encounter of the shunkish kind today...
i was thinking of y'all!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.