Info on shaping an orange tree

Lytle (near San Anto, TX(Zone 8b)

I have a small orange tree that I purchased last fall. I put it into the ground later in the spring, since we had just moved last December to a new place. It had already bloomed and had tiny orange buds on it when I put it in the ground. It has 3 oranges on it still. What I need to know is how can I / should I prune it up this winter to shape it more into a tree form, rather than the sprawling shrub half laying on the ground? Would I treat it as I would any other tree I'd prune? I just don't want to damage it and want to make sure it will fruit in the future. Thanks for any help in advance.

Judy

Thumbnail by sunnydove
La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Citrus don't need much pruning and naturally have a crown that almost touches the ground. The canopy protects the bark from sun scorch. Having said that, pruning when needed is done in the spring before new growth begins. In you little tree's case, give it time to grow some. At that size, any leaves lost, reduces its growth rate. That canopy also helps protect the roots. One more thing: I know it's thrilling to have fruit, but that requires a lot of the tree's energy. Energy that could be used to help it grow. As it grows, you can remove a lower branch or two without making too much of an impact.

mulege, Mexico

If you want a tree that will give you lots of fruit you need to let it first develop a good root system. I'd remove any fruit that are on it now and let it put its energy into making roots. You will be rewarded many times over in the future. When I move any tree I cut the folage back for the same reason, to give the roots less to take care of.

katiebear

Lytle (near San Anto, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the info everyone. I appreciate it so much.

Judy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.