Customizing an Irrigation System

Columbia, SC

I recently had an irrigation system installed in back and front yards. I live in Columbia SC and the heat has been blistering. My lawn and plants never would have survived without this. I asked the installer if I could add to the system as I added more plants, and he encouraged me to do it, and even brought me some basic supplies: 1/4 inch tubing, spray heads, emiters, etc. We have a Mediterranean look in the back yard with lots of potted plants along a set of wide steps. Today I figured out a way to create a string of adjustable spray heads along the pots going up each side of the staris. I have a tube that fits into the bottom side of the lower channel on the iron railings and from this I added a series of T fittings with short tubes connecting to each spray head for each pot. I am now able to adjust the water going into each pot so I won't have water going all over the place. I have a fountain nearby and it needs to be filled frequently. I am going to try using a tube that slips into the back of the fountain basin and will fill it every other day automatically. In the front of the house we have window boxes on the second story and it is more trouble than it is worth to move furniture, open windows, and water with a water can. I bought some beige tubing that I'm planning to bring up to the window boxes so those get watered every other day. Again, I'll use adjustable spray heads or emiters so I can control how much water these plants get. I bought a few things at dripworks.com but most everything you need is at Lowes. Don't look just in the gardening department; a lot of the irrigation parts are in plumbing.

This thread has 11 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!