Popping Pink Iris

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

At least that's what I think the label says. Does anybody know if there is an iris by that name?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

There is no iris registered with the AIS under that name, unless it is perhaps a 2007 introduction. Mary, get in touch with the person from whom you acquired that iris. They should be able to tell you the proper name.

Laurie

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Thanks, I don't know where it came from. I might have bought it on Ebay, or at a discount store. I've had it for a couple of years or more. I got some from a neighbor who got them from somebody else, so I guess I will have to enjoy it as another w/o a name.

Now another ? is there one named Champagne Elegance?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Yes, Champagne Elegance is a well known iris. You can find pics of it in the PlantFiles.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Popping Pink sounds like the sort of "garden name" someone would give a pink iris that pops up in their garden. That's one of the dangers of giving cutsie garden names to plants. Sometimes those garden names follow a plant from one garden to another, where the garden name is then assumed to be a registered name.

As you said, it's best to just enjoy the plant as a lovely unknown to avoid any such confusion.

Laurie

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I name mine for the person who gave them to me. I have a yellow named Holly's Yellow, so I will remember that it came from a friend of mine named Holly. I asked Holly what it was called and she said, "Yellow". Hence my name for it.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

How about "Erika's Mauve NOID" That way I can recall where the gift came from and still recognize that it is an unknown. And when it gets shared there won't be any confusion re: it's name.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Sounds good to me!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.... Trying to identify a noid is tough with so many similiar iris in cultivation. Grannymarsh's idea seems a good way to keep track of them.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

I think you're right, I won't worry about what it's real name is, and when it blooms I might name it based on what I see. Or it might just be Noid Pink.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Give it a pet name of your own!

My great grandfather was a NYC policeman and in those days, more than a century ago, it was common for mothers who just couldn't keep a baby to leave it on a policeman's doorstep. I'd have had great uncle "no I.D." unless they had named him!

Iowa has a policy like that--you can leave a baby with the police, fire department or any hospital up to a certain age without charges of abandonment. The babies then get adopted out.

Well, this was back in the 1850's and it was common practice back then to give the child to someone who had a reliable job and could offer the child love and a good life.

I think that giving your chance at a better life is a gift of love that works two ways: for the child and for the parents who raise the child.

I agree and it just happened that it's been something that's happened generation after generation with several adoptions bringing such joy to lives.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.