What to use for bugs?

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I am so new to this country and have bought a few plants that I will be keeping outside. While I was outside repotting there were all kinds of flying bugs and some ants too. So what do you all use to treat your outside plants to keep the bugs away? I used a product called Bayer Tree and Shrub. I have not seen it anywhere here and was wondering if they even sell it here. Has anyone seen this product and if so, where can I buy it? And also, what do the rest of you use outside to keep the bugs away. I would love to hear some of your suggestions.

Thanks,
Jesse

Adelaide, Australia(Zone 10a)

It sort of depends on the bugs. What do you mean keep them away?? There's always natural things like garlic and/or chili sprays. If you have an infestation on a plant ie: aphids, there's Confidor or pyrethrum sprays. If you have mozzies, the Aussie version of Off is Aeroguard but I think Off is available here now. There are also systemic chemicals that penetrate the plant and keep bugs off ie: Success, Dipel (for caterpillars), Maverick. I'm not a big chemical user unless absolutely necessary. I stick to garlic spray for aphids, I don't mind ants unless they get in the house and I used Dipel on our brassicas last Autumn because of caterpillers but did my research first and found it to be a low toxic systemic with a short with-holding period and only had to use it twice early on to keep it in check. Hope this helps.

Have you had an encounter with a huntsman yet?? Scary but harmless - unless you're a bug!!!

This message was edited Oct 14, 2007 6:02 PM

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Well I just repotted them so it is more of a protection instead of a cute. I just want to make sure that they do not get attacked before something comes after them.

Jesse

what type of plants are you potting up??

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I potted up a ficus elastica decora, a jade plant, and a black prince succulent. I also have an asparagus plant and a clivia that i need to repot.

Jesse

snails/slugs may like your clivia and possibly the black prince. I don't know anything that would go after asparagus plant. btw, is that asparagus fern?? It's actually considered a weed in my parts of Aus. Likes it here too much. Ficus can get scale in my experience but again, I would wait to see if it happens before spraying it.

Hi all,

I came across this website; http://www.ecoorganicgarden.com.au and wondered if anyone else has tried these organic products. I'm interested in the backyard buddies. In the US, it was easy to find ladybirds and preying mantis boxes to use in the home garden. Looks like this is strictly mail order at the moment. Anyway, the products look like an interesting alternative to chemicals.

PS - I'm not endorsing these products since I haven't tried them yet. Just looking for feedback.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.