What to use for bugs?

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I am so new to this country and have bought a few plants that I will be keeping outside. While I was outside repotting there were all kinds of flying bugs and some ants too. So what do you all use to treat your outside plants to keep the bugs away? I used a product called Bayer Tree and Shrub while living in the US. I have not seen it anywhere here and was wondering if they even sell it here. Has anyone seen this product and if so, where can I buy it? And also, what do the rest of you use outside to keep the bugs away. I would love to hear some of your suggestions.

Thanks,
Jesse

Spiders....... :)
but really........ I use echo white oil .....and 10 parts milk to 9 parts water for any fungus .......you might hear from others ....I don't use poisons of any kind in my garden.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

If you want to stop ants climbing up the stems of plants and spreading aphids or scale, wrap a piece of cloth around the stem and coat it with vasoline. Its too sticky for them to cross.
I too use white oil (google for recipe) and rely on companion planting and letting plants go their full cycle to encourage predator and beneficial bugs.
I don't use chemicals where possible either.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

This is the only thing I could find on white oil. Is it right?

Blend together 2 cups of vegetable oil and 1/2 cup of dishwashing liquid.

Use at the rate of 1tablespoon of the above mix to 1L of water.

Is this the right thing?

I also found a chemical called White Oil to spray too but it is an insectiside.

Thanks,
Jesse

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Thats the one Jesse. Its good for white fly, scale insects and mealy bug. It smothers them and they suffocate. (what a way to go)
Make sure you use vege oil because anything related to petroleum is not good for plants. Thats why if you use Vasoline, it needs to be applied to a pice of cloth to keep it from touching the plant material.
My daughters name is Jesse, spelled the same way too.
Good luck
Sue
P.S There are slug and snail pellets that are deemed safe to wild life because they contain only Iron Chellate. They are reasonably priced and available at some supermarkets and garden suppliers. They are also safe around domestic pets.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.