What Is This Tree??

Southington, CT(Zone 6b)

I came across this unknown (to me) tree growing apparently wild in some CT woodland. It's very tall (30-40'), with clusters of rather large (1") yellow-orange seed-pods & elongated leaves. It's probably something not that unusual. Any ideas? Photo:

Thumbnail by NERM88
Southington, CT(Zone 6b)

What, no guesses at all??

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Wish I could help Nerm. Do you have a shot of the whole tree?

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

It looks just like the fruit on my crabapple tree (dont know which variety).
There are so many varieties of these but mine has fruit about the size of a dime or smaller.
I got mine free from the national arbor association and the birds love it.

chris

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

That would be my guess as well without seeing the tree.

Hanover Twp., PA(Zone 6a)

How about Diospyros virginiana, Common persimmon, an edible berry yellow to orange and ripe in October.

This message was edited Oct 15, 2007 7:22 PM

Southington, CT(Zone 6b)

My gosh, I think mgarr's hit it on the head-- a persimmon! I did some Googling & it sure looks like it. The seedpods very much resemble the hips of rosa rugosa, the beach-rose. Interesting part is that the American persimmon (Diospyros virginiana) is basically a Southern tree but is said to range up to coastal New York, which isn't that far from here. There's all kinds of intriquing food recipes using it, too.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Didn't know that one. The whole seed pods lost me.

Southington, CT(Zone 6b)

Update: I've been gorging myself on these persimmons lately. The trick is to pick the fully ripened fruit (later stage than shown), which softens & deepens in color. Tastes very much like pumpkins.

Hanover Twp., PA(Zone 6a)

Enjoy! I've only seed this tree at the Philadelphia Zoo. I'm jealous.

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Ok, now I want one too!

chris

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.