My wonderful woodpeckers have returned !!!!

Florence, MS(Zone 8b)

the sapsucker was the only one i could get a pic of. There was tapping and calling going on all over. from one end to the other. The same way at other spots where I stopped. It seemed like every trail had it's own debugging crew. I also found plenty of ripe berries, fruits and seeds to explain why many of the birds are not in backyards right now.

Thumbnail by f_chisolm
Marlton, NJ

Thats a beauty!

Do you know what type of bush it is?

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Meanwhile, my sapsucker has brought company! I was so tickled watching them yesterday. These seem to favor the sap of apple trees, and this tree would appear to be their favorite. One of them returned all day long to this particular tree.

I'm wondering, because of facial color pattern, if one of these is a Red-naped X Red-breasted. It has a white "eyebrow" and long stripe above the beak. The other has no brow, and less white in the stripe. My books don't show this as a way to determine gender.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Frank, I sympathise! I live on a little traveled mountain hiway, and wish I had a bumper sticker indicating frequent picture taker. I am often pulled over at the edge of the roadway w/ flashers going, and sometimes wandering a bit of distance for lack of wide spots.

Marlton, NJ

Thats great tiger!!!

I'll have to check into this later!

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

They are known to X in areas where both are located. I have a facial close-up of one, hopefully can obtain one of the other.

This message was edited Oct 20, 2007 7:04 AM

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Here's one WP, for marking comparison.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

The other.

Thumbnail by tigerlily

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.