Desperately need bunny supplies

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

I've gone bunny crazy and need water bottles, feeders, kindling boxes, etc. I'll buy or trade plants or plant books for this stuff. Need cages too if anybody local sees this. I bought 3 Mini Rex and 2 Mini Lops yesterday and will be getting Holland Lops, and more Mini Rexes tomorrow. Spur of the moment but it's getting my depressed self out of the house! Bunny info is welcome too since I'm new to the rabbit thing. Oh, one of my bunnies was bred yesterday on the way home so should be having babies in a month ;~D Can't wait!

Jasper, AR(Zone 7a)

May have some feeders etc, will look tomorrow. whatcha got to trade?
Tommie

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Hi, Tommie, I have named daylilies, named iris, begonias, sun coleus cuttings, variegated jade plants, Better Homes and Gardens New Complete Guide To Gardening, The New Gardener by Pippa Greenwood, old Country Living Mags, various house plants, other plants I'm sure but most of my perennials I don't want to bother because of the drought. I maybe be able to come up with some other things though who knows...

Thanks!
Lana

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

WOW Lana, you jumped in with both feet BIG time if this is your first time with bunnies! HOLY cow!

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

LOL, that's me. I use to raise goats. Had almost 40 at one time so it's not a matter of knowing animals just learning about bunnies ;)

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I hope you will consider adopting bunnies also. There are so many out there that need homes because they have outgrown their "cute baby" stages. I have 2 females that were rescues and they get along great in one raised cage 3 ft by 8 ft. Contact your local "freecycle" list if you have one to see if anyone has supplies.

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

I do rescue bunnies from freecycle. I have two dutch neutered females that came from freecycle. They are in a large raised cage with a mini rex buck and they all get along fine. I've also rescued small dogs from freecycle and got them into rescues where they could be spayed and find good homes.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Wheres Buffalo WV? Paul

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

The zip is 25033. It's in the western part of the state. To the south of central if that makes any sense ;)

Lana

Sebring, FL(Zone 9a)

First, please read up on caring for the rabbits. Not only caring for their physical well-being, but their mental well-being also, since rabbits are literally programmed to die-from-fright when they are scared.

Here is the first place I send anyone that is even thinking of getting a rabbit, right after I tell them to learn first and then see about getting one:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/etherbun.html

A few tips, do not keep them in wire-floor cages, their feet are not made to handle the metal cage. Make sure to give an overabundance of fresh timothy hay and fresh water, every day. Those two are absolute "musts" for the well-being of your rabbits, as well as lots of room to play.

Find a rabbit rescue or house rabbit society close by or join the etherbun group from the link - and learn all you can. You have taken on a lot, all at once. Wishing you the best, and wishing the rabbits the best.

- Christine - proud owner of a rescue rabbit.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I have 2 female rescues that are kept in a raised cage with wire floor. I keep hay on the bottom of the cage. It allows for greater air circulation to keep the hay dry. The hay does fall through the wire along with droppings,etc. and needs to be added to 1-2 The good thing is the hay that falls below can go in the compost pile to be recycled for the garden.
My cage is 3ft wide, 3ft tall and about 8 ft long and raised about 3 feet above ground on galvanized fences posts so they get plenty of exercise.

This message was edited Dec 28, 2007 8:44 AM

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

From what I've found out online and from local breeders is that wire floors are fine as long as the rabbits have a solid resting space like a piece of plywood or area of hay/straw for them to sit on. Some bunnies aren't very clean in their cages but some are. I go by an individual basis. Thanks for the link. I'll be checking it out :)

lana

Orlando, FL

I did pet rescue for years....had to take a break...got burned out. I had 13 bunnies at one time. I built them a huge...2 story outdoor cage with a hutch built into it. I see this is old. How are the bunnies now? Just wondering.

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

I still have a pair of sisters I rescued last year and figure I'll have an influx later this spring/summer from bunnies sold at easter. I also breed and show rabbits, you can see my website here www.daisypatchrabbits.homestead.com And I work with 2 different dog rescues.

I have cages in two sheds now so have plenty of room for the rescues I'm likely to be getting. Rescue can really get you down sometimes because it's never ending. People come up with some of the most ridiculous excuses as to why they can't keep their pet. Some people do have legitimate reasons they can't work around but some people don't even try.

Lana

Here's one of my newest babies, Klondike, a Dwarf Hotot rabbit. He's full grown at 2.5lbs. Quite a character too :)

Thumbnail by Wvdaisy
Orlando, FL

Oh how pretty. I only have one of my rescue bunnies left. He is a sweetheart...spoiled rotten too. He is getting old and it shows. But he rubs on my hands to be petted and begs for some leaves off of the cypress trees. He loves those things. We have a big veggie garden so he gets lots of fresh foods and Good rabbit food. I love to here were people do rescue. I had 149 animals during the hurricanes a few years ago. It was so hard to care for them without water or electric. I had purchased 2 brand new trashcans and cleaned then and filled them for drinking water. But cleaning cages was just not working out. We had no power for 5 or 6 days. I did what I could.. But it was exhausting. I still have about 30 animals...some to old to get homes for. Some with medical conditions. This I can handle. I do love animals of any kind. Pat yourself on the back for being the kind of person that cares. The Rabbits would if they could

Keep up the good work.

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Thanks! Wow, you did go thru it with all those animals during the Hurricanes. Think you need many more pats on the back than I do!!! I feel so for the animals during a disaster. I did some long distance animal help during Katrina.

Lana

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

So cute! I have a rabbit that I got a few years ago when I took a day off of work about 2 weeks after Easter. I heard rustling around the flower pots by the front door and poked around and there he was! He's sort of orange and white and smallish with the drooped ears. He was about as big as my hand (I'm 5 ft tall) and that day off ended up costing me $100 right off the bat. He was an Easter present that some neighbors kicked out.

So glad I found him. He's a hoot and very feisty with a definite mind of his own:LOL: I couldn't come up with a good name for him. He wasn't a cutesy sort so by the time I really decided to try to name him, he was already responding to "Rabbit" spoken in a firm tone...which I had to use whenever he started doing something naughty like tossing things around or trying to harass the cats. So now he is Rabbit:)

Orlando, FL

HAHAHA....dmac...I have a dog named Girl....she was dumped when she got to weak to have puppies all the time. I was told you take her or I run her over...nice guy huh. Any way..she was about 6 or 7 years old and had been in a pen having puppies since she was 7 months old. They never took the time to even give her a name. He called her girl and the male boy. She has seizures from having to many puppies. We will keep her for the rest of her life. She loves us and we love her. She never took to a name so we call her Girl the only thing she ever knew. I think when I see her sunning with her belly to the sun...she looks happy now. I will never understand how some people treat animals....is makes me sick.

Daisy how are the bunnies doing? I thought of you and wanted to check. I am thinking of growing some alfafa for mine...just for fun. I got a little seed pack from a friend and thought it would be fun and good for him too. I so look forward to the smell of fresh cut alfafa. I have not smelled that since I was a girl. I would love and update on the bunnies.

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

The rabbits are doing great! Have two that are having babies today. :) I've been showing some of them, meeting new people, making new friends, and just having a blast. Here's a litter of 3 wk old Holland Lops. www.daisypatchrabbits.homestead.com

Thumbnail by Wvdaisy
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Wvdaisy, They are so adorable! Makes me think of when my bunny was just a bitty thing:) So cute!

They are definitely a conversation starter...when I took Rabbit with me to Petsmart the first couple of times I was stopped on every aisle and the employees were loving on him. He loves cuddling and is very calm to hold so they're always encouraging me to bring him back since they mostly see dogs at the store.

Orlando, FL

Ohhhhhhhhh how sweet. I am glad they are doing well for you. I wish I could donate the 2 story rabbit cage I have to you. It is HUGE. I do not keep my rabbit outside anymore. When I had a bunch of rabbits we built it. It is 8' x 8' and 7 feet tall. With a walking ramp going to upper level and hutch built in the upper story. It was raised off the ground about a foot so we could clean it easily. Not fancy to look at but very functional. They loved it out there. To many dogs running our neighborhood now...so I do not want my rabbit outside.

dmac....it is so cool that you take your bunny on outings. I never once thought let me take my rabbit for a ride. I did have a cat that was leash trained and took him out sometimes. It confused little kids though...seeing a cat on a leash taking a walk.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

He's fun:) I have a harness and leash for him but mainly use that if we go in the back yard area. I carry him in the pet store...not as often as when he was smaller but the employees are always asking about him when I'm shopping. I thought about trying the harness thing with one of the kitties but I don't think that they would stand for it:lol:

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Sounds like the perfect bunny abode, Moofiepoo!

Orlando, FL

Yeah they loved it. They could reach the branches of the cypress trees and eat some. They love that stuff.

dmac....the cat I had leash trained was a kitten when I started. I put aharness on for a short while first. Then for longer. Then I started walking him. Then I took him outside with it and he decided it was a good deal. The best time to teach them is when they are small. Not all take to the leash. But it sure is nice when they do. I found it made it easier to get homes for them if I could leash train them I did pet rescue for a lot of years and I was the who did bottle babies. I raised 42 bottle babies in 3 months a couple of years ago. I leash trained several of them. It is a novelty to a lot of people. I had a black female cat who liked to dress up. She got a home real fast...unusual for a black cat. I will look and see if I still have a picture of her dressed up.

Have a great day all.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5b)

Come over here if you ever have any rabbit questions:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1049540/

I volunteer with pet rabbits.
The subject of catching rabbits comes up now and then in various garden threads.
I thought it would help if I put this out there widely to try to let people know more about rabbits.

If you see domestic RABBITS LOOSE OUTDOORS -

EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW how to catch a loose domestic rabbit (aka: House Rabbit, Pet Bunny, "meat" rabbit, anything besides our wild American cottontails).

They're an entirely different species from our wild cottontails and cannot survive out there on their own.

Here's a good link to explain. Please look at it even if you don't think you'll have to do it. You might besurprised someday or be able to answer the question for one of your gardening friends. http://www.rabbitcare.org/catch_a_stray.htm

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.