How to set a favourite?

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

There is a thread on rose propogation that I want to list as a favourite. But there are no instructions on how to do this. Any ideas?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

All threads have a 'watch thread' icon above the text box. You just need to click on that.

No u in favorite ;)~

North Augusta, ON

If you want to save a favourite thread or post, click on the little envelope icon next to the search at the top right of the page. There is a "u" in favourite if yer Canadian :)))

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I would think that the U's would get blocked at the border by the cyberlinguistics ;)

Michaela - if you posted in that thread it should be watched automatically - unless you 'unwatched it'
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/777691/

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes, that's true, as long as people keep posting. This is a thread I want to keep for future reference, Al., Oh, by the way, all the rest of the English-speaking world uses the "u." Apparently, Americans needed a simpler version (lol). And it's 'zed,' not 'zee' :-)

I never knew that about the little envelope (in fact, I never even noticed it before. Thanks, threegardeners. (We Canucks have to stick together :-)

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

And it's the Americans who use English units! Please explain. Not to mention that really weird pronunciation of 'aluminum' - pronounced as if it's 'aluminium'!

Little known historical fact - the British wanted to tax the Colonists on each letter used - hence the dropping of the 'u'. You can imagine what the American slogan was - informing them what to do with the 'u'.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

hahahaha - well the British government was filled with cold-hearted bast**ds at the time (rotten buroughs and all) What a novel idea! Tax the letters used . . . I heard the Teddy Roosevelt commissioned the Webster's Dictionary people to come up with a simplified spelling for the American people eg. theater for theatre. etc.

Does anyone know which story is correct - or are both correct?

As for pronounciation - I find con - TROV- vi-cy (with two "short" o sounds ) very amusing compared with vs. our CONtroversy. Given the rules of phonetics, the North American version is more correct. :-)

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

One of my pet peeves is the mispronunciation of 'nuclear' as 'nucular'. It seems to be more common in the South.

Never heard the TR story.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.