does anyone grow tomatoes in GH for winter harvest ?

Rancho Cordova, CA(Zone 9a)

The Greenhouse expert br Dr D. G. Hessayon
page 68-72 Tomatoes

Tomato seed is sown in a propagator - a temperature of at least 60-65 F is necessary for satisfactory germination. This is done in late December for planting out in a heated GH (minimum 50-55 degrees) in late February or early march for a May-June crop

for a cold GH min temp 28 degrees sow in a propagator in early March and plant out in GH late April

keep temperature below 80 degrees

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Jim.... I don't know. But I'm gonan give it a try this winter if I can keep the gh at 55F at least. No problem doing that durign the day, just at night. But thinking if it gets really cold may make a greenhouse in a greenhouse type structure to keep em warm . Thinking about using pvc to make a small hoop house in side the gh that the plastic can be rolled back off of easily durign the day to keep the moisture and humidity down.

You might consider asking on the tomato forum. I know some of them tomato people grow massive crops in a gh , but not sure if anybody does winter ones.

Fulton, MO

I have done it. Maybe in zone 9 you will have more success than I did. I grew 'Trust' in ground beds and later in containers using supplemental MH lighting...had a small, limited harvest. I did have fresh February salsa one year, using toms and cilantro from the GH. Mostly I just did it to say that I did it. ;-)

Whiteflies are a major problem with GH tomatoes. Just so you know.

FYI, and this is just my personal opinion, but you'd be way farther ahead with Shane Smith's book as compared to the book you reference above. Two examples...none of the GH tomato varieties most commonly listed appear on his list of tom varieties there on pp 69-70. Turn a couple of pages forward to the cucumber discussion, and you see no reference to european cucumbers. ?!?

SB

Fulton, MO

This is a useful link: http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p1828.htm This may be intended for commercial growers, yet the information is accurate, IMHO.

Quoting:
Because of specific production requirements, greenhouse tomatoes cannot be termed an “easy” crop to grow. They are one of the more difficult horticultural crops to produce with many procedures that must be followed to insure a healthy, productive crop...The time necessary to grow greenhouse tomatoes is much greater on a per unit basis than any field vegetable crop...Greenhouse tomatoes need regular attention. Unlike many field crops that can be planted, sprayed on a fixed schedule, and then harvested after so many days have elapsed, tomatoes must be examined daily. Because the growth system is complex, many things can go wrong. Raising a greenhouse tomato crop may be more similar to maintaining a herd of dairy cows than to growing a field crop of vegetables...The greenhouse environment is not a sterile one. There is a common misconception that crops grown in greenhouses do not have insects and diseases. Just the opposite is true. While a greenhouse environment is excellent for growing tomatoes (and other vegetables), it is even better for propagating insect pests and disease organisms. Due to the higher temperature, higher relative humidity, and lush, green foliage, insects and diseases are constant threats once introduced into a greenhouse.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.