blew my October budget

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

My October garden budget is shot, it got cool and I bought a small fire pit for my patio. It was so relaxing to sit outside tonight, feeding sticks that are too big for the compost heap into my little fire. I'm happy and relaxed. Ahhhhzzzzzz, goodnight.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I can picture you now, relaxing in the glow of the little fire there on the deck/patio. Even small fires can put off quite a bit of warmth. That's a good way to use those little twigs. Too many people believe that they are worthless and just throw them into a fire to be burned just to get rid of them . I am working on breaking up a lot of little stuff that is really too small for the chipper. I'll just throw them under a shrub and let them rot down slowly but surely becoming once more part of the earth. In the meantime they help hold in moisture and keeps weeds out. If there aren't very many of them I will lay down cardboard or feed sacks and put the twigs on them. The addition of alfalfa meal, manure too hot for adding right to the soil around the roots, etc. will help them to decay faster.

I wish you could be here with us for the RU tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you tho. GOD bless and keep you and yours.

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Cathy----- Have you ever been out to Wine Country Gardens on Hwy 94 near Defiance. It is a real nice place. We sometimes get off of Hwy 54 in Jefferson City and come up to St Charles down Hwy 94 from for the sole purpose of stopping there. We may very well be coming to live in that area in a year are so. I have made a circle of areas 50 to 60 miles out of St Louis and we are starting to look a little bit at real estate. We are also looking at the Herman, Hawks Point, Clarksville and Hannible areas.

O, I've only been down that road once in the fall when a huge thunderstorm was coming, so we didn't get to stop. What a lovely area, rolling hills, colored leaves, well it just may be time to take a drive. Good luck in your search, are you hoping for acres? I would love even one acre. C

There are tewo times that 94 is at its best. first is when the dogwoods and red buds are blooming. the second time is when the woods reach color peak in the fall. I do not care to drive 94 a great deal in the fall in the St Louis area. All people from St Louis are out there looking and tasting wine at the wine places. I do not trust them driving around me. I will send you the link to wine country gardens. It is really a nice place.

http://winecountrygardens.net/

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

cathy, how fun! I had a fire in my chimenea this morning... out there gathering plants, for the fall haul (to the basement). Wine?? Did someone say wine AND gardens???? Oz, nice place... I'd buy a bottle and take it home... I'm not a wine-o, but I appreciate a glass from time to time.... I like getting the area's local wines when I'm traveling. That really isn't smart or safe unless you had a designated driver, of course, that would be fun.... So, they get you all relaxed and fuzzy, then let you at their plant stock? lol

The thing is Wine Country Gardens is only one of several vinyards in that area. Must be 1/2 dozen on hwy 94 alone. St louis people go out there in the fall when the trees are coloring up and taste,and buy wine here and there like a day trip. Hwy 94 is no picnic, it is hilly and curvy.

From your post I got the impression you buy a bottle here and there,that you have a bit of now and then is that right??? Hmmmmmm. Now I am begining to understand why you could not see all the storming going on. Geez! how much time do you allow between the now and then then.

This message was edited Oct 15, 2007 8:57 PM

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

hehehehe. This is starting to get funny now.

Waiting for the next move.......

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Here and there, now and then. Simple as that, OZ. I go on vacation at least once a year, sometimes 2. So that kind of gives you the time frame.... Here would be out of a 100 mile radius of Topeka, and There could be as far away as Oregon or the Virgin Islands... although, being the "nipper" that I am ;) Rum is a locally made beverage in the V.I. - it's tastes good with fruit punch, ice and a straw while tanning on the beach or in a banana frozen dacquari (see I don't even know how to spell it) while touring the mountain tops with a crazy tour guide driver (who I suspect is a nightly enbiber). There was NO alcohol involved with my weather forecast.... I hope you didn't take my advice and then have the bejiggers scared out of you driving to the RU! (Amanda, you're welcome to jump in here and help in my defense, us girls gotta stick together, hon)

Sorry Oz, I'm on her side!!! LOL

Oh Pepper!!! I guess that is OK. I just finished putting 66 crappie fillets in the freezer yeasterday. I will go have a few tomorrow to drown my sorrow.

LOL!!!

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Crappy? Oz? 66!!! MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm, it is known here as Kansas shrimp for it's light flavor. I like it broiled or grilled with lemon and butter... or fried up in a cast iron skillet... did you go fishing? Or did someone fish for you?

Aunt B--- I live on Lake of the Ozarks. My boat and dock are about 60 ft from where I am sitting right now. Besides that I have my dock and 3 of my neghbors dock brushed with cedar trees and hoa limbs. Usually in late fall and spring I catch enough crappie to fill a freezer. For some reason they came in here early this fall and are real nice and fat. I am trilled about that because we had about 4 yrs of poor fishing for anything most of the time because of a Shad die off that is the primary food fish of all the fish in this lake.

So when are you inviting us down for dinner? Sounds like AuntB can bring the wine!

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I don't have even 1 bottle of wine in the house right now (and I won't break into my secret stash down by the coal house lol)... but I could buy one on the way, if it was appropriate! That's right Oz, I remember now, ... what killed off the shad? That's too bad, couldn't they stock it? Or is that too expensive or maybe the lake is just too big? How's the armadillo hunt going? Did I miss something?

Most of these fish go to my kids. I rarely keep fish other than this one time a year thing for them. I throw almost everyone of mine back as soon as it is caught. Unless they are real lunkers then I put them in the live well take them home take a picture and then turn them loose. Ohhh I also will keep a few catfish from time to time. There is nothing better then a catfish fillets cut from a catfish caught in caught in colder water and fried in a matter of hours. I also like to smoke the medium sized ones about 6-10 lbs.

I think you would have to about forget about the wine Cathy. I see her talking a lot about the buying and inhibiting but I do not see much said about the sharing. May not be enough to share.

This message was edited Oct 17, 2007 4:40 PM

Dinner at Oz's place before the snow hits!! LOL

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I would not bring wine and not bring enough to share, I can buy a BIG box ;) lol. That's how I like to fish, too. Keep a few once in a while and throw them back... My brother-in-laws parents have 2 ponds and they feed the fish. There are HUGE catfish in there!

Oh, Box-O-Wine, everyone's wedding reception favorite! I liked the big glass jug fruity kind. Koolaid with a kick.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Koolaid with a kick..... hmmmmm - Boones Farm?

It's been so long I can't remember, but it's not boone's farm, that is SO highschool, lol.

I tell you. You ladies are starting to sound like you belong to the Elks with all this booze talk.

O, I don't drink, sorry to burst your bubble. I'm iced tea, yum. Grins, Cathy

Me too Cathy!!! LOL

Oh come on Pepper. I bet you go out every night of the week. Just WILD WILD WILD.

LOL. Nope. I stay home most nights. The last 2 nights I have been working and today I have to work again today. Didn't go to bed til almost midnight. I had to light candles, hand out water, tell all the groups to slow down- a message that went ignored til the end in high places, blow out candles and make sure everyone grabbed their stuff. I was there til the bitter end. I left limping a bit. lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.