Clematis indoors?? Help!

Georgetown, IN(Zone 6a)

I just recieved a beautiful clematis vine from a trade. I live in zone 6b should I keep it indoors for the winter, or do you think I should go ahead and plant it? It does have a great root, But I am worried about loosing it by planting it outside so late in the year.

(Zone 4a)

Plant it outside. Dig an 18" deep hole; mix soil with composted
manure; water well; mulch. I add grit, too, as my soil is heavy.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Plant it!

I am in 3A and just planted one about 10 days ago. So long as there is time for the roots to get established before the ground freezes it is fine.

Georgetown, IN(Zone 6a)

Thank you all so much! I took your advise and did plant it. It is in a fairly protected spot near the house so Im sure it will be fine.

Klamath Falls, OR(Zone 6b)

Hi all. I also just got a couple clematis this last week. So if I plant them 18" I will be planting the whole plant, right? What about the leaves that are on it? Should they be removed? Thanks.
Bonnie

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Bonnie plant it about 6 inches deeper than the current soil line in the pot. Do not remove the leaves. Do however leave some of it above ground! Are they that small?
This way if anything happens to the roots there is that extra upper bit which will root.

Klamath Falls, OR(Zone 6b)

Thanks Fancy. I couldn't imaging planting the whole plant 18" deep. The vines right now are about 6-7" above the soil. I think I'll remove some of the bottom leaves and plant them today. Thanks again.
Bonnie

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

BOnnie - well no not the whole plant 18" down! but you probably would need a hole that deep and amend the soil on the bottom with some compost as Taramark said and then set the plant in. Do not remove the leaves - not necessary!

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Fancyvan,

I was going to ask this same question about planting this late. Also about moving a small one that is not getting enough light where it is. But am confused about the instructions. Are you saying that you don't remove the leaves from the part you put under the ground? And also why do you plant it deeper than in the pot? Would it be a bad thing to winter one over indoors? Do they have to go dormant?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

No I dont remove the leaves of the part of the vine I put underground.
I read this advice about planting several inches below the 'ground level' of the purchased plant so that if anything happens to the root you still have the live section (which was above ground in the purchased pot) which will root. So thats what I do.

Here is an example although not quite the same thing.

I was given a clematis last year which I couldnt plant in my chosen spot so put it elsewhere ( planted as above) . This spring it had some nice new growth on it. But when I went to dig it up and move it the new growth broke off in my hand! (no idea what happened) So I took those pieces - really just lengths of vine and planted them so that about 6 inches was below ground. That was in June I guess - now it is about 18 inches high and that vine section underground is nicely rooted. And to top it off the root in the original area also put out new growth

Hope that helps

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

So will it die back to the ground in the winter and then start over in spring?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Depends on which type it is.
C group are cut back hard either fall or spring because they flower on new wood. A group are not cut back because they flower on old wood. B group flower on old and new.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

One is 'Jackmani' and one is 'Violet Charm'

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Jackmanii is Group 3 or C - hard prune in fall or spring.

Violet Charm is Group 2 or B - light pruning in spring

Here is some pruning information from Clematis on the web.

www.clem.hull.ac.uk

Pruning

Each clematis listed on this website has been given a code which relates to one of the categories below. These codes are in widespread use. References to months of the year, both here and on the site proper, are for the central United Kingdom. Readers elsewhere in the Northern Hemisphere may need to make a slight adjustment, readers in the Southern Hemisphere also need to add six months.

Group 1
This group contains some of the most vigorous clematis. When used to cover large areas, such as walls or fences, no pruning is required. If, however, space is limited some pruning may be necessary. If you do need to prune a Group 1 clematis this should be carried out as soon as flowering has finished. This allows the plant to produce some new growth which will supply the flowers for the following year.

Group 2
This group contains the early and mid-season large flowered hybrids which usually begin flowering before the end of June. Although no regular pruning is required, you may wish to remove any dead tips from the stems. This will keep the plant looking tidy. In late February or early March, working down from the tips, follow each stem until you come to a pair of live buds. Remove the end of the stem by pruning just above this point.

Group 3
This group contains all the late flowering species and hybrids. Although these varieties will flower if left unpruned, they will soon become bare at the base and flowers will be produced well above head-height. This is ideal when growing clematis into a tree, but for general use hard pruning is recommended. Each February, prune all stems back to approximately 30cm (12") from ground level, cutting just above an old leaf joint. New growth will soon appear, resulting in a plant whivh is green from top to bottom and with flowers at a more acceptable height.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow!!! Thank you for all of that information!!! I need to hurry up and get it into the ground! I understand them a little better now. These are my first Clematis!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.