Planting bulbs??????

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I am soooo exciting my bulbs (100 mixed daffodils, and lilies) arrived from John Scheepers. The instructions say to wait until after a hard frost when the soil temperatures will be lower than 55 degrees.

Well last winter we didn't have a hard frost until when? February?

If I understand things correctly, the bulbs will need six weeks to develop their roots before going completely dormant for the winter.

Well, six weeks from now is the end of November and we could have snow by then. Doesn't this mean I should be planting the bulbs either this weekend or next?

Michaela

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Michaela,
I always plant my bulbs here in Maine around the middle to the end of Oct. and they do fine. It has been 55 here for the last few days...even at night! I plan on planting the bulbs I have next weekend and feel confident they will be fine.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Celeste :-)

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I usually plant mine in late Oct. to early Nov., but a lot of that is to try have the ground freeze sooner after planting to keep the squirrels from digging them up.

(Zone 4a)

Eeeks I hope I didn't plant mine too early or does it matter? I think I planted mine at the end of Sep or beginning of Oct.

Northeast Harbor, ME

Always plant daffodils as soon as you get them. The earlier the better.

But where there's a rule, there's an exception :)

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

We're still waiting for our bulb order.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I've planted all kinds of bulbs from mid-September right through to December without any problems.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I'm still waiting on my bulb order too but I never had problems planting late.

(Zone 4a)

Ok whew that is good to know!!! I can't wait to see all my bulbs come up next spring! This is the first really I really got into them - I don't know why. I guess I needed a distraction from my life hehehe.

You are not alone, Dawn.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

what do y'all do to protect your bulbs from all the things that want to eat them?

i didn't have too much trouble last year, but i suspect i will this time around...

amy

I don't have any pests that want to eat them when they're in the ground and the deer only feasted one time.........one time too many.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

DawnLL...my first year too. Much easier to purchase a lot of bulbs on line than in a store. 15 pounds of bulbs came yesterday from Scheepers. Wanted to get twice that and will probably place another order when Van Engelen has its sale next month. Figure with our dollar going down 7% this year against the Euro, all the Dutch bulbs will likely be a lot more next year.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Our bulbs came in yesterday. We didn't order so many that we will be planting all weekend, but a pretty good amount.

We are still waiting on our Tall Phlox order. I hope it gets here soon!!

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I always plantem when I getem too.
My Colorblend order came last week and they're in the ground already. My Brent&Becky's order hasn't arrived yet. Last year it didn't get here until late November, but the daff's came up this spring anyway.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Amy I surrounded the bulbs with chicken wire before covering them with the soil. I'll see come spring if it really worked. I haven't seen anything dug up yet.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

surrounded = all the way around?
individually, or like a box with a bunch of bulbs in it? cause that might be hard to do, but it would make them easier to dig up...

Though for me it will probably come down to the last minute and i'll be panicking and won't do anything. (that was my method for most of them last year!)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.