Starting new greenhouse...I am excited!

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

This is the frame that was set up today. I will post pics as it progresses. The man in the pic is my DH who will be building it

Thumbnail by yardqueen1948
Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Another angle...

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

This is the greenhouse he built last year. It will be used mostly for a potting shed and to raise seedlings.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Ooohh very nice! What are you going to use to cover the new one?

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

DH is going to use clear corregated plastic from Lowe's. He will also pour a concrete florr like in the 1st one. He is going to redo the 1st one with the corregated plastic also. The plastic film we used on the first one only lasts one season. As a matter of fact this spring the wind blew the top back and had it been cold, the plants would have been done for. Now the sides are starting to split de to deterioratin from the sun I guess.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Ok, here it is now... I had meant to take some earlier in progress, but better laste than never...

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

The inside...

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

That's very nice, yardqueen. You are gonna love that one. : ) Where did the framework come from?
~Lucy

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

the top

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Great job! Looks wonderful and humongous! I know you will really enjoy it for a long time.

Janet

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

A place called Carolina Carports. It is just right down the highway from us...

It's looks really sturdy. I've been thinking about doing one, but I couldn't decide just what I wanted to use. I really like yours, it's giving me some ideas. Thanks for showing us. : )~Lucy

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

The front. He is putting the smoky colored plastic on the front. he will finish it out to the corner on the smoky color. He is going to paint the trim green.

What size is your new greenhouse?

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

DH the builder!

Your DH is doing a great job. : )

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

I am thinking DH told me it was 16 x 20... But I am not sure. Edited to say that I think it is 14x20...

This message was edited Oct 21, 2007 10:38 PM

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Standing on tiptoe peeking out!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

You can tell that it's a labor of love for him. You all are a great looking couple.

My begonias that you sent me are doing wonderful. Not nearly as big as yours, and I haven't seen any blooms on them, but they will go to Connie's greenhouse this year. I'm not taking any chances with those babies. Thank you again for sharing them.

Janet

Hereford, TX(Zone 7a)

I have a frame just like that except mine is 18x20. I'm glad I found this thread, now I know how I'm going to do mine! Your going to love it!!

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

From the back

That's a nice size. I'm gonna show my DH your pictures.
I mainly want one to store my young plants and orchids on those (few) cold nights. I'm getting too many now, and will be running out of bed sheets soon. lol : )

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

You are so welcome Janet! I am glad you like them. Mine keeps getting so big it finally breaks! I trimmed it when it did that and it is taller than me again...

He had to bring the plants over from the old greenhouse just to see how it will look! When I bring the stuff in from the patio, the fountain, and all the hanging baskets, not to mention thi BIG pots of tropicals in several places and some brugs I will have to dig up, I bet it will be full!

The stuff that's on the sides....is it the same as what is on the top?

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, it just looks different becasue of the angle

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

This is the window he will put in the back.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

In this picture you can see that he has only poured the concrete in the area where he has put the plants. He will pour the whole floor in concrete and there will be shelves on bothe sides of course and also down the middle. He is also going to put something down the center at the top to hang my hanging baskets from. He is so proud of his work and so am I. He doesn't do hardly anything else but this right now!

Pass Christian, MS(Zone 8b)

Yardqueen:
Wow,
What a lucky girl, your DH is very talented! Great pictures
Have been checking the internet for greenhouse kits.
We built a new garage and poured a concrete pad behind it thats approx 8x10, with outside power.
It would be wonderful to have a place to overwinter some of the more delicate Tropicals!
Does anyone know of a "good" place to buy a greenhouse kit?
Thanks
Cath

Conway, AR(Zone 7b)

Gardnerkett, I have been very pleased with my BC Greenhouse that I purchased from ACF. http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/
I believe Charlie's sells the same unit as well. http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/index.cfm

There are many choices and places to choose from, you just have to find what suits your needs and go from there.

Nautical

Pass Christian, MS(Zone 8b)

Nautical,
Thanks, great information links.
Not sure what a BC greenhouse is though.

Conway, AR(Zone 7b)

It is just one of many brands. They are made in British Columbia. This is the link to the manufactures web-site, but I don't think you can buy directly from them. http://www.bcgreenhouses.com/

I posted some pictures of the assembly here on DG. Many other people have posted as well. It is good to look at them and get ideas before you get started. You can view the thread here. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/702633/

This forum has been a HUGE help to me once I decided I wanted to build a GH. I can't imagine how frustrated I would be about now, if I had not read the threads here and had not been fore warned of all the potential problems.

This is a picture of what the GH looks like after 6 months of use.

Nautical

Thumbnail by nautical99
Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Nautical, that is just about the most beautiful GH I've seen yet. The setting you created around it is a picture of peace and tranquility. I'm off to the hyperlinks you provided. Thank You! Lucille

Conway, AR(Zone 7b)

Posyblossom, Thanks for the kind words. I am pleased with the GH and enjoy all the time I spend there. This forum has been a great help to me, I don't even want to think of all the mistakes I would have made had I not gotten so much help and good advice here.

Nautical

london England, United Kingdom

Beautiful greenhouse Yardqueen, and good luck to all those lucky plants that will live in it!

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you Terri! We are filling it up!!! Worked so hard the last two days and both of us were moaning last night! We still have a lot to do. I will post pics as soon as I can. It is almost finished!

london England, United Kingdom

I just got subscribtion yesterday and came here to see your greenhouse first!
I doubt you'll have any room for your baskets in there!
I'm looking forward to seeing it fill up with plants,well done to both of you!

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

It is filling up so fast!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.