Will my loquat live

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Outside this winter if left alone.

DH said I have to move it to a new location, it's about 6 foot tall and not very full.

but planted in a bad place (says he)

I don't want to have to over winter it yearly in the greenhouse.

Will it come back if we get temps around the teens? for say no more than a week at a time?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Is it a cultivar of Eriobotrya japonica? If so, Plant Files lists those as hardy to zone 7a so it should be OK unless you have an unusually cold winter. I think that's the most common species of loquat, but there are others so the hardiness may be different if you have another one.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I think it is, but not sure LOL guess we'll find out, thanks

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

I had been thinking of adding a loquat or two to my garden, but decided against it since it blooms in the fall and carries the fruit through winter. Mature flower and fruit are killed by temperatures in the mid 20s. Our lowest temperatures for the past few years have been around 23ºF. According to the old Plant Hardiness Zone map, I'm in zone 8b and in Zone 9a in the new map. Well established trees can handle temperatures down to 12ºF.

If your temperatures get below 12ºF, the tree won't make it. Below 25-6ºF and you won't have fruit. You might try making a mini-greenhouse around the tree and heating the interior with a bunch of Christmas lights or a floodlight or two.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks Bettydee, you've been a big help

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

You're welcome, kathy_ann.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.