First whale spotted!

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

The first humpback whale of this season has been spotted between the island of Lanai and Maui! Usually the first sighting is in the first weeks of November, so we have an early bird! Reports are that it was a large male and he was jumping out of the water - sheer joy of getting to Hawaii from Alaska I should think!

Pregnant Moms take the journey a little slower (well wouldn't you?) Should be here soon to calf. It is absolutely my favorite time of year when the babies are born and are jumping for joy in the water all along the shore! We usually start to see the first babies just after Christmas with January, February and March being the big birthing months.

Sorry - I get this way every year! They are an awesome sight!

Aloha!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh that would be awesome! Pictures please?

If you have a video camera you could record them! Wish we could see them in action! I bet they are stunning!

Oh Jeanne, you don't know my reputation as a camera woman! I am hopeless! I will ask one of our friends who takes awesome photos for his permission to post some of his shots this year....The lovely thing is that you can see them right off shore, but I am never quick enough with the camera...
The whales songs are also beautiful, you can hear them as soon as you put your head under the water, makes you have goose bumps (or chicken skin as they say here!)

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

OH terrific!!! How lucky for you to see them so easily!!! Congratulations....

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

That is fantastic! What an experience!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Now I KNOW I have to come to Hawaiia. Going to the garden and taking my wireless speakers.......Bro Iz is the only sound I ever allow there with me. Got clean the fish pond and I will be thinking of the whales. Makes me feel all mellow.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

They're starting to show up around here early too. This sperm whale was spotted last month!

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

How neat! I'll have to show my grandchildren! They will love it! They love this sight because they always get to see exciting pictures! The youngest is the most impressed! She sits on my knee and loves to look at all of the pictures! She just ooo's and aaaah's over them. I get a great big kiss and hug and off she goes!

Thank you for all of the special pictures!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Jeanne - always happy to promote hugs and kisses!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I would give you hugs and kisses if I could. What an exciting place to live. All the things that really count.

Cool pic, Shari! I think the sperm whales are even larger than the humpbacks aren't they? Funny they should be showing up early in different parts of the Pacific - I wonder if that means anything weather wise, or perhaps they had an abundant summer of feeding in the north - or in your case the far southern seas.
Our young fellow has been spotted quite a few times now, he is mostly hanging out with a large pod of dolphins.
A hui hou...
Jenny

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

That is wise of him, if he is young and rather small...the dolphins will protect him from predatory sharks. I think this strange weather all over has so many of the migratory creatures confused...or maybe they know something we don't! Much more likely. Enjoy the show regardless...its great that you are seeing him alot. They are so fun to watch!

Yokwe and a hui hou,
S

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.