Little dust ball with feet

Pass Christian, MS(Zone 8b)

Does anyone know what this bug is? It looks like a little dust ball with feet and moves pretty fast, so it was hard to get a picture of it.
Not sure if its a good thing or bad. Very sci-fi looking, could not find it in my massive Garden Insects book, so I will try the DG group.
It was grazing on my hibiscus plant.

Thumbnail by Gardnerkett

Flygirl,
Thank you so much, you are right! Thanks for the google link, I found another one that explains why they carry the stuff round - cute story. So they are pretty much a "good bug", I am glad I only took pictures.
http://www.bugoftheweek.umd.edu/archive/BugOfWeek_15.html
Very interesting!
Cheers
Gk

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Strange looking things .. here is a close up of one .. reminds me of that creature in Aliens.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

LOL....they're little braggarts, showing off all the carcasses of their prey. I wonder if potential mates find them nore irresistable, the more skeletons the better?

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL! At this stage they're children. They won't be looking for mates until they reach maturity - and become adult brown lacewings - so I would doubt the skeletons are admired. Simply used as camouflage....

They are just fascinating! I was trying to describe it to my DH and I think he wondered what I had been drinking....
I am telling him this tiny ball of fluff was running all over my hibiscus leaves.
I guess only gardeners can appreciate these things.....
Glad someone knew what it was, I have a reference book - The Ultimate Guide to Backyard Bugs - Garden Insects of North America, but cannot find a picture of it (in the dustball stage) and they make no reference to the larvae stage.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.