star fruit tree has fruit

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

I have a star fruit tree in a pot. The poor thing got put outside this year and pretty much forgotten. Its been in the same pot for a couple of years. I was looking at it the other day and it has fruit. I am pretty excited to see this. ( I will try to send a picture when I get home from work tonight). Now the weather is cooling down and its suppost to rain for the next couple of days. The question is: Do I pick the fruit and hope it gets ripe? Do I leave the fruit on the tree and hope the rain and cooler weather doesn't hurt the tree? Or do you think the fruit won't ripen at all?
I usually move it to a protected area for the winter. I am in zone 9. We do get some light frost, hardly ever get a freeze.
Any help?
Linda

Lakeland, FL(Zone 10a)

How big is the fruit?

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

The biggest one is about 3" long. I don't even know who big they are suppost to get.
Linda

Lakeland, FL(Zone 10a)

I would leave it on the tree. If you pick it too early it will not ripen. When it starts to yellow on the tree it is OK to pick. They are always best if you let it start to ripen on the tree. The size will depend on the variety.

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Here is the picture of the star fruit. I just hope it doesn't get to cold before it gets ripe. I assume it need heat to vine ripen
Linda

Thumbnail by LindaCA
Lakeland, FL(Zone 10a)

From pollination to ripe fruit takes about 60 days, depending on temps. I would think that you will have enough time for the fruit to ripen.

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

I am so excited. Got my fingers crossed.
Thanks for the reply
Linda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.