Volunteer Pansys. Question and photos (New Zealand)

Brisbane, Australia(Zone 10b)

Hi everyone, Im a new subscriber to Daves Garden.
I have been growing pansys and violas since I started my current garden 3 years ago. All of the plants I have growing today, popped up on their own, or grew from seed I collected. They are showing a lovely new blend of colours and combinations. Sometimes I transplant them to more sutable locations for their own safety. They are just so lovey growing around my vege gaden, and I love seeing what the flowers of the new little plants will look like.
The original "parent" plants were mainly Thai Silk and Blue Beacon, plus some others that werent named. So what strain/ cultivar would that make these pansys? Do all pansys cross breed that easily? My favourite plants to grow are heirloom tomatoes, which grow true to seed. Watching these new phenotypes be created is proving rather fun. And they are so very cute.
Any advice on pansy growing/ propagating wound be much appreciated :)

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

This one has really big blooms

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

Family photo! These have naturalised under my native flax bush

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

Another one

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ
Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Pansies are most promiscuous, and will cross with any other pansy or johnnie-jump-up (hearts-ease). They do occasionally come true to seed, being able to pollenate themselves, but most often you will be blessed with a wide variety of new colors and color combinations. I wouldn't even hazard a guess at strain or cultivar - just take them as your own breeding experiments.

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

I was wondering if all I have are swiss pansies will they still be the large kind when they reseed or will they come from seed smaller

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Mona my swiss giants come back with flowers about half the size.

so they should only charge half the price lol hahahhaha I grew them from seeds so will they still do the same thing half the size next year

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Good idea ma amie. Let me know how that goes with the seed suppliers (snort) ^_^

well I hope they bloom nice since I started them in january and they are now about 4 inches tall should start to bud soon I really want to see all those little faces just like on the package hahahhahaha so cute

comment ca va aujourdhui avec toi?

This message was edited Apr 24, 2009 8:45 AM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Tres bien merci.

moi aussi le soleil est sortie et je me sens tres bien

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.