SPRING OF 2008 PLANTSWAP FOR WEST MICH ????

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

PLEASE MARK THIS ON YOUR 2008 CALENDARS

PRINT THIS OFF YOU WILL NOT WANT TO MISS THIS EVENT

WEST MICH Plant Swap ???? OPEN To All Of Mich, Ind, ILL, & Ohio Or USA :)

Even if you would like to be gardener & Have NO Plants I hope you will also contact me & Join us for the fun .
GARANTY You will Not Go Home without a plant .

Where: FREEPORT Park Next to the Ball park & Freeport LIBARY 209 STATE ST Freeport MI
DATE: Saturday JUNE 7th 2008
Time : 9am -- ????

POTLUCK PINIC IN THE PARK

JUST BRING YOUR FAVORITE FOODS TO PASS

There are LIMITED picnic tables So you may want to Bring a table for plants & lawnchairs to relax in .

SIGN IN & SET UP Will Start 9:am till NOON

There will be a pot luck Bring a dish to pass & TABLE ************** 12pm til 1pm
Settings for your family . & your own drinks NO Alcohal Please :(

Plants will be traded off ROUND ROBIN STYLE . ******************************* 1pm--???

There will be a GIFT DRAWING for everyone WHO Brings a GIFT Garden related Gifts Please . Hand Made or New 1pm til 2PM
& LOTS OF Fun & Laughter & CHAT till ?????????

We Have 2 MASTER GARDENER That will be there to Help with any Questions about Gardening & MORE .
Any Plants Left Over will or can be Donated to New Gardeners ,

I promise for a Full Fun day for all come Rain or Shine

there will be a Horse & cart RIDES for the kids . OFFERED BY WIGGLE PAW

will Be looking Forward To this Please tell your friends .
susie /deejay9

There will be 6 spot for unloading & loading plants next to the privillian
& then near by parking very easy wheel carts availiable for easy hauling :)

Type of plants what ever you have to share .
Perennials
Annuals in pots
House plants violet & more
coneflowers
Roses
Trees
coreopsis
Herbs
Hosta's
Daylilies
Irises

This message was edited Oct 15, 2007 5:42 PM

This message was edited Nov 24, 2007 7:27 AM

This message was edited Nov 24, 2007 4:33 PM

This message was edited Mar 25, 2008 12:22 PM

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

How far south will this be? Im in the Traverse City area.

Hi Jy :)
I spent Many summers up on Duck lake in interlocking I Aunt was Post Master at carlin & My Grandmother Had a Boarding House for many years in interlocking till they moved to travers city :)
Well The place I have in mind for the swap is about 15 -20 mi's North of me in a small Home town of FREEPORT MI very nice community.
Easy to get to they have a very nice park & I met a few other ladies & gentlemen out in that area That would like to have a swap in the spring .
So I hope to find others that might like to join us .

as I said there are many nice camp areas around or some can camp out in my huge yard :) .
as for miles wise I can't say but can tell you it takes us about 3-31/2 hrs to get up there from where I'am right now . Hastings area.

Hope I can add you to the list :)))

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

I'll have to see about it. I absolutely do not camp though, unless it's at a holliday inn.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I think that would be a great time!! will have to see how work goes latter but if I can make it I will be there !!!!!!!!!!
Gloria

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/198/

Paul Thank you for your link to your plant swaps I would love to find my way over that way to your swap That is If I can :) sure will do my best to try.
& yes there is or will be a master Gardener there At the swap. I'm Hoping to find a few New Roses this year , Named Irises , A few more named daylies , A Few Coneflowers , creeping phlox , other then purple ,

Well this is my 1st try at rooting I'm doing
RED WIEGELA
ORNAMENTAL ELDERBERRY
SEDUM "AUTUMN JOY
So far so goood Just hope I can keep them going all winter :)))

will be doing
Hal's Honeysuckle
Hardy Mums

What have you been rooting this year ???

Thumbnail by deejay9

Well I Know you all think I'm crazy for trying to put a SPRING SWAP Together in October :))
Its OK I'Am Just a little but I wouldn't want to be any other way :)) In Order to Have a great turn out for any Event
You Must work hard To Get the word out to the people :))

So Far I have Had Over 30 personal emails Of Ones Hoping to be there :) & that is just great we never know what can happen between
Now & then But We can save the date on our calendars :))) & let others Know what we have for trade.

well I hope to hear from others also & you don't need to commit to being there as long as we know that
you would like to try & join us :)

Happy Gardening
susie

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Susie
You not to early, get the date set and you'll have plenty of time to work out the details.

Paul

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I need the all important date I work every other week end so I have to adjust my life around that unless the little mister wins the lotto!!!!!!!!! lol
Gloria

well I sould have a date for everyone by this afternoon I hope . or by monday Still tring to contact the master gardener that I have
in mind to help us in this & also have the park reserved & so on But I Hope to Maybe reserve the space for Saturday the 7th of June .
10am - 2pm
10-11: am sign in & set up
11:-12: Plant Round Robin Trade
12:- 1:pm Lunch
1pm- 2pm Master Gardener Question & answer forum --- Gift Drawings &
Getting to Know Other Gardeners .

But Still Have to get it variefied :)

susie

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

This is just a suggestion............but the plant swap could be more desirable if you included all of Michigan, and not just the west side....and then choose a city that is more centralized.....just a thought.....

Deann

Deann : This swap is open to all of MICH , ILL, IND,& Ohio As stated above

Looking forward to meeting all you gardeners :) oh IND & Ohio & ILL Is welcome to come also we have many RV Parks In our area :)
Or I have 17 Acres you can rough it on :)))

we are as midstate as we can get for the location ,
I wish I could ask paul to move their swap a little more midstate :)))
I see you are in au Gres you are a good 4 hrs from here I once lived in Barton city , still Northwest of you , it would take me 5 hrs to drive here
to visit with my folks .
After Moving Back Here to Care for my parents I got into gardening & My 1st Swap was when I went up to Bay city for a great plant swap
at notmartha's Homes .
she had posted months ahead so I could plan for it & This is why I wanted to start this now so others can plan for a nice swap .

Paul Has Given us a swap also to plan for & I look forward to it . he is about 3 hrs from here.

I Guess If we are trully into gardening & want bad enough to find other plants for our gardens & meet others with the same passion we will find a way to do so .:)
Well Just wanted to add that we will have 2 master gardeners That will be there to help with any quessions & answers on gardening or to identify plants your not sure of growing in your garden , Just bring it with you if possible .
I'm Now waiting to find out if the previlian will be availiable for that day should Know today or Monday HOPE .

PlEASE tell us what you would like to have in this swap . Please let me know .

I'm Hopping for a big turn out . so far I have many emails & once I have the time date place settled in stone I will share a few more
Bonuses with you .

thank you all for stopping by :)

susie

HI Friends
Well I hope you will take a look Up TOP I have edited to let everyone Know the Exact INFO :)))
Don't Forget to mark your JUNE Calendar :)))

Feel Free to put up a want list & Just maybe Someone Might Just Have what your looking for & will contact you.

Have a great week
susie

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Deejay9,
Hurrah for you to undertake such a large gathering!! Let's not recommend something Different after Suzie has worked hard.Lets just find a way to get there or help get the word out. Maybe we can learn something so we can plan one for lower Mich. in the Fall of 08!!

Jazz thank you
But it is going to take others not just me to make this a go I Have the time, date ,& place & Now I how we can make a success of it .
there are over 50 that i have heard from who are very willing to partake in this so far .
So I have no Doubt that it will be a great turn out :))

I just hope to get this to stay up to the top so others can be informed about it .
Not sure where Fenton is I have heard of it but look it up :)

thank you for stopped by :)

susie

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Susie Fenton is in the lower middle of the state. My town is off U.S. 23 I also have access in 10 min to I-75. I am just 15 min. south of Flint. I am north of Milford,
Brighton, Howell. mI am 10 min west of Holly and Grand Blanc. We are a town of WATER!! There are 42 lakes and rivers in this town and surrounds. Everyone here lives on the water except me>> That is because I always wanted and old house...I got one ..1865. It's a love/hate thing with this house. Anyway I digress. I would also like to be
included in the swap. What can I do to help you Susie????

well then you are about 1 1/2 hrs from here then . it takes me that long to get to flint :) nice to meet you. I guess help me by keeping watch of the thread & I will try to let you know if I have to be in the hospital a few days sometimes it happens :( without Notice .
So I hope you all will not give up on me if you do not get an email right away . if you don't hear within 2-3 days thats usually where I'm at .

I took a couple pictures of the park where the swap will be at & like to share with you
this one is the privillian . it was late in the day so little dark .

Thumbnail by deejay9

here is the play area for the kids & Restroom to the right
Lots of FREE Parking :))) FREE Food :) & LOADS Of FREE PLANTS
I hope we have a heck of a turn out & I'm sure there will be .
I will have My Named daylilies & Irises A Few named Hosta , Many Types Of ornamental Grasses ,Hardy BamBoo, & so much more
If anyone wants any of my Plants Look over my Trade pages Dmail me & will set them asside .

If you have other Idea as to what or how to make it More fun or interesting let me know . also open for new idea's .
I will have signs posted at alto exit off I96 & clarksville I96 exit all the way to the park
I will be happy to mail you a dirrect map from your home to the park Just dmail me if you need.

Thumbnail by deejay9
Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

we will come with plants food horses and carriage for rides around park
manure will be bagged and sold lol

i have organic rare garlic sets for that time maybe
non gmo heritage hot pink zinnias
w/ luck mrs colliers sweet peas

please let me know how things are going
we live 3 miles from freeport and eat and
drink at the shanrock and support the
library
sheri

Hey sheri :) I'm sure then you have whooped it up with my sister & brother in-lawon many friday evening :)))
I don't like to put names up on the net but i'm sure if i told you my sister run the richies restrant for many yrs then worked over at the little general
& now trying to learn the computor :)) you will know who I mean :)))

they also hold a yearly fishfry at there Home :) 1st sat of every oct :)
I have spoke with evon A about reserving the park for that day it is ours for the whole day I hope everyone will have a great time .

We just need to get the word out signs made up :) also have Diane M for our Master Gardener , I have a few more signs to make up :)
anyway great to have you with us . maybe one day we can meet or maybe we have & don't know it :))) hehehe

I used to live down by the old Dam :)

well I have to go.check back
susie

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Hi everyone! I have had 5 smaller plant trades here at the house(posted here on Mich forum)in June. We did walks in the garden and had lots of fun
I didnt have one this spring becuz i was just to busy in the gardens!
I dont know that i will have one this spring or not-i usually wait to Jan/Feb to make up my mind LOL

We cant make all the trades-I always want to make Paul's but still never have! :(
good luck with your trade-sounds like it will be fun!

this is 2yrs ago group pic

Thumbnail by notmartha
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

if i dont have to work i would love to be counted in... hastings is only a stones throw away from me....Ronna

notmartha
Didn't you have a swap in 2004 ??? & I think right after i & My 2 friends Left your home there were tornado warnings in your area
you posted pictures on planttraders for all to see :)) you also I think took a group picture there & I was there :))
it was a very fun time :) .

Love to have you gardenlady123 :)) we can meet in Hastings & then you can follow me over to freeport its only about 10 miles north of hastings
very easy to find :))

well been along day & I need to relax this old head of mine .
good night all
susie

Gm to all So sorry it has been a few days since my last post . Sure a strange week my niece 54 yrs old Had a heart attack
onTuesday & then her sone went to the hospital yesterday with a blood clot in his leg .
So with trying to keep up-dated as to their health & tyring to Get my yards ready for winte,
Plus getting my containers ready for winter gardening :)
collecting seeds to share with other 's it is or has been busy :) today I now will start making my cookies & candies for the Holidays :)
it Pumpkin fudge day :))) .

What is your favority candy or cookie for the Holidays ????
will you share with us ?
well have to go have a great day

susie

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I am not big on cookies or candies over the holidays but I would have to say Pumpkin Pie, and Fruitcake, yummmmm.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Peanut butter cookies yummmmmmmm
Gloria

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

Best Wishes with your swap deejay. ;o)
I will try to make it if I'm not working.
I've been wanting to come meet Wiggly Paw anyway.
I think its an excellent idea to have swaps in different locations...such as south, east, north and west so people don't have to drive so far to attend.

To the person up by Traverse City,
my husband and I often go up to TC for a day trip. (Its a 3 hour drive)
We love to go have lunch at the Old Mission Tavern on the Old Mission peninsula.
The drives not so bad but we don't mind gallivanting around.
Hope you can make it or organize your own swap up north.
We seem to have alot of north MI members here.

Just an up-date to let everyone know That this is still Going on I have not deserted this :)) just been busy with other home & garden projects
getting ready for winter here :) just like the rest of you .

I sure hope we have a great turn out this next spring :) also like to say that if anyone is looking for certain plants feel free to post here
& Maybe we can get you hooked up for a spring trade :) I Love Iris all varieties & Daylilies ,Hosta's , Dianthus looking for one named doris
for another gardening friend :) .

well i have to get out of here for now . so have a great weekend .
susie

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Well hello there weve been busy getting ready for winter also.... we finished the plastic on the window... our son is home from the Army. we are waiting for guest to arrive as im writting this. im not really good at waiting patienly!!!! oh well the house is ready and the food is cooked thats all that matters right? well i hope you all have a great holiday for thanksgiving. we will, Matt will still be home. but why is it when they are away all they want is to be home, and when they are home they just want to be away???? well have a great afternoon. im still looking foeward to the swap in the spring. Ronna

Ronna So nice to hear from you . & your right Its nice haven everyone home for the Holidays No one Comes much now that Mom Has passed on
they all have their own kids & Grandkids . It is just daddy & I for the holidays :) the other kids do call him . my one Brother & his wife will be here with us this year so that will be nice . I bought a turkey & My Niece & her Hubby Smoked it for me , I went over last night & picked it up oh it is sooooo
Good I snitched a piece off the buttom of the turkey where no one can see :))

Well I have to go put lunch on for daddy So Enjoy your families while you can :)) HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL

susie

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

sue make sure you get advertisement in reminder and all the local
papers well beforehand. put a coupon for one free plant or something
like that. Can we sell plants also or just swop them?

Is it just for dg people or is it open to public?
thats why I was thinking of the reminder. but if its just for us, then
I don't think you want to advertise. everyone will be there for free
food and drinks. LOL.

I am starting my zinnias in April under lights for the swop.
I will also do some garlics in pots. neat.
sheri
dont forget I am bringing my team of horses and a small cart behind
for the kids to go around in, bumpedy bump. ! LOL.

Thumbnail by WigglyPaw

sound s great wiggle I Have revamped the top information so I hope others will read the up-dates :)

this is Open to all of MICHIGAN & Any other state that wants to Join into the fun . Just need to remind everyone that there are limited tables available so PLEASE Bring a table for your Plants & maybe a couple lawn chairs to relax in .

I hope to get this printed in the GRP , Reminder, & Banner & get ahold of other garden clubs for them to anounce it .

So if many of you want a great weekend get away this will be a fun place for you we have many campsites around the area .

NO we will Not be selling anything here at this it is an open trade for plants .

anyone wanting daylilies Please feel free to take a look at my trade list . some are new & or will say N/A Not Available at this time.
but then they might change by spring I will check .

I hope that some might bring dahlias , cannas , I Hope to have a bushle of canna if they survive the winter in the well pit :)
well I hope that you all will keep in touch here & if you have any fun Ideas I would love to hear them .

susiek/ DJ9

Wiggly Paw
You might want to find out if horses are allowed in the park.
Do you ever ride your draft horses?

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

deejay...........you may want to re-think who you are inviting to this garden swap. In the past, the roundups we have had, have been for the folks from Dave's Garden. Beyond that, if you are going to invite other Garden Clubs in the area, that creates a whole different event.

Deann

deann I guess I don't see why opening this to all of Mich is a problem , there are many gardener here on daves & other Garden webs
that are very excited about swapping plants .

This is not for garden clubs , I said that any plants left that No one wanted can be donated to garden clubs in the area who will use the
plant's to fix up city planter boxes, or for the nursing homes flowerbeds , what ever they want to do with them .

this swap is not open to GreenHouse owners , or retail stores . this is for home Gardeners Only like many of us here .

THIS IS for any Michigan Gardeners , I have Many gardening Friends On many other Online webs sites where I trade with them & invited
them into this .

I do hope there will be many from here that will come so we can meet.

if anyone has concerns please let me know .
susie

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

cottage:
I will contact city fathers. Actually, when I first brought my horse(s) to Freeport, to
the library, one of the city manager ladies was there. They loved the fact that
I had JoyJoy there, but they pulled out an ancient ruling book from like the
year 1778 where it was stated that no horses were allowed in front of the
homes an within the city limits of the streets due to congestion.

I guess if they wanted to be an icky city they would tell me no way.
I bring bucket and shovel with me also.
don't have money yet for the diaper set up, but that is a good thing.
actually, lots of folks love the horse apples and just scoop it up and
dump it on their flowerbeds. So, if joyousness or Ollicker plops a drop
some lucky person in Freeport might win the Plotzo and recoup
manna for their garden.

I ride JoyJoy but Ollie is freaked out with someone on his back.
Joy is like riding a submarine.
sheri
snow, wind, cold, chickens drinking out of a little pail of water I put
out, I cannot fill the heated water during the day, too hard for me.
I will refill the little bucket around 3pm.

if anyone wants to know more about the cow factory farm
the farm is called Freeport Dairy, and there really are 6,000 cows
on a half acre. They have been fined, over the years, millions of
dollars for pollution in the area. I think they are finally getting it
and have built 3 gargantuan tanks that look like oil tank storage,
with insulation around them. that, i am sure is for the sewage.
thank god.
all our homes here are on the coldwater creek, which is a tributary
of the thornapple river, which runs to lake michigan. we have a
designated state trout stream, and when thousands of trout die
overnight, we know what has been happening, although the DNR
doesn't say anything.

gotta clean and feed my canaries.
I breed them.,I have american singers, they are registered show
birds and famous for their song. I have two mated pairs, and
I will let them breed in February. If anyone wants to reserve a
canary, let me know now. they go like hotcakes.

sheri

Thumbnail by WigglyPaw
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

We had 3 garden web site people here
daves
planttraders
NHGC
some of us belong to more than one. I think its fun to have an assortment
of peoples-just like flowers

have FUN

Sheri I didn't know you had Canaries. i had cage birds for quite a few years. I use to breed English Parakeets and Lovebirds. Had other breeds over the years. Always loved my Budgies.

LOL @ "Joy is like riding a submarine"
Years ago when I took English riding lessons I rode a heavy weight hunter....a draft horse x saddle horse.
He was the sweetest horse and had the smoothest gates.
I loved him!

I *hate* the way they keep dairy cows now on feed lots.
I only buy organic milk from pastured cows.
The favor is noticeably better.
Even the fat free milk that I drink tastes good.
I love when we go down to Shipshewana and see all the milk cows out on pasture. I always tell them they are VERY lucky cows. :o)

Wiggle I think it is great that you are bringing your Horses & cart & I will have My Trailer On the back of my vehical So you can dump that POO??
Right in my buckets for my gardens :))
I Grew up Down By the Old Dam lived there about 20 yrs till I got married & Moved away I Have a sister still living there in freeport & her daughters
I really miss it but there has been so many New faces move in I know NO One .
My Niece who lives over there Just had a baby girl last night . so another to add to the population count :)) .

I can hardly wait till spring , they say we are in for snow storms maybe by the weekend :(

well I hope the rest of you are safe & warm .
susie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.