White Dutch clover - will it rise again?

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

I sowed it as a soil amendment between the alley and the veg. garden, and it encroached 2 feet into the veg. garden. Yesterday my DH tilled it under in the garden, but not beyond. So will it come up again next spring:
1) where he tilled it in?
2) where he didn't?
I just read in the plant files that it's a zone 4 perennial. And that it can grow from root fragments. So I'm confused now: How can it be used as a cover crop without creating a huge weed problem when you want to grow something else there?

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

I have never used white clover - it's a very rampant weed here. Root fragments are an issue with the White. But I do use Crimson Clover & it's quite easy to deal with - no problems like the White.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

That's a good question, I wish I knew the answer. Taking a big fat hairy guess, I would say that it probably doesn't out-compete most other plants and if you're using it in a veggie growing area it might even keep your roots nice and cool & moist... a growing mulch.

Now, if you're doing flower beds, that's a different story, although I do use Sweet Alyssum with that idea in mind. And it smells so good.... but doesn't fix nitrogen, like the clover.

Blah blah blah. Too much coffee this morning!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Thanks, Katye & Pagancat. It would be a nice mulch for some taller plants, actually, but we had basil & other low-growing veggies where it encroached, so it was hard to find the stuff. Next year we could put the beans there.

PC, you blah blah with style.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

(((Picante)))!!!

Richmond, VA

You cannot kill white clover, we "edge it back", and it returns. I made the mistake of sowing a small patch for my bunnies, and now it's here to stay. I have tilled it under, and the runners returned the next spring. So now it's just there. Pretty though , and the bees favorites.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.