What is this

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

Kingsland, Texas - posted this on Plant Identification Forum 10-9-07 (new to Dave's Garden - sorry)
This vine was discovered growing on whatever it wanted in the forest in back of our land - obviously invasive. I have never seen this before and wish I had discovered it when it flowered. The seed pods are about the size of a cucumber, have a milky white liquid when cut from the vine, and the pods are woody with lots of seeds. If someone can help identify this for me then maybe I will know what to do with it - like keep it from taking over the forest.

This is Honey Vine - a milkweed. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/68440/ - on Dave's Garden. I suppose the best way to control it is to pull it up. Thanks

This message was edited Oct 9, 2007 1:01 PM

This message was edited Oct 11, 2007 8:52 AM

Thumbnail by Saladbowl

Believe it or not, Cynanchum laeve is not invasive. It may be aggressive when planted outside of its natural range but there is no documentation out there anywhere that this plant is one of the bad boys.

This is a host plant for butterflies and is actually friend not foe.
http://www.ecology.info/monarch-butterfly.htm
You might want to leave it be for a full year and see what comes to visit you because it is still growing then decide if you want it gone or not.

To me, too much of a good thing is too much of a good thing though. If you want to get rid of it, you can slice back some of the bark and paint it with Ortho Brush-B-Gon Poison Ivy, Poison Oak and Brush Killer. That should do it. You could also pull the vine down and lay it on a tarp and spray the leaves with that Ortho product.

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Equilibrium. I think I will take your advice and leave it alone and see what happens next year. Last year was the second year of a two year drought and it didn't come up. Had flooding rains this year and it is everywhere. Will be interesting to see the flowers next year - and if it gets out of hand I now know what to do!

I whack a bunch back too but try my best to leave a few to make it through droughty years. Come back and share what you see visiting that plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.