I think I'm going to lose my Brugs! What am I doing wrong? 2

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

This is a continuation of the original thread at http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/746405/

Well I've got my first few blooms this time! WAHOO!! Getting pictures in a few ... :)

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

WAHOO is right! I'm headed back outside... will look for pics unless you're posting now..

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

thank goodness. Now it doesn't take 5 minutes to load. Mine are fading but new buds are coming on so there may be some more bloom before frost. In the years I have lived it, frost used to be late September, then mid-October and last year, not until Thanksgiving. Scary.

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

hello i am so new to what yall got going on but i am sooo hooked i got 9 brugs online just cause i liked the way they looked he he had no idea what was in store because of this forum all have bloomed except a red angel trumpet so i was told it has nice fat buds we shall see thanks for such great info Kim

this is a pic of my so called red angel trumpet buds what do you think it is please let me know if i have not posted in the right place Kim

Thumbnail by kimarj
NE, KS(Zone 5b)

The red is sanginea I think, but I've never had it as I've read it does not like my extreme heat and humidity... They could still be red, you are forced to learn patience with brugs.. but it will be interesting to see what comes out.. keep us posted.. Amanda, thanks for the #2 forum, I'll be patient for your latest pics!

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Yeah let me get some now ... it was raining cats and dogs when I went out yesterday! Grrr ...

thanx AuntB i say so called because i ordered this plant from the worst company on the watchdog !!! i did not know about the dog:) so now i am not sure what i have ...i will keep you posted ...i am looking forward to Amanda's pics also Kim

This message was edited Oct 8, 2007 1:19 PM

(Jan) So Milw, WI(Zone 5b)

Hey! Hey! Hey! I'm baaacccckkkk!!!! Thanks so much for the new thread-was having just a bit 'o trouble with the 1st but didn't want to be too much of a whiner :)

AuntB, I typed a long response on Friday re: your banana plant and brugs and then I went "back" to look at something else and lost the entire posting...GRRR! I hate when that happens!...even tho it was my own, stupid fault...

Anywho....I have the same banana that you have---zebrina, aka "blood banana". I got mine for $2.00, end-of-season, at a GH, three years ago. It didn't have any kind of ID nor a price tag but I KNEW it was a nanner!!! So I got it home (less than a foot tall), repotted it and then put it outside when the temps got nicer. It had (notice "past tense" :) two pups last year and I tried to remove them but ended up committing plantacide :( Well, momma nanner has two new pups this year (one's about 8", the other is almost 12") and I really would love to separate them but am afraid of killing them...any ideas??? Oh, and I love your red Hardy hib, AuntB...I have an all pink one that is blooming at the moment AND, my "huge" datura is a double. It's weird tho that the flowers on the dat hang down just like the brug instead of facing upward as I thought they should...

Take care EVERYONE and any "idea" re: the nanners and the dat would be welcomed!!!

Just "ME"...Jan

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I sprouted some one year with brugs, but the dats didn't survive. They are pretty... I do enjoy the hibs too Jan. Nice wknd for camping? Maybe the dat blooms are so heavy they weigh down the stem? I do remember snatching the pup of a Basjoo, but I guess how ever I did it wasn't successful... I know there is a "certain" way, if I remember..........

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

yeah i've been through several basjoo pups. finally i got one to work this past winter. sigh its been a busy weekend. i was uo in the blue ridges this weekend and then came home to a 3 page report due today on Oedipus Rex that i hadn't even started!

AuntB---do you keep your nanner in the ground or dig up for the winter? RE: camping...we only have 3 more weekends left then we winterize the first weekend of Nov.

Amanda---how're the brugs doin'? Sorry bout hi-jacking your thread. My brug is working on it's 2nd flush---YES! YES! YES!

Kim---show us pics when your buds bloom!!!

dhs---good luck with your homework...what grade are you in currently?

Just "ME"...Jan

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I don't keep nanners. Too much digging and worrying for the wow factor I get, I guess.... I have too many other tropicals and tender plants that produce more prolifically. I have tried them both ways...left in the ground, covered with mulch and leaves..... came back, took forever and didn't get very tall.... And dug in fall, wintered over in cool basement,. came back, took forever and didn't get very tall......
Yikes, Jan, 3 weeks? I love autumn... but winter- NO, NO, NO!
TL- The Oedipus Rex report COULD have been completed BEFORE the Blue Ridge's outting... lol See anything pretty and interesting? Take any pics? How did the report come out?

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Aunt B, I don't know if it will make it over the winter or not. It gets really cold in february usually not colder than 35 degrees but they tell us on the the news to expect a freeze some nights.

Here's a new view of my bruggie

Thumbnail by dangitgirl
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

And lookie what I am growing......*cheesey grin*

Thumbnail by dangitgirl

dangitgirl--- are those baby brugs??? Before I looked at the name of the poster I thought maybe Amanda already started some of the brug seeds I sent her.

Amanda---WHERE ARE YOU???

AuntB---Just so you know...we don't "do" tent camping...too old for that!!! We've got a 28.5' trailer complete with all the amenities (bathroom w/shower, Queen-size bed, microwave, heat and A/C, sofa that converts to a bed, Stereo system...) and we built a huge deck and a 6 ft. sq. firepit built with many, many rocks that we collected from construction sites.........and we have a huge mountain of wood to feed the hungry fire (I build the best fires!!!).

Kim---any pics yet???

TL---didja get the homework done?

...did I ask 20 questions yet???...

This message was edited Oct 9, 2007 3:14 PM

This message was edited Oct 9, 2007 3:23 PM

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Been a couple years since I sowed any brugs, dangitgirl....... they look like marigold seedlings... What is it? Your brug won't like 35 degrees and will die to the ground with freezing temps, but some people cover their plants with Christmas lights and throw a blanket over them.... that might help if it's just a few nights........Well, Jan, here I thought you were sleeping on a bed roll under the stars! (not really, but the firepit sounds wonderful!) I'm a pretty good "firestarter" myself and just to be out in nature with all the sights and sounds....ah! peaceful.

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Jan - hijack away!! I got a few pics on my camera and I've ben running like crazy all weekend taking care of family stuff (not my immediate - more like extended, ugh). Not fun. I'm putting up pics tonight, I PROMISE!! Grrr ...

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Amanda! You do what you need to do. Those pics can wait another day, please remember to take 2 and go out and sniff up some of the glorious scent, THAT can't be captured on digital film....

Hello all -all my babies have buds and are about to bloom again !! it is the red maybe a sang that is killing me i got it when i had nooo clue winter catalog got me :) this looks wierd two colors one plant i will try to take a better pic dark and windy out Kim

Thumbnail by kimarj

Hello again ..does the cool night temps cause this ? they where all yellow before Kim

Thumbnail by kimarj
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

yeah i got it done.... but procrastinating is just me! i saw something VERY interesting there... a datura growing wild in the middle of nowhere..... in the NC mountains!

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Sooo pretty!! I love pics!

Here are a few of mine that I've been promising ... this is from a few days ago ... I've got a new flush coming on!

Thumbnail by AmandaTaylor7
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

datura..... metel I believe. When I got the angel trumpet I got the devil trumpet too! The devil trumpet ..... didn't like the move though....

It's only cold during February. I can move my daturas in hopefully...... I've never grown them and would be crushed if I didn't get at least one to make it through the winter.

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Amd here are some closeup pics of the blooms

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Dusk shot of my Brugs...soon I'll be bending backwards to see the blooms when just a few months ago, I was bending over forwards looking for buds! I love Brugs. And hibiscus, of course! ;)

Amanda your blooms are fabulous so fluffy and light send me a sniff;) Kim

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey ...... I can't get this guy out of my livingroom...
way off topic but i had to share!!! my husband did it!

Thumbnail by dangitgirl

yikes lol lol

(Mary) Poway, CA(Zone 10a)

Gross! A bit overdressed for just hanging around, don't you think .....

Mary

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Kim!

Hello all what a difference a night makes! Kim

Thumbnail by kimarj

Another pic Kim

Thumbnail by kimarj
NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Insignis Pink, Kim?? Let's see what they look like tonight. I've never had one with buds so cylindrical, (is that a word?) but the blooms remind me of Ins.Pink. They ARE gorgeous, no matter what! How's the smell?? Amanda, those are quite perky and such gorgeous yellow, too! It's payoff time, girls!

Dangitgirl, don't get me started with that pic of the "man" hanging around... . I'm livin' on my own now, and I can think of several avenues of humor to travel!! lol Nice decoration. ;) Speaking of travel.... I caught this "traveler" crossing the front yard the other night.... I invited him in and he thought he saw a quad bloom on my peach versi out back (hence they eyes bulging) , but he was wrong.

Thumbnail by AuntB
Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Soooo pretty, Kim!

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Ha ha, to funny AuntB!

Hey AuntB! don't know what they are was a 3 color deal no names. You really are funny!! Thanx Amanda . Kim

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

So's I understand..... Is that one plant, Kim? Or 3 plants... 3 different colors.... (dangitgirl's fault, she got me sidetracked, lol) Now, I'm cornfused!

Sorry AuntB, 3 plants...white..pink..yellow , they all smell yummy!! Kim

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

LO i am side tracking ya Aunt B....Sorry Beautiful Brugs....I want some BLOOMS well even A bloom.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.