Gloriosa STILL blooming

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

This has been such a strange year. Normally my gloriosas start blooming in late June or July and they are done by sometime in August. But here it is October and they are still blooming. Not that I am complaining.

Thumbnail by rylaff
North Augusta, ON

They are beautiful!!

I have not been able to get a single seed to germinate....same with Passies.....must be a secret to it.....although, probably for the best, I have no idea where I'd keep it in the house....can you tell I suffer from zone envy?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I have so many of these and yet, I have never had one to seed. However, they grow from tubers and the tubers regularly divide. I can send you a tuber. You can store it just like any other tuber and then plant it in the spring. You would need to dig it up each year. The biggest problem with that is they like to migrate and sometimes you have to go looking.

Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

Lisa, do you have yours in some filtered sun or in shade?

In my move back to NC, I found a pot that has 2 growing and I'm going to plant them here. Never could really get it to do anything in Santa Rosa Beach and I always guessed it was because they were in too much sun so I thought I'd put these in the ground. They'll be ok here for winter won't they? But I'm not sure how much sun to give them. Our sun here on the NC coast isn't quite as extreme as yours, but close.

Wish I could have seen your gardens before I moved. Another one of those things I should have done in life.......

Barbara

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Some are in full sun and some get afternoon sun. They all do well.

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Lisa - ok, my jaw is mopping the floor. I simply love this flower! I wonder if I could keep the Gloriosa Lily vine outside all year long around here?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Absolutely. I am on the cusp of 8a and 8b and mine are in the ground year round. They do fantastic here and multiply like crazy.

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Awesome!

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Lisa, mine set seed pods - I'm waiting for them to ripen - probably sometime in Dec. or maybe as late as Mar.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I guess I have had hundreds of vines over the years and have never had one seed pod. I have even used a paint brush to pollinate. Nothing.

Moody, TX(Zone 8a)

I started this from seed of this last winter. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to bloom from seed?
Patsy

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

rylaff,

I live in Niceville too and would absolutely love to have one of these tubers. Is there a chance one is left that you can part with? I have seeds I could trade. Let me know.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Sure. Come over one weekend and I will dig you up one.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Lisa, you are so generous and such a sweetie!

San Antonio, TX

parrotma32578: would u consider trading seeds for any on my list?

SEEDS

4o'clock
Amaranthus-pygmy
Anise hyssop
Aruncus diocios
Calamus-Sweet flag
Calendula-yellow & orange
Celosia
Clematis-Sweet Autumn
Coneflower
Coreopsis-yellow tall
Cosmos-yellow or orange
Crepe Myrtle-wtn hbj
Dantura(Angel Trumpet)-white
Eremalche rotundifloria-Five Spot
Gaillardia
Hosta (unk)
Hyacinth Bean-purple & white
Queen Anne's lace
Larkspur-Imperial giant,blue
Liatris
Moluccella laevis-Bells of Ireland
Obedient
Phlox-creme brulee
Rose campion
Marigold-maroon, orange & red, mixed dwarf, raggged reggie
Milkweed-purple swamp
Morning Glory-Red, purple, blue, mixed, Yelta, Dwarf Blue,
Rose Campion
Rudbeckia
Salvia-mixed
Verbesina encelioides-Golden crown beard
Zinnia

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Mine have finished blooming and I don't really know what to do with the tubers. We're gonna get down to 30 Wed morning, so could someone tell me what to do? Dig them, how to store, ect.

Thanks,
Debbie

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I dug a bunch up a few years ago when I was changing out beds and kept them in my house in peat in the garage. It got cool in the garage, but never froze. They did fine.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Do you let them dry first or just take em out of the ground and put em in peat?

Debbie

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I let em dry out some and then made sure the peat was dry also. They did fine. I dont normally dig mine up but did it that year while I moved stuff around. Treat it like a bulb you dig up.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

OK, thanks for the info!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.