New Greenhouse

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

it's a stapler shaped long that you can swing like a hammer to drive the staples in. Nothing to squeeze down on so it's less labor intensive.

MollyD

Fulton, MO

I did just what you are considering, having the electrician run the panel to the GH, then I did the rest of the wiring.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

OK. I'll look for one.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I just ran two separate circuit lines to my g-house, too. I guess an advantage for you to have a meter base, BB, is that you'll be able to keep the power bill separate from the house bill for expense/record keeping and tax purposes.

It's very easy to run your lines, putting in outlets, lights, light switches, etc. And yes, ground fault outlets are the way to go, for safety's sake.

You've been doing a lot of work! Looks pretty good!

Shoe

Thanks Shoe:

I think I'm leaning towards running the circuits as it seems to be the easier route and as many have expressed, it doesn't seem that I need to site another meter. I pretty much know what I'm using from looking at the bills.

You getting any rain?

BB

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Nope, no rain at all here! And here we are back in Summertime weather! (82º here today).

If you are considering running your circuits from the house you might want to consult with someone regarding the distance from your breaker box to the g-house. If you are running 20 amp circuits you might want to know the proper gauge of wire if you are running for extended lengths. I can't remember how far you can run a 20 amp line using 12 gauge wire w/out losing amperage. (I bet Stressbaby can help us with that though!)

I ran two 20 amp lines to my g-house (12 gauge wire) a distance from the breaker box to g-house of 50 ft, then from there the wire goes quite a ways IN the g-house (one way to run fans, lights, outlets, another way to run shutters, lights, heater, fans, outlets, etc) so I know I am working with wire running quite a few feet but I've not noticed any ill affects.

Wish I was down your way to help out, we'd knock it out pretty quick!

Shoe

Fulton, MO

Here is a little chart, pasted:

Quoting:
Here's a quick table for normal situations. Go up a size for more than 100 foot runs, when the cable is in conduit, or ganged with other wires in a place where they can't dissipate heat easily:

Gauge - Amps
14 - 15
12 - 20
10 - 30
8 - 40
6 - 65

Just to clarify, I have a subpanel, but not a separate meter. So I started with 100amp panel/service and installed the breakers, outlets, conduit etc from there.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks, SB...that makes it pretty easy to understand!

Hmmm...I wonder if there is a problem "in reverse" with using wire size and amperage. If you are running a 20 amp breaker on 8 gauge wire (instead of 12), would there be a loss of amps or something else that would have a negative affect? (I'm yanking out a 50 amp breaker soon, replacing it with a 20 amp breaker and hoping to use the 8 gauge wire that is already in place to hook up a water heater.) (I'll double check tomorrow...it might even be 6 gauge wire.)

BB, that chart will do you justice. Good advice there!

Shoe

Thanks for the chart.

Another question.

Do you use standard outlets or GFCI?

BB

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

GFCI at the beginning of each run. That protects all the outlets in that run.

MollyD

Thanks Molly

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

That's what I did, too...only GFCI's as the first in line. I suppose I could've also just bought GFCI breakers since I had to buy breakers anyway. (Knowing me, I bet I opted for standard breakers 'cus it was a less expensive way to go!)

If you're putting in some outlets that will only be used sporadically you might want to buy the kind of covers that have "doors" on them, helping to keep water and moisture out when they are not in use.

Hope you are having 'summer time' weather down your way like we are having here; you'll be getting lots of work done!

Shoe

Hi Shoe:

Has been close to 80 the past 2 days! Talked to friends and family in NY and they had snow on Sunday. Go figure. I sure wish the poor folks in the Midwest could send some of that weather our way

I did buy the covers you described.

BB

Well, I finally finished.

Had to make some changes in plan due to finances. No Electric. Wire alone would have run a small fortune.

But it's homey

Thumbnail by BronxBoy

Our biggest mistake was not getting the plastic as tight as it probably should be. But it's not bad for beginners.

Nice to have the extra room

Thumbnail by BronxBoy

The plants seem happy

Thumbnail by BronxBoy

Oh and we had a visitor. I made my pain in the butt rat terrier earn his keep

Thumbnail by BronxBoy

The rat didn't eat anything but I'm nervous about putting my tomato plants in there.

How do you handle rodents?

Thumbnail by BronxBoy
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

BB, Great lookin' GH you've got there. Wish mine was that big. DH ran the electric for me with wiring left over from his workshop, so I really lucked out there. Give that doggie an extra treat. Such a good doggie. Can I borrow him to scare away the raccoons that are stealing my bird feeders. They are tearing them down to get at the suet. We had rats after the seed too, but DH trapped them and "disposed" of them. I never saw them in the GH. Just lizards in there. Becky

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

BB, that looks great! Are you starting your seeds out there now with no heat? Does it not get too cool at night? I keep thinking it's still too cool to start seeds out in mine. I'm chicken. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try though. Yous looks great! ( did I say that already??)

Pdoyle

I ahevn't started any hot weather seeds like eggplant or tomatoes. I do have some other starts such as spinach, chard and herbs that are doing well. I started some flowers this weekend and the hollyhocks in there seem to be doing well.

I am going to make sure I don't have any ongoing rodent problems and will move my transplanted seedlings in there if all is weel. I have the doors up know so it will be a little harder for something to get in.

BB

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Bronx Boy your greenhouse looks great! Bet that terrier was happy to be doing what it was bred for! I don't have much of a rodent problem. I've put out poison blocks once or twice but that's been it. Had a garter snake once but generally they don't want to be where people are so it move out. Too bad cause I wouldn't have minded it since the snake would eat any rodents that might want to move in.

MollyD

Thanks Molly:

That dog is certifiably insane. I was working down there when I saw the rat's tail. So I went and got him to see if he would take care of business. He made short work of him so I told my wife she could keep him. :-)

We got the back door put up We just had a large piece of plastic there which is probably how it got in.

BB

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

LOL He sure earned his keep that time!

MollyD

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.