Show us your bloomers!!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Moondance

Al, the dahlias smell like dahlias

Thumbnail by grampapa
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I don't think I've smelled anything plant since lilacs. I do get a kick out of people smelling the dahlias and cosmos.

Barbarossa is a radioactive red isn't it. Roses look good, I like the ones that I like.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Wow! your dahlias are amazing, grampapa. I am going to have to seek out a Barbarosa!

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

very nice pics

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Great photos on a cool autumn day.

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

Enjoyed the blooms everyone!! Eleanor

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Amazing blooms you all have still going!! So many to enjoy tonight!

Kassia - I love the shots of your turtles! Very handsome guys!

I processed a lot of herbs today for winter seasoning, and it was surprising to me that the pineapple sage has just begun to bloom. The plant (in a pot) is over 4 feet tall and I got a shot of the blooms, but when I tried to take a closeup with the macro, it blurred, so ignore the blurry one and look instead at the ones in the background. Very pretty for an herb bloom. Also, the leaves give a great flavor to chicken if you tuck them under the skin with some olive oil and rosemary.

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook
S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Very pretty and sounds delicious! When's dinner?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Nice job everyone!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Great pics!!!!! oh I love it...

Al, I love the scent of some dahlias... it's funny how it makes me think of my grandma every time!

so let's start with dahlias... this is a new one for me...

Thumbnail by Kassia
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Night owl

Thumbnail by Kassia
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Pensioner's Voice

Thumbnail by Kassia
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

another iris... it is the best surprise of all!!!! I usually complain that irises season is gone and go to look at the foliage and then I find one blooming!!! so I stare at it and notice every detail.. so pretty!!!

Thumbnail by Kassia
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

micro miniature... Baby Betsy McCall I think!

Thumbnail by Kassia
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

desert rose I got at Logees

Thumbnail by Kassia
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

my succulents are looking good... they stayed all night outside and it was so cold! I feel bad for them...but they are doing well!

Thumbnail by Kassia
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Lady of Guadalupe.. tons of blooms... finally blooming!

Thumbnail by Kassia
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Playboy

Thumbnail by Kassia
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Green Ice ... another miniature!

Thumbnail by Kassia
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

micro mini Cinderella... so cute...

Thumbnail by Kassia
Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

Kassia - are you in a different time zone or just couldnt' sleep? Very nice blooms!! Eleanor

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Kassia, how many roses do you have? Some of these look like old-fashioned roses.
Here is an acidanthera. I got the bulbs in late and they are bravely holding up to the cold weather and "almost" frosts

Thumbnail by bebop2
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

That's one of my favorites for scent, too.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

bebop, that's so pretty! (had to look it up...I wasn't familiar)

Kass, wonderful pics! I'm jealous of your desert rose. I didn't even know you could get a variegated one. Have I shown you my baby one from seed (can't remember)?

DB, pineapple sage isn't hardy for you, is it? I've wanted to try it, but just for the decorative aspects. I didn't know it was good for cooking, too. Do you bring it inside and winter it over?

Thumbnail by grampapa
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Great shots everyone! Trying to catch up.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

love the acidanthera - looked it up on PF - wow!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

We have always called acidanthera 'Peacock Orchids' they are one of DH favorite annuals.

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

I've always thought of them more as a summer flowering bulb than an annual because I dig them in the fall and plant them next spring, very similar to gladiolas (does that make them corms?). They multiply like crazy.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I think they are considered a tender bulb as I do the same. I lost mine to the very wet fall we had last year.......they just rotted!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I have some die-hard snapdragons that have been with me for 3 years running now.
Pink

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

White ones

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Pretty!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

And yellow, which are starting to show signs of the cold. The dark blood-red ones have already gone by.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Pixie, do these come back like a perennial? I've always treated them as annuals. Do you know what kind they are?

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

bebop, I would have to say yes on the perennial. I bought them as an annual one year and let them go to seed. The next year they sprouted back up so I have continued to let them go each year. The were 'Tahitian Mix' but I think they may be these in PF's.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/44/

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks Pixie, I'm going to try them. I really love them. They look like they are not very tall from your photos. Are they dwarf?

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Mine are! lol But it may be the "Tahitian Mix' was a dwarf blend. I get pinkish-peach, reddish-orange w/yellow, deep red, white tipped in pink plus the one's above.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

love the snaps Pixie

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Bebop, You may have just added another tender bulb to my garden. That is pretty!
I refused lifting bulbs but this website keeps "pulling me back"

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Kassia - your roses are so pretty, and I love that variegated desert rose!

Bebop - I, too, may join Dave in getting some acidanthera for spring! Lovely!

Jan - the pineapple sage is not perennial here in NH. Unfortunately, I can't take it to Fla. with me and we don't keep heat in our NH house over the winter, so I'm just hating to think that it won't make it much longer! I'm not sure how it would do indoors, but I'd bet it might do ok in a sunny window. I was surprised at how tall it got. I have been using the leaves in cooking all summer, and I am taking a ziploc full of them to Fla. I have dried enough thyme, rosemary and oregano to get us through the winter too. I keep forgetting that I can plant those herbs in Fla. for some fresh seasonings as well. Last winter I had better luck with dill down there than I do here. It was full and bushy.

We went to the Butterfly Conservatory in Deerfield, Mass. today and it was a purely magical experience. The plants were as pretty as the butterflies. Here are a couple of pretty shots.....

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.