Ash Trees dropping their leaves, what comes next?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Our 80 degree summer continues but our nearly bare White Ash trees (a few bright yellow leaves remain) and the friendly consumer guide to 'the best lawn rakes' in today's Chicago Tribune suggests otherwise. Would you all care to share observations about the sequence and rate of the fall color change and leaf drop (acorns, chesnuts and other seeds) as we move toward the inevitable change of season? I'll pay attention and share what happens in my neighborhood of sycamore, oak, birch and many, many maple, and look forward to hearing about yours.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Trying to remember all this,
early droppers - ash,birch
mid - chestnuts,silver maples,crabs
late - oaks,norway maples

color is almost peak here - of course ash and sumac are down now almost.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Hope it's normal leaf fall on those ashes, and not trees dying from Emerald Ash Borer!

Resin

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks for your thought on this. I'll have to come up with a song to remember the sequence. Our community is facing a major threat as this EAB makes its way closer and closer. We have hundreds of thousands of city and suburban trees that could succumb to this predator, as they have in southern Michigan and Ohio. Scientists are working on several options to try to inoculate trees but who knows if a successful and just as important, a simple to use solution, will be found in time. I know I sound a bit dramatic about this but I'm attached to the three 50+ year old ash trees in my city yard. I check them regularly for a "D" shaped exit hole and watch with some concern when I see a bare limb in the upper part of a tree. There will be a significant impact if we lose these trees, not unlike Dutch Elm.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Fall already there? We are still weeks away... but the cooler temps would be nice.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

We have 28 acres. Twenty acres of this is woods. Ash is the predominate tree in my woods. I would say that half or more of the leaves are already down. I've been blowing them into piles in the mowed 8 acre area and picking them up into cans then moving them to the veggie garden. I'm kind of glad they lose their leaves early so I can get them taken care of before the cold weather sets in.

For the last 4 years I've been planting other varieties of trees like mad because I know the EAB will win this war. Tomorrow I'm having 5 five foot blue spruce delivered and planted. Last year I planted over 100 trees three foot high along with hundreds of acorns and maple seeds and whatever else I could get my hands on. I do have some other varieties of trees in my woods. The most long lived trees seem to be maples.

I will just take pictures and enjoy my ash as long as they are here and when they're gone I'll just enjoy the replacement trees and watching them grow.

There really isn't anything else I can do. It's nature and a cycle.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

In the Minnesota, green ash (including the wild ones) are one of the first trees to color up, but wild white ash turn later. The cultivars of white ash don't really do all that well here, as they are all from more "southerly" regions, apparently.

First green ash, then sugar maple, then white ash. Wild green ash and wild white ash coloring do not overlap.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

The White Pines have started shedding needles here.

In Maryland, the Tulip trees and Sassafras have turned yellow and some are almost bare. There is a drought in Maryland now.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

My two ancient sugar maples haven't started to turn yet, neither are the smaller maples. Ash and buckeye are about finished. They don't get much color though. River Birch is just starting. Locust, Padoga and Kousa Dogwoods, and Corkscrew Willow are still green. The Kousa Dogwood is always the last to turn in my yard.

Philo, OH(Zone 6a)

My ash still has all its leaves and is green. You might try spraying it with Sevin if you believe in that sort of thing, that is supposed to help. Such a sad thing. darn those beetles!

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

The trees finally have their peak fall colors around here now. It's a lot later than most years. Weird.

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

all our forest and woodlots here are filled with stands of dead ashes.
the county is cutting down right and left street trees full of ashes that
are still healthy because they will harbor the beetle eggs. ugh.

and these were planted in lieu of the american elms. whats next?
norway maple going to hit the dust? LOL

sher

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Maples have bright pools of yellow leaves at their feet. Driving though the neighborhood you see bright glow from ginkgo leaves which collect in mounds below the trees, now nearly bare. Around the corner, the deep orange tulip tree still has all its leaves, and the Japanese maples stand like brilliant scarlet guards on either side of our neighbor's front door. It's a lovely fall here--getting colder and dark quite early. Tomorrow is a raking Sunday--25 bags for sure.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

The pin oaks around here don't drop all their leaves until February. Color was much later here this year. Just passed the peak a couple of days ago. Now the leaves are all trying to fall at once! They've come down so fast and heavy in the last three days that raking is futile. Looks like Monday or Tuesday may be the end of them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.