Yankee or Dixie??

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

We have quite a mixed group here.

Mibus2 posted this link in the Texas Gardening forum and we may get a pretty varied response from this forum. http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelligencerreport/yankee_dixie_quiz.html

Once you mark your answer, don't change it. If you do, you'll have to refresh the page because otherwise it messes with your score. 0% means pure Yankee and 100% means pure Dixie.

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

I'm 60%, which is just barely a Dixie score. I grew up in rural KS.

And just curious...who else here says "sack?" I've met some folks who didn't even know what I was talking about!! Until I was 20, I didn't even realize there was another word for it. lol

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

It said I was at 53%, barely Dixie.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

40% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee

I don't think I m part of Yankee! lol....

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

63% for me!! YEESSSS!!!! LOL

The only one I couldn't answer correctly was the one about the road along interstates. We call them outer roads but that wasn't a choice unfortuntely.

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

yeah... we call it... "side of the road." lol

To us access roads are roads leading to the lake or the town sewer. Something like that.
Feeder roads make me think of huge cities like St. Louis and Houston.

Service roads same as the access roads. I also think of them as alleys.

The only frontage talked about around here is front of homes and businesses. But they aren't talking roads.

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

57% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category. Sack is correct for me.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I pick this service road:

(In some modern urban developments, a service road may be built to allow for waste collection, or rear access for fire engines and parking. Such roads are not alleys as they are too wide.)

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

I didn't do the quiz, but am not either...since I was born and raised in Idaho...lived there about 43 years.....have lived here 32.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

58% barely dixie. I guess a bit of my Grandfather from Kentucky slipped in. Drive thru liquer stores?? Around here you have to get out of your car first to drive drunk.

This message was edited Oct 10, 2007 10:36 AM

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Well as far as Missouri goes it depends on what part of the state you come from. You get into certain areas the heritage is pretty much Dixie. My wifes people all hail From the Onandoga Cave area between Steelville and Bourbon Mo. They go way way back to settlers. But the dixie comes from the fact that they were southern sympathizers and rode against the north with Quantrell and the Missouri Red legs. They were right in there with the James and Youngers during the civil war. I think most stuff south of 70 especially the further east you go is more Dixie than Yankee.

I have cousins who live in Kansas City, while I am in St. Louis. I've always been amazed at the difference in language. They Pop and Sack, I'm soda and bag. "they" have an accent, I don't, lol. They live in MissourAH while I live in MissourEE.

This message was edited Oct 10, 2007 10:31 AM

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

I live near KC so feel like I'd better chime in... lol I've found that the folks who call it MissourAH are a bit on the redneck side. My husband does it, too. It used to be a big humorous debate around here (hillbilly country) and DH looked it up...found out there was actually a real state-wide vote on it. MissourEE was the winner. He's pretty upset over that and still calls it MissourAH just to spite me.

Gosh, all these years I thought my cousins were just being stuck up with their missourah, lol, they would cringe if it was a redneck thing. haha, too funny.

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

That'll get them to stop!! ; D

LOL. We are always joking around about the ending of Missouri. I go both ways. Just depends on my mood. If I want to really annoy someone I will sometimes adopt a southern accent so thick that they just look at me like I'm nuts. lol

Pepper, we could be friends, I love being silly and making people wonder it I'm missing a brick. Cathy

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

74%. But I don't know why. My family both sides were basically Mo to Ca and backagain through the years. I don't have any relatives either in northeast or south.I've never considered myself either really. However when I've heard myself speak I never realized what a southern accent I have. I was raised all my life around kc. Several years back i took my niece to get some tennis shoes in kc and a woman there asked me if i was from kentucky. Recently i ordered a rose on the phone from a vendor in oregon and got corylus instead of chloris. Maybe she thought with my accent i said core-u-lus, but i would have called it core-ee-lus. Oh well i already had a chloris anyway. lol

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

the only time i ever heard mizzourah was from my grandma's cousin. It just sounds vulgar.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

My older brother calls it the state of Misery. LOL He & my oldest brother grew up in a Chicago suburb, the next 2 were adolesants to early teens and I was 5 when we moved to MO from a Chicago suburb. I'm personally against slavery so I guess I'm a Yankee. Oz, I have grown up just a few miles south of I - 70 but my parents were raised Iowa & lived in Chicago for over 20 years so I have northern convictions.

I didn't take the test. What do you mean by sack? Is that a fabric or paper container used for carrying something or a bed? I've grown up saying 'hit the sack' for going to bed at night. I also say 'hit the hay' for going to bed.

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

leaflady, the test has nothing to do with slavery... it just "tests" where in the nation you're from by the words you use.

Leaflady, In this test, bag=sack, frosting=icing, pop=soda, crawdad-crayfish, you all-y'all and so on. Because of radio and TV, many of the language variations are less than they used to be.

Cathy----- I spent most of my adult life in Maryand heights except for a few years on south St charles near Weldon Springs. I bought a house just off of Dorrsett and Mc Kelvey at a time when that intersection. was one lane each way and everything around it was grazing land for a Black Angus herd.

O, small world. My house was an apple orchard, just minutes away from where you lived. When I was young, this area was the boonies, just an old bumpy country road that the ducks swam on when it rained. For awhile we lived in one of the early houses, it was a money sucking pit of a house but it had a big old yard for the kids. I'd love the yard back, but not the house! The curtains waved when the wind blew in the winter, pipes froze, wasps nested in the attics and got into the house from one of many spaces where the walls didn't match up, I could go on forever. We had huge old boxelder trees that were always covered in bugs, I ate one once accidentaly. BITTER, woowee.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

the boxelders or the bugs? lol!

len, they are called boxelder bugs. Red and black suckers that would get so thick you could scrape them off with a shovel into a bag. They would cover the sunny side of our house, crawl into every nook and cranny, and leave little poopie spots on the siding. They stink when in large quantities.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/go/614/

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

yuck! that sounds like when i first painted my house green and all the caterpillars climbed up the side. They must have wised up because this year only a few crawl up the side.

Cathy---- Those red and black bugs do not look like large ants do they. I do not think i ever seen one. But if they look like great big ants be careful. They are actually groud wasp and they deliver one awful sting.

Nope, they aren't ground wasps, just icky stinky yucky old boxelder bugs.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I got 45%., and I've only been to the south once.

Well I never took the test. Was the wifes people who were here and fought for the south. Kind of anyway, Quantrell had a habit of taking what he wanted from both north and south. No wonder that outfit spawned the likes of Jesse James and the Younger's. Mine were not here yet. Mine fought against the United States in WW1 for the Kiaser. They left europe shortly after WW1 I believe. I never knew them. No colorful outlaws on my side unless you consider my Aunt Elsie who had a pretty fine speak easy in during probition and my father who was a darn good bootlager at 13 yrs of age.

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Again, this has nothing to do with slavery or wars or any of that. I think this test could easily be turned to where Dixie would be "country folk" and Yankee would be "city folk."

To me it was a comparison of how different words are used in different parts of the country, and how it has changed with TV, etc.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

well now mine was 61% dixie hmm. born yankee south when Okla. in dec. of 64.But i like southern men i guess though met both southern husbands had here in okl. one from s.c. one last one Georgia.

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm 61% Dixie. I picked up some terms from my GM's side of the family (MO area). Who knew?!!

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I am 53% barely dixie. Must be a yank but in another life I was 100% dixie!!!! BEV

Cathy-----My daughter owned a house in Bridgeton before sahe got married off Old St Charles Rock Rd. I have always liked Bridgeton. Her and her husband are looking at homes in Herman Mo. They are presently living in Columbus OH. He is planning on stopping work in 4 yrs and her in 7. They want to come back here.

O, really small world, I live off Old St. Charles RR, too. We were neighbors.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Speaking of "Yankee or Dixie" and box elder bugs, any one else grow up in an area where they were called "democrat bugs"?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.