What is blooming and growing in your garden for October?

Claremore, OK

Well, things are starting to wind down in my yard. However, some plants are still going strong.
This is my Cypress vine. This is very easy to grow and the hummers love it. I understand it also comes in pink and white. If you grow this, be prepared to pull out volunteers the next year.

This message was edited Oct 6, 2007 8:14 PM

Thumbnail by darlindeb
Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

What a pretty plant. I love the pink flowers and ferny foilage. Thanks for the pic!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Lots of annuals, my tall phlox finally quit blooming. Bloomed from June on. Mums are getting ready to bloom too. All annual ones. My clematis aren't blooming but since I put them back in the ground they are taking off. Hope all those plus my new jasmine come back next year. Especially the jasmine. Got lots of mulch around it so I hope it helps.

Claremore, OK

Red Salvia on Ocober 8, 2007

Thumbnail by darlindeb

My salvias are blooming again too. Red and white ones.

Claremore, OK

I'd like to see your white salivia. I thought about doing a red, white and blue garden.

This is the first year I've tried doing a fall vegetable garden. The 'Buttercrunch' lettuce
has been just fabulous.

Thumbnail by darlindeb

I will try to remember to get a pic tonight.

Claremore, OK

Here is a 'Wine Pipette' gourd with the photo from yesterday.

Thumbnail by darlindeb

My celosia'pink candles' mixed with celosia ( white blooms) don't know the cultivar, in my garden today.

Thumbnail by

Also pink cosmos blooming today...

Thumbnail by
Claremore, OK

Thanks for the photos. I'm thinking I might do a post for each month in the future. So, folks from our region would be able to put interesting combos together.

I can't remember the name of this one. It starts with an M. Anyway, I planted some from Wally World and some volunteered from seed that was in plants that a friend gave me, and the volunteers where more vigirous.

Thumbnail by darlindeb

Darlin~ looks like melapodium paludosum... and they're gorgeous too!!

Claremore, OK

Thanks for the I.D. garden6 that is sturdy little plant once it gets going. Once they start blooming they pretty much look like that all the time. This is my first year to grow those.

I went to a seminar on fall gardening and got this little tomato plant called 'Freckles' that they were giving away for free and it was planted about the end of August and has been producing.

Thumbnail by darlindeb

You're welcome!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Loving all the pics especially since the season is quickly coming to a close ;0( . Here is one of my Stella's that I love.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

My first year of cockscomb. My neighbors blooms are as big as a vollyball...my were planted later and not as large but beautiful just the same.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Black eyed susan vine blooming all over my pump house. My first year with this vine and will grow again next year. It is still blooming like crazy!

Thumbnail by dellrose

Wow!! Gorgeous!

Beautiful blooms Dell!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Thank you! I am sure gonna miss my flowers! I have already started cutting up sod and preparing more beds for next year!

Thumbnail by dellrose
Claremore, OK

Love the photos Dellrose.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Thank you..here are a few more I took this morning. It was in the 40's last night so wasn't sure what the day would bring. Here are a few marigolds in a basket container with a moonflower vine.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

My pink hydrangea were froze back this spring and this is the one and only bloom I had this year. Usually they are bursting with blooms. I was thrilled to have this one.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Pink Fountain Gaura. My first year with this one and I just love the way it sways in the breeze! This one is in a container but am getting ready to set it in the ground.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Vincas...old reliable show offs!!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I don't know what kind of hibiscus this is but has been blooming all summer. Such a beautiful red bloom. Sorry this isn't a very good pic but the sun wouldn't stay in. I'm digging it up today and hopefully will become a nice houseplant til next spring.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I took this the other day on my butterfly bush and the spider was identified on the ID forum as a WhiteBanded Crab Spider, Misumenoides Formospes. I love this place!

Thumbnail by dellrose
Claremore, OK

Yeah, dellrose posted more pictures.

This oxalis does well outside for me. I'm in 6b. I have it with some ferns and naked ladies. It looks good in the spring and fall; however, in the summer it can look a little strained but it seems to bounce back every year and get bigger.

Thumbnail by darlindeb
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Oh very pretty...love that combo. I'll have to see if I can grow oxalis in my area.

Claremore, OK

These Mexican petunias are still doing well. My husband started these from cuttings. I don't know if they will come back next spring or not. They are pretty much in full sun. I really think they need to be in a bed with other plants. I think it's too bare with just those by themselves, but this was his experiment not mine.

Thumbnail by darlindeb
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Oh..I love those Mexican petunias...something else to add to my growing list of must haves.

This isn't exactly growing in my garden but hopefully it will next year. It is a cutting that Bonnie (AuntB) gave me at the RU. I was so happy to see a bloom this morning. Thanks Bonnie...I love this one!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

This one is blooming in the garage. It is one of my containers that I'm acclimating for the indoors.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Sunflowers...compliments of the birds!

Thumbnail by dellrose
Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Blooming and Reblooming.

Thumbnail by happgarden
Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

We have about 8 large pots like this one with begonia's blooming along the walk and other places. Plus eight large concrete ones on the top of the sea wall.

Thumbnail by ozarkian

This is the rose bed and the upper arbor and fence that I put in last year.

Thumbnail by ozarkian

This is the Impatient bed along the steps to the lake. They were eaten to the ground a couple months ago by deer.

Thumbnail by ozarkian
Claremore, OK

Thanks everyone for posting the pictures. I love the roses, they still look good in October in Oklahoma, too.

This is one of my favorites. I understand men use to put this variety of rose in their buttonholes on their jackets.

I just planted my garlic today. We have Monarch butterflys moving through our area now.
Everything is still pretty green here.

Thumbnail by darlindeb
NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I'm lovin everyones pics! Rose, I LOVE your Autumn Display, how festive! I like begonias for this time of year, they really do well with the cooling temps... Oz i love your impatients walkway to the "fishin hole".. This is a friends water hyacinth... I never wanted any because they can take over your pond, but he's going to share with me next spring - I love the blooms, once I saw them up close..

Thumbnail by AuntB

Great pics everyone!! I will take pics of some of my plants as soon as I get the camera back and after Spooktacular. That starts tomorrow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.