Making eggs

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

I just mainly lurk on this forum. I sure do enjoy reading folks stories though : ) So I thought I would ask here and hope this the right forum.

I tired of going to the store and always getting old rotten eggs. There a few people in the neighborhood who have chickens but they look kinda fancy to me and nobody even at the markets sell fresh eggs.

I got the room so, I thought I would try and raise some chickens to get some fresh eggs. I have no idea if it hard to do or where to even begin. What kind and how many chickens do I need and what kind of stucture do I need to build.

I want them only for eggs. I don't mind guting and cleanign anythign dead, but I don't have the heart to kill anything and nobody aroudn here that I know of that wouldn't either, so I don't want to many chickens since they won't be made into chicken and dumplings, but don't even know how many eggs a chicken can lay and how often.

The fair is going on and I went to it purposely to check out the chickens. I saw chickens I never knew existed. Some was pretty cool to look at, some was funny looking, and some looked down right mean. I'm more lost now than I was at the begining. I would appreciate any advice if somebody has the time to throw some input out.

This thread has 5 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!