Heidi Chronicles: Treats, Toys, and Playful Kits!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

This is the ongoing story of Heidi and friends, raccoons that frequent my backyard "diner". In mid summer 07, Heidi, Juliet, and Diva had there babies. A few months later the little tykes began to show up for dinner with their moms - at the backyard buffet where we have a small pool, a makeshift "sandbox", and lots of well-played-with toys to keep those kids entertained while Mom eats - sort of a raccoon version of Chuckie Cheese. We've been watching the kids grow and play. They're all pretty big now and still playing with every toy they get.

We hope that you will join us as we spend time with Heidi and the others and get to know the babies better. If you haven't done so yet you really should consider going back to the last 2 or 3 threads to view the baby pics.

The prior thread in the series: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/771501/
(A similar post at the top of the prior thread will direct you to the one before that which contains the 1st group of baby pics.)
The original thread that started it all: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/603944

The photo below shows Heidi's kids in the pool fishing for feeder goldfish.

Edited to add a link to a 'cast' review: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=3980013

This message was edited Oct 5, 2007 9:55 PM

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Yupper... I'm here.

Lyndonville, NY

Of course I am here, where else would I be?

I want to tell you, your threads about the kits and Heidi, Juliet and the entire gang are very good therapy. We are going thru a very difficult time right now, my mom has been diagnosed with cancer. So, treatment is rough, and as the only child....with four children of my own...not to mention the furbabies in my life...I have been a bit overwhelmed.

I hope you know the therapy you provide me, the smiles and even tears now and then, but they are all good. I have had your dreams of living with the wildlife my entire childhood and adult life. Yesterday, a tiny little finch of sorts flew into our window. The time I spent with the little guy, bringing him around and then he being able to fly off...well, it does the heart good.

As is in the story of the starfish washed up on the shoreline, where the little child finds them and throws each one back......you do make a difference to each one.

Hugs,
Debbie

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Debbie, so sorry to hear about your mother's illness. Yes, Cheryl, with all the negativity going on in the world and in our personal lives sometimes, it sure helps to have the uplifting sweetness of your stories to make our hearts smile. Thank you!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

We all have those little things in life that we really hate to do. One of mine is grocery shopping when the store is so full of people and carts that every aisle looks like the freeway after an accident at rush hour. I am so "allergic" to that scene that I have been known to just skip the store and go home determined to eat whatever I can find in the cupboard whether I like it or not. (And, yes, I'm still trying to figure out why I even buy things I don't like in the 1st place.)

So it was that this afternoon on my way home from work I pulled in to the grocery store parking lot to find it overflowing with cars, a sure sign that the store would be every bit as packed. If I had been there to buy food for me, I would have just gone home, but I was there to get that some more of that cat food the raccoons are so fond of. Looking at all those cars vying for parking spots while shoppers scurried about between them I could only imagine the carnage inside, crazed shoppers cutting each other off to get to some can of peas or loaf of bread. No way I would have braved that for my own food. For a moment, I imagined just giving the raccoons the dog food for another day, but then I could just see that disapproving look on Heidi's face...and what about the kids. I couldn't disappoint the kids. So, with a stiff upper lip I parked the car, threw caution to the wind, and went on in there to play bumper cars with the rest of them - for the kids - and came out with 2 large bags of cat food, a boat load of granola and granola bars, a handful of toys, and a few things for me, as well.

Among the toys I picked up was another of those toy rats I'd bought for them a while back but could never get away from Widget (who had found the 1st one and stolen it before I could take it outside to the kids). I knew they would surely like it because Widget had played with the other one endlessly day and night until he lost it under the sofa. I was amazed at how well it seemed to hold his attention, so I gave it another look and found that it was actually made of real fur - rabbit fur, from rabbits raised for food according to the package.

The rat, about the size of a real rat, was strapped to a card with no plastic wrapping around it. I took some bags in and set them down on the kitchen floor, and as I turned to go back out for the rest of the bags I saw Widget snatch the toy rat, card still attached, out of the top of one of the bags and run off to play with it. Again! (I don't think he meant to misbehave. It's just that he's the only pet here, so, naturally, he figured the toy must be for him.)

When I went out to feed the raccoons, I took the cat food along with a box of chewy granola bars with peanuts, almonds, cranberries, and blueberries; a bag of roasted peanuts (in the shell); a couple of handfuls of fruit loops type cereal (from a large bag of generic version); and 3 cat toys: two 1.5-2in balls with slits in the sides and jingle bells inside, one with little vinyl strings attached all around the circumference; and the toy rat I had confiscated from Widget.

The kids scarfed down the fruit loops right away, and I could hear them crunching peanuts, but in the dark it was difficult to tell for sure if they were eating the granola bars or not (I broke them into pieces, BTW), at least, that is until a bit later when I noticed identical behavior from several different raccoons, all sniffing about on the ground feverishly searching for something while refusing peanuts. I tossed one a chunk of the remaining granola bar, and he quickly grabbed it and ran off to eat it. (This was one of Juliet's kids; I see this behavior sometimes when they really like something and want to minimize the risk of having it taken away.) Another found what he was searching for amid the grass and although I couldn't actually see it, I could tell from watching him that it was chewy and hence, a piece of granola bar.

About 1/3 to 1/2 way through the meal, I broke out the toys. In the past, I had to put the toys on the lawn before the kits arrived - to avoid scarring them, but now I can actually just hand them the toys. I dropped the 1st ball down among Heidi's kids as they were eating treats from the lawn in front of me. What happened next, surprised me. As soon as it hit the ground one of the kits grabbed it. At 1st I thought he had mistaken it for food and would put it down again when he realized his mistake, but was I ever wrong.

The kit started playing with it, sitting upright in the squirrel position tossing the little ball around between his two front paws, the little bell jingling endlessly. It was immediately clear that the other 2 kits also wanted the ball, so I quickly tossed the 2nd ball to them. One of the remaining kits started bopping it about on the lawn. This left 'poor' Dennis alone and 'toyless' so I held the rat out to him. He sat upright, reached out and touched it with one paw as though to figure it out. For a moment I thought maybe he wouldn't understand that it was a toy, but then he took it, gently from my hands and started playing with it. He drowned it in the water dish beside me, washing it repeatedly. Then he carried it over to a large square 17" flower pot where he jumped up on top of the dirt with the rat and played with it for a while. As I watched his very 'fluid' and somewhat repetitive motions I tried to think how I would characterize them. Once again words eluded me. He kept pushing it down into the dirt in the pot and then pulling it back up again in what I presume was a simulated motion of chasing and capturing the rat repeatedly.
Another kit saw Dennis with the rat and went over to join him. When Dennis left to go for a drink of water, the other kit continued the same maneuvers with the rat. Meanwhile the 1st kit with the ball took it over into the tall weeds where I could no longer see him -- but I could HEAR him. That bell jingled endlessly for an amazingly long time, and I could see that it was beginning to annoy Heidi who was trying to listen for sounds of danger in the midst of all that stereo jingling. (Don't you just hate it when other people give your kids noisy toys and you have to listen to them for hours on end?)

The kit with the bell, I mean ball, over in the weeds stayed gone for so long - bell ringing the whole time - that Heidi finally went over there to check on him. The kit with the rat eventually dropped it and went off to do something else, and when Dennis returned he went right back over there to look for his rat. From the time I gave them the toys until Heidi left and called them to join her, they did almost nothing but play, having all but forgot their dinner and even the treats. (Kids of all species appear to be the same.)

Although I didn't mention them specifically, I should mention that I gave Juliet's kids, one of which has recently begun eating near my left foot, equal quantities of all of the treats, and I considered giving them one of the balls but decided against it because I almost never see them play. I see them carry the toys over to their area and put them down but not play with them. I believe they play later after I leave. Tonight, however, I was there pretty late and at one point after Heidi and her 3 had left, I turned to see one of Juliet's kids over by that flower pot leaning back against a patch of rosemary, his back at about a 30deg angle with the ground, the flower pot against his side, his tummy facing upward and toward me. He was holding the rat with his front feet, 'beating' it with his back feet (like cats do but not nearly so rough), and biting it's head with his mouth. It was a positively magical thing to see. I could not believe my eyes as he was so darned cute that I can't begin to put it all into words. Unfortunately, a few moments later a noise sent all of the kids running to the veggie patch, this one included. At that point I decided to leave.

I couldn't help but notice that each raccoon that played with the toy rat held it oriented in the direction one might expect for a live rat, with the rat's nose pointing in the direction of the raccoon's head and it's tail oriented toward the raccoon's tail. It was as though they actually 'got' that this was a rat, not a real one but a symbolic one; otherwise, why would they always try to bite it's head off not the other end and always hold it such that they could control the 'biting' end of it?

Oh, and HRH was also there. He went over to the path to eat quietly without bothering anyone, but as soon as Heidi and the kids left and even before their footprints could cool down, he came over to search the ground for left over granola chunks. Knowing how 'the king' likes his chewy fruit cookies, I broke a bar in 1/2 and tossed it to him. The zoned out look on his face as he chewed said it all. I tossed him the rest of the bar.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Debbie,

(First I must explain that earlier I was typing while you guys were posting. You can see from the length of the post that I was at it for a while.)

My heart truly goes out to you -- more than you could know. Some years ago I took care of my mother when she was gravely ill. It was an almost unbearably, gut-wrenching time in my life. I am so very sorry to hear that you are going through this. The one thing that I can tell you from my own very difficult experience is that despite the toll it took on me at the time and for some time after, I would not trade even the most heartbreaking moment I spent with her in those days. My siblings and her mother all felt that they could not cope with the extreme difficulty of her situation. I have never been angry with them for not helping; I have always felt that I was the lucky one for having had the opportunity to spend that time with her however difficult.

The medical community has come so far in treating cancer today. I pray that they will be able to help your mother and that she will be with you for many, many wonderful years to come; but know that whatever comes you will never regret being there for her today and the time you have together now. Treasure each moment, however difficult it may be.

I am so glad to hear that you have found some moments of solace in the Heidi story and some smiles and even an outlet for some of your tears. So often we may never know how our actions or words effect others. Thank you for letting me know. I hope that you will continue to find some comfort in the story.

Hold on to your dream of spending time with wildlife. As I can attest, that dream may come true someday and when you least expect it.

Very heartfelt hugs (((Debbie)))

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thank you, Kywoods!

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Debbie, so very sorry to hear your news; my thoughts and very best wishes and with you and your mother.

Cheryl, what a riot that the cats' "jingle balls" were such a big hit: wouldn't have predicted that one. Sounds like Dennis and sibling were practicing mouse/mole/vole capture in their tunnels with the toy rat: how cute. When you first mentioned that toy, I was wondering what would come next. They make a much smaller mouse toy, covered in rabbit fur, for cats. Years ago we gave one to our ferret. The next day all we found was the hard inner mold: the ferret had eaten all of the fur! Last time we presented that toy....

Your stories really are very evocative, and bring the scenes to life for all of us who read them. Keep saving these threads for that book someday; it is truly a magical experience that so many would enjoy reading about. Love the image of HRH with his granola bar: such a sweet and funny studmuffin he is.

Know exactly what you mean about crowded grocery stores: they are the pits. I'm known for going down the road to a convenience store for my milk just to avoid that whole scene. Full marks for braving the mob to get cat food and toys for the kids!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Ruth,

I wasn't expecting those jingle balls to be such a hit either. I only bought them as an afterthought figuring at $1.99 for 3 what the heck. Even more to my surprise, the noise seemed to be a major part of the attraction. The kit that grabbed the 1st ball, sat upright holding the ball between her front paws just jingling the heck out of it as though mesmerized by the sound. She took it over to the large copper basin to wash it where the clatter of the ball against the metal bowl added to the cacophony and ultimately lead Heidi to go over there and put a stop to the disturbance. Of course, that just caused the kit, mesmerized as she was by the ball, to take it over to the high brush farther away from her Mom where she could jingle it to her heart's content and for quite a sustained time -- during which the 'developing' look on Heidi's face was priceless, I might add.

LOL at your ferret eating the rabbit fur from the toy mouse. I hadn't thought of that! This morning I went out to check on the toy rat but could find no sign of it, not even the plastic core. Only 1 of the 2 balls remained visible out there. I need to change the water in the pool today. The rat may be in there, at the bottom, waterlogged, or he may be 'hiding' in the brush somewhere, although I looked around as best I could. When Juliet's kit heard the noise and ran into the veggie patch, she may have taken it with her. ...or it may be over there in the forest with the rest of that odd assortment of stuff they've acquired over the years.

Last night I was surprised at how quickly the kits stopped eating treats and started playing. It was the 1st time that I had taken out 3 hit toys at once, the 1st time I had seen all 3 kits playing simultaneously and almost exclusively for an extended period of time. They were such a joy to watch as no toy lay idol for more than a minute and every kit looked momentarily swept away from their world of constant vigilance and alarm to a fantasy world of almost pure delight and absorption in the touches and sounds and challenges of play.

As it is in the raccoon's character to move with ninja-like stealth, their willingness to tolerate if not embrace all that racket seemed perhaps to speak of their comfort level. It felt good to have played a part in providing all that fun, and certainly made my time at the crowded store worth while.

Thank you very much for the compliment on my book - notice how I'm starting to refer to it now as though it already exists? Buy in! That's a good step forward. You know what they say, "If you can...believe it, you can achieve it" I am really getting excited about it. I've been looking at some options. If all else fails - and I'm hoping it won't come to that - Amazon has a mechanism by which to self-publish at relatively low cost due to on-demand printing. Amazon is also currently running a contest for new authors. The winner gets, among other things, a publishing contract with a 'real' publisher (forgot which one). A number of runner-ups get a free self publishing deal on Amazon.

If the raccoons leave this fall as they usually do - and I'm hoping they decide to stay instead - I'm going to use that time to get a big jump on the book. If by some miracle the book makes it, I will have all of you to thank for that. I would never have though of the idea on my own nor would I have pursued it without your (plural) constant encouragement. (Fingers and toes crossed!)

There are 'places' in the saga where I took the time to write somewhat creatively and, perhaps more important, to go back and edit the post; but in the interest of time, especially considering the additional 1-2 hour daily investment of watching the raccoons eat and the hours spent editing photos, most days I've only been able to manage the time to rush inside and jot it all down in whatever rambling manner my brain could regurgitate the evening's events. I am, therefore, pretty sure that I can improve on most of the prose. I'm glad, though, that I was able to get those initial, 1st impressions recorded as those things would be difficult to reproduce later.

There's another cute thing I've seen HRH do a few times lately but with so much going on right now have always edited out. 98% of the time Heidi tolerates HRH's presence in a manner which I liken to some very old (in terms of years together) married couples, but just recently they have had a few extremely minor tiffs. One such disagreement occurred when HRH, having gotten a little too comfortable around everybody and too excited about treats - possibly fig bars - had meandered over into Heidi's zone while she and the kids were still over there eating. He had food in 'his' dish over on the path but was clearly pursuing the treats he had seen the kits receiving. (I do toss him treats, too, but not as many.)

When HRH wandered up beside the kids, Heidi, who was nearby, issued a growling threat to him at the same time striking out in a symbolic 'attack'. Unless you've seen the behavior elsewhere, I fear that nothing short of a video could adequately convey the full effect of what happened next as HRH quietly and almost nonchalantly with his own characteristic demeanor simply turned on his haunches and with his posterior facing her, sat right down right there in her face and, sitting upright in a cat-like posture, thrust his chin into the air with a quite noticeable air of finality.

There he sat, resolute and such a seemingly immovable force that Heidi, realizing that the king had 'spoken' and this was not negotiable, quickly abandoned the argument altogether and turned back to eat her food whereupon HRH got up and went back to foraging about the area for leftover treats. It was only the 2nd time that I had ever seen the seemingly docile HRH put his foot down so to speak, the first being an almost identical scene in which HRH arrived to find Heidi's kids monopolizing the entire area and Heidi eating from his dish over on the path. On that occasion, he had walked up to her flanks looking as though he might move on up and try to eat beside her. Heidi had turned to growl and take a symbolic swipe at him. Again, HRH had just turned around and sat down with his chin lifted in an air of stubborn determination. There was an almost comical quality to his smug and resolute defiance. Seeing that the argument was in effect already over, Heidi had turned back to the dish and eaten a few more bites before surrendering it to his majesty.

The thing that most amazed me about the trip to the store was that I was sure I had done something for the raccoons which I would not have done for myself, and that I found quite amusing! I am reminded of the words in a certain Maltese book that if you get one you will soon find yourself owned by a Maltese. This is clearly also true of raccoons, even wild ones for even the thought of those disapproving faces was enough to cause me, with a firm grip on the cart handle and wielding the thing almost like a shield, to head into the battleground in pursuit of that cat food!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Just wanted to add that although we are STILL having cloudy, rainy weather, if I am able to spend time with the gang tonight I will try to remember to take the camera. I think it is about time for some new photos of those growing tykes. I have another jingle ball, another, different toy mouse, and a small, cat ball which issues bird chirps and flashing lights when moved - not sure how the lights will be received. I also have another one of those toy rats to take out. Hopefully I'll be able to get some good pics of them playing.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

What fun to read about what fun they had with their new toys! LOL And that's funny, too, that you would brave the crowded grocery store for them, but not for you--though I'm glad you picked up a few things for you, too. LOL

Maybe Summerkid, having been a professional editor, would look over your manuscript before you turn it in for publishing, in case there are any suggestions for improvement. Just make sure we DG'ers get the chance to buy first edition, signed copies!!! :)

Edited because I omitted a word, in case Summerkid busted me for it. LOL

This message was edited Oct 6, 2007 1:45 PM

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I have dibs on a copy of the book! I agree with a lot of the other folks here in that this is a bright spot in the day. The job I have entails long hours and can be stressful. I come to this thread to "relax and recharge".

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

This afternoon I cleaned and refilled the pool and put out lots of fresh water, then went out armed with toys, cat food, peanuts, granola bars, fruit loops, and a handful of leftover Reese's Pieces.

The evening had an incredible start. As I sat there waiting, I saw movement in the clump of Yaupon Holly foliage at the top of the fence. "Come on. come on, Sweetie" I said with the tone and inflection of a Grandmother seeing her beloved grands again after a few weeks or months of apart. With that, in a moment so comical it brought a smile to my lips, little masked heads started popping out all around the ball of Holly foliage - like something from a comic strip. "Come here, Sweetie", I called again, and with that, a bunch of wide-eyed, little raccoons began streaming over the fence and hurrying across the yard toward me.

While the others stopped off to eat from their dishes, Dennis came right over to see what I had brought this time. To carry all that stuff out, I had taken along one of those large, clear plastic containers, the ones designed to hold pet food. Curious and impatient, as I was unpacking my things from the container to find him a treat, Dennis stood beside the container with his paws on the rim trying to tip it over so that he could inspect the contents. I hurriedly grabbed the last few packages and then let go of the container. Dennis pulled the container over onto the ground, and right there only inches from my feet he walked right into the container which swallowed him up entirely but for a portion of tail sticking out. He even stayed in there for a minute or so checking out the variety of scents inside. When he did come out, I tossed a handful of fruit loops into the container and back in he went. I was utterly amazed at his willingness to do this only inches from my feet. As much as I wanted to capture the moment in photo I didn't dare violate the trust he'd shown in me by doing anything that might frighten him.

Unfortunately, and it is Saturday after all, things went downhill pretty quickly after that. I'm beginning to wonder if it's just coincidence that the best shots occur when I don't have a camera or whether the presence of the camera actually inhibits their free expression. At any rate, bits of sound from down the street somewhere coupled with the faint sound of Widget indoors barking at people going by on the sidewalk and such seemed to have everyone on edge. No one was all that playful, and everyone kept running off to hide. It was like a suspended game of Hide and Seek. One time I just turned to one side for a second to pick up my camera and when I turned back around everyone was gone. The whole night was like that more or less. Oh, well, I guess every night can't be like last night; otherwise, that would just become the norm, I'd soon take it for granted, and a bit of the magic would be, if not lost, then overlooked.

I threw the last ball into the pool with the kits who played with it from time to time but nothing quite like last night. Had Heidi taken them all to the wood shed last night after dinner to discuss the importance of stealth and the problems with jingle bells? Were they camera shy? Did the presence of the camera replete with multiple flashing lights stymie their spontaneity? Or was it really just that the weekend 'wildlife' had them spooked?

Whatever the problem, it was just clear that this was not going to be a particularly memorable night. I did grab some photos, but until I have a chance to look at them I have no idea if I caught anything noteworthy.

Edited to supply some of missing words, fix typos, etc.

This message was edited Oct 7, 2007 2:51 AM

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

KyWoods -- Oh, don't worry. I didn't mean to sound as though I never get things for myself. Quite the contrary, I have me absolutely spoiled. It's just that I wouldn't have stopped by the stores on a busy, chaotic Friday afternoon for me; I would have waited until early Saturday morning or something like that. If I couldn't tolerate what I had on hand I'd have grabbed take out or called for delivery. It's not like I live the ascetic lifestyle. Actually, I'd like to learn to consume less. (Maybe I should start with raccoon treats. LOL)

As to the book, I'm a long ways from the proofreading right now but will definitely look in to that when the time comes. At a minimum, I will gladly sign and dedicate a copy (or copies) for all who have participated in the Heidi threads!

LOL at your editorial remark. By now, I'm sure summerkid is going crazy with all of my typos and errors.

This message was edited Oct 7, 2007 2:41 AM

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

tetleytuna,

Thanks. You got it. Glad to hear that the Heidi saga provides you that brief respite from your hectic day. (Please, please don't forget to take some time off from that high-pressure job sometime just for yourself.:-)

Have to laugh at the image of Heidi's reaction to all the jingling last night: no doubt much like human mothers' reaction to blaring TV or, worse, the music and Fx from video games. I can just see the growing cloud of steam rising from her ears... Maybe she came back and hid all the jingle balls somewhere far far away from her ears.

Hope you don't find the toy rat under a bush some cloudy day and mistake it for the real thing....

What a priceless image of HRH: if you look up "passive resistance" in the dictionary, that should be the picture you see! And yes, that would be an instant argument-stopper; it's not like one of the girls (short of Diva's outright attacks) can actually make that boy move.

I really don't think you'll need to pursue the self-publishing option; the Amazon contest sounds appealing, however. Really glad to hear you're starting to think seriously about doing a book: go for it!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Ruth,

Quoting:
"Hope you don't find the toy rat under a bush some cloudy day..."

Is there still another kind of day out there somewhere?

Yes, passive resistance, that's the concept that eluded me. I think one thing I find so surprising about HRH's behavior when he does this is how similar his body language is to that of humans, especially the manner in which he juts his chin out and up to signify his defiance.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. :-)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

No great pics from Sat night, but...
Below is a totally unedited pic of Dennis taken moments after he climbed out of the plastic container. That's my hand, leg and foot in the photo, distorted by proximity to the camera. Everything, except for Dennis, is in the same position as it was when Dennis climbed out of the container (far right). (The grass and weeds are absolutely out of control. I can't mow the lawn back there or do any kind of yardwork until the monsoons end. Note that I had to wear my colorful, rubber garden boots because it is so boggy back there.)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

group shot. Heidi (front) not much bigger than the kids now. Note lighter colored kit at left.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

"Need some help?"
"Nope, got it."

Heidi's kit standing on resin garden statue (long since turned over) to drink water from top of plant (even though I just refilled pool and all containers with fresh water today)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Dennis

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Dennis. The other corner of the chair is against the leg of my bench so that's how close he is.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Heidi and kits eating cat food, peanuts, fruit loops, and granola bar chunks

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Heidi's kits

The kits are just adorable, and the good nutrition shows in their size; you can really see the difference between their size and Heidi's, who had to fend for herself as a young adult. The kids now clearly look at youths rather than babies, and are clearly in great shape for the inevitable time when they'll go out on their own. And Dennis looks adorable and full of fun and mischief.

Wouldn't it be great it for the crew sticks around longer this year. It could happen, as they've become more accustomed to counting on the "diner," and the monsoons must make foraging more difficult.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

I got a gazillion days behind, and just sort of skimmed what I missed - but I still adore this ongoing story!!!!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh murmur... if you get a chance, you have to go back and read about the kits with their new toys.

It's priceless.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Ruth -- Your assessment of the kids size and overall appearance of health is quite interesting. I guess since I see them every day I don't notice these things. It sure would be great if they would stay through the winter this year. The kids are still at a very fun, playful, and relatively naive stage which makes them so much fun to have around. If they leave now, they will return in spring as young adults, and we will have missed the a lot of good play time and the opportunity to watch them grow through whatever remains of their youth. But, I think the decision will reside with Heidi and just how set she is in her ways.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Murmur,

Well, it's sure great to have you back, and I thank you so much for the compliment!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Terese, what a nice compliment. Thank you, too!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Auntie Cheryl,

I bet if you added a 'jungle gym' to the play ground, they may be enticed to stick around a while longer ;-)

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I was behind too, so have spent today catching up! I was really missing Heidi and the gang, and wondering what all the kits were up to...... I feel much better now! lol

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

I did it - I went back and really read about the new toys . . . how utterly priceless!!! And, Scutler, your writing skills are excellent - naturally you'll do some editing, but I betcha the basics will remain the same . . . deeeelightful!!! I adore the photos, of course, but with your descriptions I could imagine exactly what was going on!!!

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

I'm just going to chime in here. I really enjoy reading your threads and think I am all caught up now. I have begin putting food and fresh water out beyond the fence for the racoons in the woods. I do believe they have enjoyed it as it has been extremely dry here and water is scarce for them. By reading your experiences it has given me the encouragement to help my group out. I have seen only one kit (which my dog ran up the tree)but am sure there are at the least 4 out there as food in all 4 dishes is gone every morning. Thank you for sharing your experiences as it has helped out my group of raccons and who knows how many others. And I am in total agreement with the others about your writting expertise and think you will write a wonderful book!

Judy

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

ROTFLMHO, Terese!!! You have such a way with words.

I was going to buy one of the cat condo things when I was at WalMart getting the fish, but it was a Friday afternoon and the store was starting to fill up with rude people such that I could never actually find a way to get to the condos. I decided to get that another time. (Then I forgot.)

I think you guys need to come down here and help me build all these things. We can redecorate the whole area, build a jungle gym, install the Heidi cam, etc. We'll call it the Heidi RU. Don't you have an RV?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thank you, nanny_56!! So nice to have you back with us, too.

(Why do you guys stay gone so long? What could possibly be more important that the Heidi story? ;-D )

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thank you, Murmur!

(You guys make great motivational speakers!)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thank you, Judy!!

Both for the wonderful compliment and for letting me know how the threads have helped you (and your raccoons). I'm sure your raccoons are overjoyed to find the food and water you are leaving for them. Naturally, we put a lot of emphasis on the food; but without a doubt nothing is more important to them than the water. Sometimes I'll go a few days without changing the water. Occasionally I'll go out there with a ton of food and treats and find that there is little or no decent water even though around here it has been raining almost non-stop since spring. When there isn't adequate drinkable water they either leave early to go look for something to drink or keep walking around searching for water, rechecking the various containers, etc. If there is no water, they quickly loose interest in the food, no matter what treats I have. Soon they just want a drink. That one night when Juliet's kids turned the little birdbath over it was heartbreaking to watch them go over there again and again looking for water and finding none. I'm glad you are feeding them and giving them water.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Earlier tonight I was in my darkroom developing some digital photos.

Here is Dennis (from tonight) eating candy corn off the seat of the chair that I use as a side table. (The charcoal grey thing on the far left is my leg.) Dennis enjoys searching for his food on the chair and such.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Over in the back part of the veggie patch there is an area (just beyond the little bird bath) where the raccoons have pushed all of the tall weeds down and made an opening. It's just beside the area where Juliet and her kids now eat. When her kits feel threatened they hang out back there. It's their safe room. Sometimes I toss treats back there for them. Here is on of Juliet's kids eating a marshmallow back there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.