Well this is the darndest thing!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Came home this evening and looked up at the clouds as I was coming up the walk, and I saw this.
The tulip magnolia has blooms??? How very weird. It bloomed really nicely in the spring and has been developing the little fuzzy buds for next year. As you can see, some of the leaves are already yellowing and dropping. But there they are! About a dozen blooms.

Whattaya think? Maybe some buds that were brought to a halt by the drought in late spring and have now come to life with more rain?
Deb
(Lousy photo, but the sky was just white and the blooms are at the top of the tree.)

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I think you are right about the drought. It probably went into dormancy and has just come out again. I suspect it will still bloom well next spring.

Manning, SC(Zone 8a)

Our gardenia bushes have flowered again too, even though they exhausted themselves with heavy spring blooming, AND we trimmed them after they finished. Isn't it nice having a second show!!!

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Deb, mine always throw a few buds in the fall-the first year, I thought it was weird-deviant buds! lol but now I just expect it. Not sure if it really has anything to do with the weather,as every summer here is different.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Tigerlily: There ya go. First time I've noticed it. It was kind of a nice surprise. :) Especially with leaves starting to fall.
Deb

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

there is a saucer magnolia cultivar called susan that regularly puts on a second show.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.