Two questions, lime and manure

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

My son told me our soil here is really acidic (I know, spelled it wrong) so I needed lime. I got some, but have no idea how much to use. He said about two coffee cans per pile. Anybody use lime and should I wait until closer to tim;e to use the conpost?
Same question about the manure. Don't have any available so I buy it. Should I wait till time to use it, or do it now and about how much

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Hey Lorraine, your compost will help to balance out the acidity in your soil. Depending, too, on what you're planting, that might be a good thing to have high acidity - some plants really like it.

As for the manure, take a look at the threads - we've been discussing it on "Fresh Manure". I always recommend composting it, but if you bought it bagged, it might already be composted.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Lorraine - very correct spelling!
Also - I live in the Pacific Northwest with very acidic soil. I do use lime, but that depends on what I am planting & where. I try to adjust in very small increments - less is usually better.
If I need to bring the ph to a more neutral level, compost generally does the trick, over time. But I do use lime for those plants that have a preference for more alkaline conditions.
Every region of the country has different soil conditions, so it's hard to go by what is written in books/articles as the author may be speaking in generalizations, or from gardening in a particular region whose conditions are totally opposite from yours.
I found the best way is to have a thorough soil testing done, and to get your information locally. Hope this helps.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

My soil is just the opposite of Katye's, mine is very, very alkaline. So when I am making my compost I add sulfur to make the compost a little acidic. And I have to add sulfur around my Quercus trees, especially the Pin Oak. Then use pine needles for mulch if I have any. Haven't gone out into the hills with boxes this year to collect any so now don't have any. Used the last p. needles I had as mulch for my blueberries.

Donna

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

Kayte, I've been trying to locate a reliable soil test lab for more that N,P,K. Any referrals?

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

There are kits sold online & in most places you can find someone in the phone book (or online) that will do extensive testing for you. Depends on how thorough a test you want, and how much $ you want to spend.
I have done both - the kits are way cheaper - soil test was about $90, if I remember right. Also - you might contact the University to see if their Hort department does this type thing - you never know!

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

Can you refer me to an online Company?

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

I have used the Sudbury kits, & Rapitest. Sudbury seemed to be more accurate - each time I did it, the results yielded were very close. Rapitest was not as reliable.
LaMotte makes one that is more extensive.
I bought my first Sudbury kit locally at a Nursery. The 2nd & 3rd time was online, but quite a while back. Googled "Sudbury" but came up with no results for where to buy.

LaMotte tests are sold at the following places:
territorial-seed.com
gemplers.com
scientificsonline.com

Rapitest: amleo.com
growerssupply.com
gardeners.com

The best solution & most complete analysis would be a lab. I live in Washington, so I don't know where to tell you to go near Berkeley, but the Cooperative Extension Service might be the best place to start. Check the white pages, county govt., for the cooperative extension service.
Or, google "soil testing labs" in your area & see what you come up with. Call them & tell them what you're looking for; I'm sure you'll find exactly what you need.

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks so much. I called the county extension service and the Master Gardner volunteer discouraged me from obtaining a thorough test saying it was unnecessary! Since I have obtained 2 truckloads of compost from the city of Berkeley, and so many things failed in my veggie garden this year, I am convinced I need a test. Onward!

Richmond, VA

I'm a Master Gardener myself, and the first thing I tell people is, "test the soil". And, dun1kirk, that's exactly what you need to do. A balanced soil make the difference in success or failure with gardening. I'm surprized that the volunteer said no, and it was unnecessary. It is a most needed requirement sooner or later. I would do right away.

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

I will and I'll begin with Katye's suggestions. Thanks.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

dun1kirk - what a discouraging thing to hear from someone who ought to know better.
How is one to determine the condition of THEIR soil if there is no test??
Check out the different kits available. Generally, they contain ph tests & NPK tests, too in the same kit. I started with these & then went on to the lab analysis. More of a curiousity than anything else. When I tested a friends soil - in the same area I live, hers was completely different. I would always recommend this be done. At least you'd be saving yourself time, energy & money in the long run.
I sure hope you are able to find something that fits your needs.
Wishing you the best!
K

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

If interested, check out my other post FRESH MANURE, in the Soil and Composting forum!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.