Can anyone ID this wildflower?

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

This lovely little guy began growing all around our pond a few years ago. It is 6 - 8 inches tall and appears in little groups in mid-September around the whole pond. I have checked all my identification books but nothing exactly fits. I was in Minneapolis a few week ago and actually saw a single isolated one on the shore of the Mississippi. So it's not just local to upstate New York. Any ideas?

Thumbnail by bebop2
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Resembles a Coreopsis.

(Zone 4a)

It kinda looks like my coreopsis.

Washington, ME(Zone 4a)

Does it grow low to the ground? what is its average height?

Are the "little groups" connected? individuals or growing along a "vine?"

My recollection is that coreopsis grows like daisies that have some height.

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

Hi bebop! Welcome to the Northeast Forum. I've seen your name the last couple of days and I figured you were new around here!! Sorry for the delayed welcome but I'm just getting my brain re-organized and I'm way behind everyone else!! No, I don't know what the flower is so I'm no help to you. In fact I got on the thread to see if someone had definitely ID'ed it cause it is pretty. Too pretty for a weed!! Enjoy the Northeast!! Eleanor

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Charlotte, it is very low to the ground, maybe 6 - 8 inches at the tallest. It's hard to tell if they are connected but there is rarely just one. Here are 2 more photos I took but I'm not sure they are any more definitive. I thought coreopsis at first but any pictures of coreopsis I compared to these were different. The flowers are really small, maybe 1/2 inch across.

Thanks for the welcome grammyphoeb!

Thumbnail by bebop2
Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Here's the second photo.

Thumbnail by bebop2

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.