Blooming today....

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Almost ran into a rock pile backing out of my drive today, as I couldn't believe what I was seeing. My very first reblooming iris.....EVER!!.....Blessed Assurance. I've been so bummed about hardly any blooms this Spring, but this has definitely made up for that and brightened my day. Just had to share my excitement!

Judy

Thumbnail by jh_gardens
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Well, looky there Judy! Congratulations!

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Thank you Louise! I had so much anticipation of being able to post photos of irises I got from you a couple years ago when I began my excessive compulsive iris obsession, but a late freeze made that impossible. They are growing beautifully, just no blooms...yet!

Judy

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Woo hoo, that's great! Post pics, I'd love to see them. Have fun!
I think I only have maybe one blooming right now and I've done all my fall cleanup so the gardens look really clean. I lost alot, well 20 out of 500 isn't too bad but of course they had to be a bunch of my favorites. Boo hoo!

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Another wonderful surprise...Sugar Blues! Pardon the bad photo but I'm just so thrilled to have blooms!

Thumbnail by jh_gardens
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

jh_gardens,
Congratulations! To you and to me! I don't have any rebloomers, but I notice you are in the same zone as me, 5a. This gives me hope! And I have Sugar Blues, too. One doesn't hear of much rebloom in zone 5a. You must have really treated your irises well! Any tips for those of us who haven't had much in the way of rebloom?

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

pajaritomt ~ I hate to tell you, but maybe it's good news in that irises are very tough......unfortunately, this year my irises have been VERY neglected. Possibly the main factor for mine reblooming is that we have had 40+ inches of rain this season. I read in another thread that watering, I believe weekly, is one way to encourage rebloom. I have another clump of Blessed Assurance that has several bloom stalks on it, and then I have another clump of Sugar Blues that has none! I recently completed planting 90 more irises, and the rain has definitely helped them to take hold. Sure hope we don't get another late freeze this coming season.....I want some Spring blooms!!! Hope you get some Fall blooms too!

Judy

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I hope so too, but our ave. last freeze date is Oct. 15 which is fast approaching. But maybe next year, if I water a lot. We get about 18 inches of water per year, but I do use drip irrigation on my iris. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Olathe, KS(Zone 5a)

YES. I have a stalk with buds - Clarence. The stalk is curled and almost on the ground. No tall iris bloomed this spring because they got caught by that late terrible freeze. It is by my new water system so got lots of water last month. Maybe that helped? However, I also have lots of Immortality (which did bloom one year in October a long time ago) that did not bloom in spring or now. They were watered well too. Whatever. I will gladly take this mishapen stalk and dream of spring. Carol

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Congratulations on your rebloomers!

Carol, maybe your immortality needs to be divided?

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Thank you, Doss! I now have two clumps of Blessed Assurance blooming, and Royal Knight is now putting on a beautiful Fall show!

Carol - my Immortality has never rebloomed, but I'm pretty sure I need to move it from it's current location, as it doesn't get enough sun and may be planted too deep. It's too wet to dig in the dirt, but may try moving the entire clump (with a whole bunch of dirt attached!) when it dries out. I know I'm pushing the limits trying to move now, but hopefully it will work out. This has been such a weird year for growing.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Immortality has been fighting me for the past few years. Not many blooms in Spring and just a few in the fall....

Clarence is a better bet for me spring or fall.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.