I can't stop moving things around!

Agawam, MA

Does anyone else have the problem that I do - I'm constantly changing my mind as to how I want my perennials arranged, by color, by bloom time, by height, etc? Sometimes when I pick up a new perennial, I end up rearranging the whole garden to fit it in just the right spot. Well, even if I'm crazy, it's an excuse to be in the garden all the time!
Cindy

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

same problem here. it's the diggin' that gets me, usually right in the lower back area LOL.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I usually leave em where they are. Unless I planted it in the wrong light or it might look better over there... or the mood strikes...or, well, ok I move em a bit!

La Porte, IN(Zone 5A)

I think its fun to move things around. It has finally cooled off a little and thats all I'm doing. Everytime you move something, its like making a new garden all over again. I know the back gets sore sometimes, but isn't it great when you look into the garden and see what you've just created?

You guys can come to my house!

This message was edited Friday, Sep 14th 4:53 PM

Calluna has two ls!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i move things all the time-somethings gets overgrown or just to short or the wrong color in a group-im forever changing things!

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

I love to move things around, too. Especially as I discover new plants. Anyone know if moving daylillies is a good or bad thing at this stage? I'm zone 8. The silly things didn't bloom this year, but the location where I planted isn't going to work if they DO bloom next year. I need to move them and am just not sure when to do this.

Thanks.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i think daylilies can move around anytime of the year...my neighbor sales them while they are in full bloom, so you can see what you buying!
*did you know you can eat them too!
dori

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

My son said if I ask for one more thing to be moved I am going to be sent to a home. :)

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

I move things constantly over here! Some plants get bigger then I thought they would or Some don't do well because they are in the wrong soil or light and I have to move them, Some spread so fast that they run out of space where they are and I have to move them ...on... and on ... and on!!! LOL! So don't feel alone !!

Mason, MI

I was outside (all afternoon) moving things around today.
I'll get this garden just like I want it...eventually!
Oscarsdotter :-)

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8b)

Part of my fall clean up will be moving stuff around, for sure! I waited all year until I did it. I had no idea what half of the stuff I had was, or would do :) Most of my gardens are complete chaos :) Half of the fun is moving everything around!!

Trish- Dave's wife
with spade in hand!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I know what you mean! After helping me move a rosebush for the third time, my husband asked "Is this it's final resting place?"LOL Note to Smilin32, this is a great time to move daylilies. You can divide them now and plant them separately or move the whole clump. If you move the whole clump, try to keep as much dirt as possible around the roots and they won't even know they've been moved. It is good however, to cut the foliage back to about four inches or so above the crown. In our warm climate they will put out new growth and look much better.

I do the 'plant shuffle' EVERY spring & fall! LOL! In fact, I keep 2 pages in the back of my garden journal labeled: MOVE NEXT SPRING, & MOVE THIS FALL. I think that's what perennial gardening is really all about. You put things in as intelligently as you can, & then you observe how they look & perform there. If they're too tall or short, or the color clashes somehow, or you need something more rounded there,..or more whispy,...the shuffle begins anew. I also have SOOOO many perennials packed in SOOOO tightly together, that between my winter mail-order impulse buys, & all the plants that need dividing all the time, I end up digging a new bed or extension to my border EVERY summer. So a lot of my design mistakes get a second chance in the new bed. I'm rearranging a HUGE bed this fall (& into next spring) because the 6 buddleia I have in there just look too 'jungle-y' and need to be pushed to the very back. I'll bet I've already moved 100 plants just to get ready for this. I think all gardeners enjoy fine-tuning their borders for as long as they have the strength to weild a shovel.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.