Wood chipping

cedar rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I don't know if I'm in the right place or not...
My brother has to cut a tree down and if I go help he says I can have the wood chips..(he has a big chipper) My husband thinks that if we get the chips for my beds that I'm asking for trouble, because they won't have been treated...Anyone have advice???
Thanks

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Were you thinking of them as a mulch or to mix into your beds? On top of the soil they'd be great, but they have to break down quite a bit before you'd want them in your soil.

Treated with what?

I would use them as mulch, probably adding to my beds in the spring...
The garden center here, their mulch (woodchips- dirt)..has been treated for termites...

Richmond, VA

I'd let the chips break down a bit before I used them as a mulch. if you use them fresh, they will tie up nitrogen in the soil while breaking down. I'd pile the chips in a corner, and cover them with a tarp, and use them in the spring.

Do I even need to cover, we just made a big pile, and my husband said he'd take his bobcat and turn them in about a month...

Richmond, VA

A cover would help to heat the chips up and help them break down. Any kind of cover will do. I had a load of chips a few years ago. I covered them, and they seemed to break down faster. I suppose the chips will break down on their own, but I'd want them in a decomposing state when I tilled them in for winter. Just my opinion.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.