Local Source for Roses???

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I'm interested in buying 10 knockout red roses. The one nursery here in town has them in two gallon containers but they want $35 each!! I was wondering if any of you Michiganders know of a less expensive source locally. I could mail order them but would prefer to look them over before I buy them.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I'm with you Loon I wish I knew of a local place in Mich that sold realy good roses cuz this spring I'd be on a road trip big time
Gloria

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Great Lakes Roses in Belleville.
Big sale going on.

Paul

http://www.greatlakesroses.com/

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Paul, I thought Great Lakes was out of business?? Anyway, I was hoping to find some place closer to where I live. Belleville is about 170 miles from me. I see they don't mail order either.

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Go to their web site they have dealers all over the state.

Paul

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks Paul. I don't see anything in Arenac county on their website. I guess I'll just wait for spring and go to one of the big box stores like Home Depot. I'm pretty sure they'll be carrying the Knockout roses since they're popular and they'll have it for a better price I'm sure.

It's getting kind of late in the year to plant perennials anyway. It's 46 degrees outside right now and we had one night in the upper 30's already. My guess is we'll get a good frost here in a couple weeks.

It will give me something to look forward to in the spring I guess.

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Brenda..........Great Lakes Roses is up for sale.....Nancy is retiring, and believe it or not moving to Indonisia I believe.....don't ask me why.....anyway....she will remail in business till the business is sold. I would be leary too of planting any roses this time of year here.....Here is another thought.......If our Master Gardener group has her again, usually when she comes to Tawas area, she brings her roses to sell at the Farm Market, I will let you know.

You may want to consider JP Symplicity Roes, which are a shrub type rose and bloom all summer.....I have some myself....I ordered 12 of them two years ago, and got 13 of them....I have them all along the front of my garden in front of my house if you can remember.....they come in pink, yellow, red or a purple.....I believe......

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i plant roses this time of yr every yr from warmbiers when they do the fall sales
All have made it!

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Deann
Theor moving to Bangkok, Thialand

I agree, Why there?

Paul

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Paul....thank you for that correction....I knew it was someplace out there....

Deann

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

I talked to Nancy about moving to Thailand.
There's an American community there and the cost of living is cheap.
She and Roger have previously spent some time living there and love it.
Many retirees are looking to other countries where the taxes and the cost of living isn't so high.
Never the less I can't imagine living in such a different culture and so far away from family.

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey all you rose fans. I go to Lowes and pick up Knock Outs and DOUBLE knock outs at half price. I have about 60 Knock outs of almost all colors all bought from LOWES!!The most i've paid was 9.96. I got doubles in the Brighton Store when they marked them down in half in the late summer about August.
You can buy in containers even NOW and put them in the ground. Knock outs are almost a plant you can't KILL!

Thumbnail by jazzzy704
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks Jazzy for the information. I don't have a Lowes up here that I know of. I'll have to do a search to see where the closest one is to me. At this point I'll just wait till early spring to get them. Getting them for under $10 is a great price and beats the $35 price my local nursery wants for them. I want to buy a lot of them so I have to save as much as I can.

Your pictures are beautiful! Which do you like better the singles or the doubles?

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Brenda.......there is a Lowes in Bay City as well as Saginaw...

Deann

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

When I went to the store locator for Lowes it shows the closest store is in Midland. I didn't know there was one in Bay City. I'll have to look again. I don't go to Saginaw. I only know my way to Bay City.:) :)

Thanks!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I go to the one in Midland its not a bad store but I never find what I'm looking for but I do find a lot of what I'm not!!!!!!!!!!
Gloria

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

I really like the singles. The doubles are more compact and not as free looking. They look a little more up tight!! I will try to get a pic. of the Baby blush and pink ones I have too!! I'll try to post tomorrow.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks Jazzy!

I am thinking I'd like to buy all red ones. I thought that would look nice up against my white picket fence. Which color do you like best or is there a difference in how they behave or grow?

Brenda

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

there is NO lowes in Bay city there are menards and home depot here and tractor supply!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I was at Lowes in Midland to day not much left I got a huge fiberglass planter for 3 bucks though so not so bad
Gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks Dori for letting me know. I guess that is why it isn't listed on their store locator. I'm sure I'll have to wait till next year anyway to buy. I'll go early since I bet they sell out fast.

Brenda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.