Pinus contorta 'taylor's sunburst'

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi out there. Does anyone know of a mailorder nursery offering decent size 'taylor's sunburst'? I had a tiny one but it didn't survive last winter. Thanks!

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Hi Todd,
Have you tried your local nurseries? I have seen a few nurseries around here now carrying 'Taylor's Sunburst' in the 2' to 3' tall range. Previously, the nurseries were only carrying plants that were 5' to 6' tall and they were several hundred dollars (up to 600.00.) The smaller plants have been in the $150.00 to $200.00 range.

You might also want to contact Porterhowse Farms to see if they have any larger plants for sale via mail order.
Good luck,
Mike

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Mike...

I saw one at Rich's Foxwillow Pines this summer. It was 4' tall and $750. Ouch. I'll try the place you mentioned and see what happens....

Todd

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Todd, a quick search found this one http://www.shopgeefarms.com/shop/category.asp?catid=28 for $50.00 - nothing listed for size however. About a 3-4 hr drive for you? Looks like a place we might want to add to our list of nurseries to check out on our way to upper Michigan next summer - we drive right through Ann Arbor :)

Debbie

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Debbie....good work.

Now how about: Pinus thunbergii 'Aocha Matsu' or Pinus nigra 'Stanley Gold'. I'm suddenly on a variegated conifer kick.

Thanks again,

Todd

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

LOL, I'll see what I can do :) Went back and downloaded their 'catalog' of Conifers - not sure how current their listing is but you're out of luck, the 20 gal specimen is unavailable at $1,000!!!! However, looks like they had plenty of #1's :)

Went back to check their inventory - no luck on those two :(

We just sold our last 'Dragon's Eye' - a really young landscaper grabbed it - I had planned a spot for it in the gardens and reluctant to let it go so I had a "talk" with him to make sure he would give it a good home :) We already have two others in the gardens, but this one was a beautiful specimen.

This message was edited Oct 5, 2007 5:47 AM

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Dybbuk, try calling Sids greenhouse and see if they have one in stock. They have their end of season sale up to 50% off and I got one this August from there on sale for $85 or abouts.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/willismckenna/Conifers%20August%202007/Img_3686-1.jpg

Bill

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Bill,

I found one from Gee's. I haven't received it yet. Not sure of the size. Your's looks great. Hope mine is substantial but we'll see. It was $50.

Todd

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I'd be interested to know how big your tree from Gee's was. They sure have a wide variety of conifers.

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

thank you for the link to Gee's.
They are only a buggie ride away from us practically.

I can't wait to get over there.
sher

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

My 'Taylor's Sunburst' was tiny. About 5" tall. Cute little thing though. I look forward to seeing how it does.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.