Fall cleanup and moving

Central, WI(Zone 4b)

Do you cut your Siberian irises back in fall and if so how short?

My second question is can I still move some? I live in zone 4 but been having above normal temperatures-days in 70s nights in 50s with forecast for it to continue this way for at least a week yet.

Thanks for your input and suggestions!

Lebanon, OR

I cut mine back in zone 7 to about 5" then mulch with the cheapest steer manure from Home Depot about 4-5" thick for the winter.

I would not move the now...I have but I would not recommend it now.

D

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

In zone 4, I would not cut them back until spring. The foliage helps protect them over winter, and as sibs are not disease prone in the colder states, that should not be a problem. Cut the foliage in spring, when new growth is up about 2-3 inches.

I also would suggest you not move them now, UNLESS, you have significant snow cover in the winter, in which case I would say go ahead and move them by the middle of October, but I would not suggest dividing them now, just moving the clumps.

Central, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks Dee!

Central, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks PollyK! We normally have very significant snow cover although weather certainly hasn't been "normal" the last number of years. I really would like to move the clumps so may chance it.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

If you're moving clumps this late in the season (and it is quite late for zone 4b), take as much dirt with the roots as possible to minimize root disturbance. Even so, it's risky business digging and replanting irises this late.

Laurie

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Laurie, the snow cover really makes all the difference in siberians. I wouldn't move bearded, or JIs but sibs should do just fine. I have customers in Z4, again with significant snow cover, that plant them right up into December, with absolutely no problem. Now we're talking clumps not divisions. A friend that has a nursery in Z4 with significant snow cover even overwinters them in pots grouped together on top of the ground (which I don't recommend as they are a mouse magnet).

It wouldn't hurt to mulch them when you move them, either.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

The way I read 81302's last post is that (s)he hasn't had normal snow cover for the last few years. The way weather patterns have been over the last decade or so, I wouldn't count on significant snow cover in the upper Midwest.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

If so, I would not move them. I assumed that very significant snow cover meant at least significant snow cover in the abnormal years. But this may just be speaking from personal experience. Our winters here have been anything but normal, so instead of a ground cover of 6 feet, we have had 4 feet. I agree with you, if snow cover can't be counted on, don't move after about mid Sept.

Central, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks for all your concerns and comments laurief and pollyk! We have had snow always but not as soon and not as deep. Last winter it was about January before we had significant snow fall (more than 4-6 inches) that consistently stayed and eventually we had 2-3 feet that stayed until spring by me as live in very wooded area.
Living in primarily oak woods means get at least foot of natural mulching from accumulation of all the leaves. Know not the best as can compacts, etc. but I rake out in spring so don't hold disease. Is that enough? If not when would you recommend I move them?

Thanks ever so much for all your help!!!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I still say, given those conditions, they will be fine if you move them now.

Please let us know what you do, and if you do move them, how they are in the spring.

By the way, what siberians are they, do you know the names?

Central, WI(Zone 4b)

pollyk-Sorry I don't know the names. Someone gave me some and the others I got at one of local fund raiser plant sales.
Weather here turned cold since posted so am going to wait until next year. Figure our winters are challenging enough without pushing the envelope. LOL
Thanks ever so much for all your input!

Happy Gardening

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.