How long can iris survive in a box? ...

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Some can actually survive an entire year. I took some extra rhizomes up to my Mom's last fall. We planted what we could with the time that we had and I left the rest for her to put in the ground. She never got it done and left the box sitting in the garage. All winter, all spring, all summer, the rhizomes sat in the box. I kept telling her to throw the box away. Well, about a week ago, she decided to finally do something with the box but when she looked inside, she saw new green growth!!!! I was up there yesterday and several of the rhizomes didn't make it but I pulled out probably a dozen that had new growth. God is so amazing. He can give new life when by man's standards there should only be death.

I wouldn't recommend trying this, but if you accidentally forget to plant some, I wouldn't just throw them away when you discover them. Plant them in some back corner if you have to, but you never know what blessings God has in store for you.

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

daltri ~ This is great, as I've pondered posting something regarding this exact thing! Four years ago, I divided a lot of NOID's that were severely overcrowded. I got the majority back in the ground, but still had a box full of them left. That box has been on the east side of our garage all this time. Would you believe.....this year, the irises in that box were the best bloomers I had! They don't even have dirt on them! With the late freeze, I only had a few blooms from my "prized" irises, but these poor things "strutted their stuff"!! I'm leaving them just to see how long they will survive.

Judy

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Judy, that almost sounds CRUEL!! LOL "I'm leaving them just to see how long they will survive"

About 10 years ago we bought a house with a garden shed, no doors on it and it leaked. I think the following year I decided to clear it out. It had a TREE in it that had been cut down, the branches just stuffed in there. I found a box of iris that were still good (as well as the door that belonged on the shed). I planted the iris, they made it!

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I know, psychw2, aren't I terrible! I actually feel badly for them but, since I have a whole lot more of the same, will sacrifice those in the box as a test of endurance! Checked a couple days ago and they are as healthy as can be (at least for being totally exposed to the elements)!

Loved reading of your experience. Such fun to find hidden treasures.

Hartford, CT(Zone 5a)

This thread came just in time! I have a dilemma that I need some advice about. I committed to taking care of the gardens at the condo building I live in to help save us some money on landscaping service. In front of the building there are tons of iris that need to be dug and separated. I don't think I can count on 4 or 5 more weeks before frost and I've read they need that much time to recover after being moved. I want to dig them now so I can put in bulbs to bloom in the spring - the ground is literally solid with iris so there's no way to plant without moving them. I'm thinking that I could take them up, plant the ones I want and store the rest so if the ones I planted don't make it I'l have a reserve. Two questions 1) would it be better to put them in something like a clothes basket so the air can circulate, or box them up putting peat moss or something around them or just box and cover them and hope for the best 2) should I store them in a unheated place like a garage/storage room or bring them in to a warmer place. I guess that was more than 2 questions :) Thanks very much Dave

Oh sure he says... 2 questions!! You are zone 5, I'd be tempted to dig them up, plant the bulbs, replant what iris you are going to try to save. Keep some "spares" in a good box without extra "stuff", store in unheated place, NOT somewhere warmer. I would also try to store some in peat moss in a landry basket. I mean, you got PLENTY to keep as spare if they are that thick! Then you'll know in the future which is best. (Don't forget to report back about the results!)

Hartford, CT(Zone 5a)

Indeed, put a keyboard in front of me and I tend to ramble on. I will definitely try the different ways and see what happens. I have been digging and moving iris since April at my mom's house and my dad's grave (beautiful Eternity, but way overgrown). And then I go and take on this project...

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

hey dapapa, you can store some in my yard, haha, not really.

I have transplanted iris while they were in full bloom, they didn't bat an eye. I bet any you dig and any you save will be just fine. Good luck, I took on the beds at church, oh what a job, and I have helpers. We dug ditch lillies, they will not die even if you leave them on the pavement to die. More are coming up, oh my.

Hartford, CT(Zone 5a)

Actually Cathy I've been promising since I started digging in the spring to offer some on here. The ones I dug at my mom's got snapped up by neighbors and friends before I had a chance to get them on here. I don't think there's anyway I can use all that are out there even is some die over the winter so I may be able to come through with my promise. I believe they are mostly blues and purples they haven't blossomed much in a couple years. About 10 or 15 years ago I belonged to a church here in the city that had a little yard. I took it on an transformed it from a raggedy yard with a mess on the side away from the street to a little oasis. I put roses and hosta and lilacs and I can't remember what else. I worked really hard on it and it turned into a very inviting spot on an otherwise rundown street. But then I left, went away to Bible school and within a year the lilac (beautiful white) was cut to the ground, the roses went wild and the walls I built to create raised beds fell down. Oh well I tried :)

In one year Dave? I would be heart broke and discouraged. You are made of hardier stuff than me!

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I've found public gardening much harder than in my yard. I spread the word when we were digging the ditch lilies that they were free for the digging. I put up very clear signs, & wrapped warning tape around plants that were to be left alone. Returned after a weekend away to find 3 huge hibiscus plants gone. I was crushed. They were the anchor of my makeover plans. I will never understand why people think it is okay to destroy gardens at a church or anywhere else, for that matter. I'm sure that is what happened at your former church dave.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Dave, I agree with the others. I'd dig them now, put in the bulbs and then overplant the iris. I've moved iris as late as November here in Nebraska and they survived the winter. A few even bloomed the following spring. If you are planning to save some for future use, I'd put them in a box or laundry basket with nothing else to allow air circulation. Then I'd store them in an unheated garage or storage area rather than someplace warmer. You will probably lose some of them but it can't hurt to try. Good luck with your project!

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

dave, they will make it! so the question really should be, "What do I do with the leftover iris's?" lol. I've planted in the fall (i think a better time) and I've divided this summer. I even rototilled the old bed where I removed all the iris. The old rotten, spent rhizomes is all I left in the bed before i tilled. I've got some iris now growing in the previously tilled bed. So if even the old rotten spent mushy rhizomes after being tilled come back, I would say they are one tough plant. You'll probably even get some iris mixed in with the bulbs you will be planting if you plant the bulbs where you take out all the old iris.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Can you dig around them? A butcher knife does wonders in clearing out excess roots without disturbing blooms.

Lincoln, NE must be just a little warmer than here. We moved Moby's entire garden last year in November & woke to FROST the second day. All did will and had time to root. But she DOES have a tall wooden fence & bushes to slow down the freezing winds.

Iowa's winter winds can kill iris that are not rooted properly in my garden before the first hard freeze. First week in September is my last safe date. I lost 12 new dwarfs I planted in late September last year. Early snow and a freezing April wrought diaster in my iris beds last year.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

Oh Wanda, to lose your beautiful new dwarfs would be so disappointing. You have so many gorgeous plants. I love looking at your pictures. What is the name of the pink clump in the lower right (just about that devine blue)?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Wanda, it is a little warmer here in Nebraska. I've helped Mom in her garden (SW Iowa) and the difference amazes me. We're only a couple of hours apart, but I've got plants that survive here just fine that don't make it through winter there. Her soil is much better, nice black dirt compared to our yucky clay but God makes up for it in other ways with the warmer weather.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

The two tone pink ones are a fabulous clump of Cameo Rose TB.
The pale blue streaked one in the foreground is Gnu TB.
The blue clump of iris on the left is Full Tide TB.
The 2 tone cream and caramel is English Charm TB
The two tone white and orchid behind the butterfly fairy are Virga TB

This bed is 7 foot deep & 35 foot long. It is also filled with daylilies, lilies, siberian iris, clematis & other perennials + annuals to give all summer color.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

Oh Wanda, TOO FUNNY!!! You were answering my question with the description of the flowers to the OTHER post and I started to compare what you said to THIS picture, and I was confused!!! Silly me!!! Ok, admit it, my head is spinning and I have lots going on right now so I get a "little" more easily confused than normal! Wheewww.. glad I finally figured it out though! (I thought I was losing it there... )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.