OCTOBER THREAD 2007

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Hello,

I just made new forum...

I just woke up this morning and got me bad old injury returm again... My poor sore hips!

Hope it will be good this month... Oh boy, Remember Time Change for backward.... Also Beware of HALLOWEEN! Too! lol....

Here's the pic I took it last night pour raining down to my central A/C and sure it not bad as you see the wall bottom kind wet...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

We got a little gusher of rain and wind yesterday that lasted about 10 minutes. All my flowers in pots were turned over, there was metal flying through the air (from the scrap steel siding that is being installed), you would have thought it was a tornado going through here. After is was over the sun came out and I went out and set everything up again. We have about 7 baby kittens that are around 6 weeks old and they were out in it, couldn't get to a dry area, they are alright but they sure did get soaked.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I am looking forwards to the rain tomorrow. We need it baaaaad!! Plus that is less watering for me!! LOL.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Poor little kits! I would bet they were NOT happy for a while........

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I get more raining tomorrow too! Same as last nite... I hope not be lightnings again...

Today, I try go to Lowe's in morning hour and it got fire inside not know which department is...
Went to another Lowe's in Carthage...
Get some paint for my window trims... and sidewalk paint too (like on front steps.)...

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

I would like to have some more rain. Please pretty please.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

We got 1/4" this weekend that was so welcome. I saw a lot more lightening than we had rain. I think I would welcome a good downpour for once. Tho the soybeans are almost ready for harvesting.

I am working on that last huge ground level bed. I did some weedeating done this evening. I had removed most of the Giant FoxTail seed heads last week and sprayed the plants to kill them. Tomorrow I'll try to mow to finish it and then start laying cardboad to keep the weeds from coming back for a while.

I did receptionist duty at the food bank today. We served 139 families and had to turn away 3 or 4 because they came in too late and the computer programs used for the food bank were already turned off and most of the help to load the boxes were gone. We need about 30 minutes at the end of each day to get ready for the next day. Most of the ones we couldn't help were from other counties and had driven quite a way to get there. They didn't bother to call and see if we would still be there and when we stop taking new names. Somehow they seem to thing we are there 24/7 and get angry if we aren't. A lot of poeple go from county to county getting food. Some counties won't give food to out of country people but we serve about 8 counties all together. I think we are the largest and best food bank around. Our Salvation Army food bank is very good too. But they only pass out food from 9 - 12 M - F and do community service things in the afternoon.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I gonna have next bad T-storm later on and it will be 100% precpitation!

I have to turn it off my computer....

We have gotten one and a half inches from one bout of rain today then later on we got another quarter inch. Supposed to get more as the night goes on.

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Just popping in for a quick hello to each of my midwest friends. I'm busy with the family and work and just have'nt been on here. Hope each of you are doing well. Anything new? Not much new with me except I'm staying pretty busy. Have to go....... kids need this computer for homework now. I need a second computer would'nt you say??.............

Cuckoo

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Cuckoo, Christmas is coming up after all. I think a new 'puter would look great under the tree............. :^)

I AGREE!! A second computer is a must!!!

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

I would love to have access 100% of the time to stop in when I have time to Dave's. That day for more computers is coming....... and not soon enough!! Great to here from you guys. It's been awhile.......

Cuckoo

LOL. Yeah, it has been awhile since you have been on here. I was just reading Rural Missouri earlier and thought of you because of the restaurant thread. Gonna try to put the new on in there tomorrow.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Not much rain here on the farm as usual. Sedalia got over an inch from what my friend Barb said this evening. But then, according to her they always outdo anyone on every subject you mention. Gets tiring at times to listen to her constantly outdoing like that. I know a lot of it is exaggerating. It has to be.

We did get a bit of nice rain today in short showers that had plenty of chance to soak in. I worked out in it some of the time. Too much to do to come in for a light shower.

Cuckoo, it is so good to hear from you. From what you have told us about your farm and the family you are more than busy this time of the year. Did you get any apples? We lost all of our fall fruit to the late freeze.

Must go and get ready for bed. GOD bless and keep each of you.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I has been so busy paint my house... Not yet to finish window trims and etc...

More raining tonite and tomorrow thru Monday night...

1 more week to Central Midwest RU from now....

Speaking about Time Change will be on Nov. 4!

I thought it on Oct 28 Sunday but not as mark on November 4... ( As I remember Bush said that...)

This message was edited Oct 6, 2007 8:25 PM

The RU is sneaking up on me. lol. I still have to buy the supplies, talk to my friends who were interested in coming but don't know if they can, talk to my grandma, work all week, hope it don't rain tomorrow or Sat, clean my truck since I have potting soil on the seat, dust it a bit....maybe. Might not, doesn't seem worth it. lol. Make room for all the stuff plus people. If more than 2 say they are coming we are taking a car since there is no way I can fit 4 people in my truck. I could in my 78 but it had vinyl seats to slide on. lol

I have other stuff happening too but my brain is just about fried for the night so will think of them tomorrow.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Anyone coming to the RU, dmail me for directions. Do NOT use the ones from mapquest. They will take you in a circle(Square)&/or have you in someone's ditch/field. I can hardly wait until next Saturday.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

It didn't raining last night!

I know mapquest is not good enough to get the right direction!....

I use the Missouri Atlas & Gazetteer map book... Very Good from DeLorme: www.delorme.com

It easy to get there that map show me very good and clear to see what street rural is....

Those of you who remember Summer Shipp disappearing, her remains have been found in the Little Blue River in KC. Very sad but at least she was found.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I having a bad day today which this early am that my laptop got no picture at all so I just trying to figure it out and read the manuel book so as right now I remove the package battries out and put it back on it working good Whew! I save my trip to shop for repair my laptop!

Well, 3 more days to RU!

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Way to go, Rusty. Now you're a computer repair person too! Saved yourself at least $50! I've got my RU pile started; gifts, seeds, plants, cuttings, paper plates/forks,..... Need to buy some food and cook the beans, and get a couple pumpkins, yet but I'm ready and I think we'll be blessed with nice weather that day, too!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, it least about $300.00 for repair! So, I final lucky to know about it.... lol...

It is supposed to be in the low 60s on Saturday so make sure to bring a jacket since it will be chilly in the morning and late afternoon. It could change between now and then but so far that is the report I have heard.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

If you haven't contacted me for directions please contact me unless you have been to my place before. I don't want anyone getting lost. My name & phone # aren't in the phone book and not very many people know my online name. I think I have given my phone # to everyone who asked for directions. I'll have the computer turned on logged into DG so if I don't get disconnected I will be able to check in and see if anyone has DMailed me because they are lost. I won't get home until after 9 p.m. Friday night so it will be late Friday night before I will get any dmail from that day answered.

I got some red flags on wire this afternoon. They aren't very large, so look along the edge of the road for them. They are like the ones road crews use to mark lines for working along. I hope I have a white paint marker. If not, they will be marked in black. Only DG RU will be on them.

GOD bless and keep each of you. I hope to see you on Saturday.
EvaMae

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Thank You! See everyone on Saturday!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, I just got home safe and right before on HWY 54 & 71 which I took pic that God is watch over me to get home safe...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I almost near to home in Webb City HWY 171:

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Sedalia, MO

Rusty so glad you shared these beautiful pictures. God is such a master painter. Was really nice getting to meet you, and all the DG group. So glad everyone make it home safe. Looking forward to seeing all again next time.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Those are beautiful pictures Anna. I enjoy your photography and would like to know what kind of camera you have...thanks , Rose

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

It's Canon EOS Digital REBEL XTi 400D (10.1)...

This message was edited Oct 14, 2007 3:38 PM

I have to wait til my dad puts the cameraback where I can get my greedy little hands on it before I can post pics. lol. We are always stealing it from each other.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Great pictures, Anna. Thanks for sharing them with us. You drove a long way & I'm glad you enjoyed the RU. Those muffins were so good. I love muffins.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I wonder to know about persimmon grow in Missouri? I just love it to eat bread or pudding...

I try to find persimmon tree which it grow in zone 6 or 7...

Sedalia, MO

There should be alot of them around where you are, in the country, I found some out from my house aboute 8 miles, I love them to when they are ripe.

Persimmons grow around here too. I have heard them talk about it at work. Plus former coworkers have them in their yards. Very common around here.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I heard about Powell Garden Plant Sale on November 4 that's correct?

News to me but I will check real quick.

Ok, it didn't show up on the website. I will ask our horticulture director tomorrow about that.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Lots of persimmons around here. Local garden centers should carry them for you or be able to tell you where to find named varieties.

I do have a funny story about the persimmons. We live in a wooded area where they are common and each year when they are ripe the oppossums and racoons have a feast. When precious Gracie dog was a puppy she would roll in things as dogs seem to enjoy doing. She has beautiful long black and bronze hair. Her momma was a rottie and dad was just "passin' through". She has the look of an aussie with the rottie coloring and blocky body. One day I let her out for a run and she came back with not so beatiful black, bronze and orange hair! She'd had a grand old time rolling in persimmon poop. OMG she was covered to the point of stuff dripping off of her. I had to run out and wrap her up in a bedsheet to get her in for a bath. She is elderly now and I still have to closely supervise her during "persimmon poop" season. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.