H. vittatum?

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Maybe yes maybe no.

Still checking it out to be sure.

The bloom is 4" across at the widest point (between the two lower tepals). The 3" diameter bulbs are full of offsets as is the case with many species.

I love it whatever it is.

Thumbnail by raydio
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

I am growing vittatum from seed (Mauro's seeds) so It will be a few years till it blooms and we can compare. Whatever it is, it's wonderful!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Very pretty!!

Thanks for the props, Boojum and Marie.

A second bulb has produced a single scape which also contains two blooms. A young bulbs of any type may not produce the number of blooms that it will when it has matured some under good cultivation. The overall size of the bloom may also increase. Vittatum is said to produce "large" blooms, numbering 2-6 in the umbel.

I have found an exact match for the bloom type on the net, and unless they are incorrect in the ID, this veiny form is within the specie's variability. The substance is very good, firm and almost waxy in texture.

R.

The vittatum that Mauro has on his site is a lovely thing!
http://mpeixoto.sites.uol.com.br/amaryl/vittatum.html

In comparing mine with his, it makes me go back to wondering if mine has been hybridized somewhat along the way..........my bulbs came from India originally, but form whence before that, I couldn't say. Vittatum isn't indigenous to India.

His flower matches some early prints in that the red borders of the cental white stripe don't have the long veins seen in mine.

R.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.