Seeds and Tropicals?

Palmyra, PA(Zone 6a)

This may sound like a dumb question - but I am curious - can you start seeds and overwinter tropicals in the same house? Just wondering...

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

yes, I do and I keep the thermostat set at 60-but, I have a grhouse that is 100' ft and the thermostat controls are halfway down the grhouse, so the temps near the heater are really higher than 60, which is better for starting seeds.

Palmyra, PA(Zone 6a)

That helps me. Thanks for taking time to answer.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

sure-any more questions-just ask!

Dothan, AL(Zone 8b)

tigerlily just wondering what is your heating bill for that 100ft GH ?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I am not sure linda-I get the tanks filled (I have 3 grhouses) and two run off one 500 gallon tank (they are over 65' each), and when one of the tanks runs low, I call them and they come out and fill everything. I know that doesn't answer your question-I can say that I spend about 6500/yr in propane. It depends on the weather that year and when I start to heat it. Before they gave me a 500 gallon tank to go with the 350 gallon for the 100', I could go thru 325 gallons in maybe 15 days if it is cold out-and I think that that was with just half the grhouse. In January-when I am just starting seeds in that house, I put up a large piece of plastic halfway down the grhouse so I am just heating half the house, until I run out of room and have to take down the plastic. I have a 200k btu heater in that house.

Fulton, MO

I do it with a much smaller GH than TL. Heat mats help.

SB

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

You do what with a much smaller grhouse SB?? lol How big is your grhouse and how much to heat it a month? Easier to tell with yours.

Fulton, MO

Start seeds and overwinter tropicals in the same house.

Not completely sure of the costs because the GH is on the same tank as the house.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I was confused-I thought we were both answering the last question about heating. Forgotten what the original thread was about....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.