Moles, Does anyone know the right measurements?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Moles have now become my number 1 most hated thing. I know traps are the only sure fire way, but I am disabled and can't set them. I also hate dead things, so I couldn't empty them. Castor oil is a help. I am using 100% castor oil from a pharmacy. This was suggested to me by a customer at a nursery. 100% castor oil, cut with a small amount of dishwashing detergent, to break down some of the oil, the rest water, added to a hose end sprayer. I'm just not sure of how much of each. I think it's working, because it seems to have caused a lot of frenzied activity, but I would like to know the correct amount of castor oil and dish soap so I can quit experimenting. Anyone tried the 100% castor oil instead of the already prepared store products that are from 30% to 65%?
Thanks
Vicki

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've tried castor oil that comes in a hose-end sprayer to get rid of gophers since it's supposed to repel them, and I have to tell you it had absolutely no impact. I did notice activity after I used it which made me think it might be working, but after several months I realized that the gophers weren't going anywhere. The stuff I bought was probably 90+% castor oil with a bit of some surfactant to help it mix with water, later on I'll look and see if I still have the container and I'll let you know what the castor oil concentration was on the label (I may have thrown the container out though).

I really think you're wasting your time with the castor oil though, I would highly recommend calling in a landscape exterminator, I finally called one for my gophers after numerous plant deaths and months of spraying castor oil on the garden and sticking vibrating mole/gopher chasers everywhere, all to no effect. The exterminator had nice little pellets that he stuck down the gopher holes, when they get moisture from rain or irrigation, they release a gas into the tunnel that's toxic to the gophers (and I'm sure moles as well). This is stuff you can't buy yourself, only licensed pesticide operators can purchase it, and it's nice because it just kills the critters you want dead. The poison stuff you can buy yourself will also poison your cat (or the neighbor's cat) if they catch a mole/gopher that's eaten it, but this gas just kills the bad guys.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the response. I did find out the exact measurements. It only lasts 30 days. You wet the area. Use 6oz straight castor oil. Add 2 tablespoons of dish detergent, fill rest of gallon jug with water. This is the concentrate. Add to your hose end sprayer. Spray the area entirely, starting with outermost parts of the yard. Grass has to be sprayed longer. Then water the area a lot to help it soak into the ground. If you can do it just before a rain, that helps. Yesterday I had 11 areas in my yard they came up. (neighbors don't do anything with their yards, so they like mine). I'll let you know in a couple of days how it worked, or not.
Thanks
Vicki

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I will keep my fingers crossed for you that it works better for moles than it did for gophers! But if you still see them in a couple days, I would stop fooling around with the DIY mole remedies and just call the landscape exterminator, I wish I wouldn't have waited as long as I did to call them for my gophers.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Vicki, did you try peppermint oil?

There was a long discussion on how to deal with moles last year. You may find some help at this thread:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/647716/

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Traps if you can and if not a new product that works is: http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/talpirid-mole-bait.htm

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the replys. I did go to that link, and the poor woman who bought the peppermint oil was out about $30.00 and they just tunneled around it. The worm stuffs looks like an option, but someone tried that too, and it didn't work. It is Very expensive. I will report on what I have observed in my own yard after spraying 100% castor oil and 2T of dishsoap. The next morning I woke to one pushed up mound, and about 6 areas where the toe of my shoe was all I needed to push it together. The important thing is none of them were around my flowers, where I sprayed really heavily. It just looked sporadic and at the outside of the yard. (Like maybe they were leaving, hope hope.) This morning one small mound in my grass, ( you have to water the grass with it a lot more to penetrate) and 3 little breaks in the dirt not worth pushing down. Also, not near my flowers. I am hoping this will do it. Still it has to have helped some, the day before I sprayed there were 3 huge piles of dirt and 9 places where they had come up, 6 of them right around my flowers. Maybe it made some difference. I'll continue to let you know. Thanks for the ideas!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.