Fall's Here - Can I SAVE this plant ???

Middle River, MD(Zone 7a)

I purchased a red mandevilla in the early spring. I've been thrilled that it seems to have been very "content" in its location.....

Of course now that Fall has arrived in Maryland (zone 7), the "shoots" are not only all the way up the trellis, they're getting fuller. Wish it had longer to grow, I'd love to see how it develops.

Right now the night temps are in the 50's - although we did have an occasional night in the 40's. When should I bring it in?

Our first level (basement) has huge windows with Southern exposure.

I'm wondering if there is anyway to "save" it over the winter.

Thanks so much for any suggestions...... janice

Thumbnail by wallis104

Here's a second shot.....

Thumbnail by wallis104
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You can definitely bring it in for the winter, people do it all the time. Your big south facing windows sound like a nice place for it. As far as when to bring it in--you can probably wait a few more weeks, but when your nighttime temps are regularly hitting the low 40's I'd bring it in then, you don't want to take a chance on it getting hit by frost.

ecrane - thanks for your response. Do I need to cut it back? Would I still water it over the winter?

The basement has "some" heat - but it does stay relatively cool.....

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Thank you for asking/answering this question. I was about to ask the same thing. I have three I want to try to save. Can I cut them back before I bring them in? My space is much smaller inside, they will have to share an east window (morning sun). I don't care if they stay pretty in the winter, but I would like to not have to buy new next year as they are expensive here.

Thanks again!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't know if you need to cut it back, but you certainly could cut it back if that makes it easier to bring in. You would still water it, but obviously not as often as you would during the summer. I'd treat it just like you would any other houseplant during the winter, if you do that then it should be fine. Cool temps in the basement won't matter, I'm sure it's not cold enough down there for it to hurt the plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.