Thuja, viburnum & road salt

Milton, NH(Zone 5a)

I'm considering either T. occidentalis 'techny' or V. dentatum for a screen adjacent to a parking lot.
Are either of these adversely effected by road salt? (I posted the same q on DG trees & shrubs.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

You posted your question while I was on vacation; did you ever get an answer elsewhere?

I can't speak too much for Thuja occidentalis, but Viburnum dentatum (arrowwood) occurs as near-shore species on Cape Cod, MA. I believe this offers an idea of its salt tolerance.

Arrowwood is becoming more common as a hedge/buffer around parking lots here in KY, where road salts are thrown around like bird seed (especially after a dusting when drivers go berserk). Many of the materials used as road salts are less concentrated than seawater, so I'd venture that you'd be safe to try this species of Viburnum.

Naperville, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is a link about salt-tolerant plants that you might find useful:

http://www.mortonarb.org/res/CLINIC_selec_SaltTolerantPlants.pdf

Milton, NH(Zone 5a)

Thanks VV. I've checked out other posts you've made, with a name like ViburnamValley I figured you might know I thing or two about the species. Thanx dwk001 for the link.

Milton, NH(Zone 5a)

According to the list on the link you sent, dwk001, both my choices are in the moderate range. Hmmm, more to ponder.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I have a row of 8 Viburnum dentatum along our road. I love the blue berries. However, I'd worry more about wind damage than salt damage. Mine really suffer from the cold illinois winter winds. The bushes that are protected by our barn are three times as big as the ones further away from the barn. They were all the same size when we planted them 8 years ago, now the row looks like steps, from big and bushy on one end to barely alive on the opposite end.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Hmmm. Could it be that the closer to the barn, the more fertile the soil? (Is the barn, or was the barn for animals?)

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Only have one lonely horse in the barn. The barn runs parallel to the road with a 60' x 60' cement paddock between the two. It blocks the NW winds though. My greenhouse is also on the paddock which might help a little. Only the poor bushes that extend beyond that are suffering. I really wanted a nice hedgerow along that side too. It's the only part of the property that's exposed to drivers and all the dust they kick up when they pass by. It's a gravel road. I wish I had planted pines there instead. They'd be nice and tall by now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.